Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Joshi reviews SLCAS, Red World of Polaris
Posted by: K_A_Opperman (IP Logged)
Date: 7 February, 2012 03:12AM
I agree with you and CAS on knives--every man ought to carry one, at all times, and keep it in working order. I have mine with me most of the time. However, I'm not particularly good at sharpening.... I have a sharpening stone, but no one seems to agree on the best way to go about the business...the angles, the directions, oil vs. dry, etc.--and my father sure as hell doesn't know how, so I'm out of luck there ;)

Very impressive that CAS did such wonderful carving with one knife! I'd love to try it, only I don't know where to get stone, nor which sorts are the best. I've considered trying whittling, as well--surely a small block of wood could yield a grotesque head or idol? But then it wouldn't have the horrifyingly immemorial quality of stone....

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 7 February, 2012 10:16AM
K_A_Opperman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with you and CAS on knives--every man
> ought to carry one, at all times, and keep it in
> working order. I have mine with me most of the
> time. However, I'm not particularly good at
> sharpening.... I have a sharpening stone, but no
> one seems to agree on the best way to go about the
> business...the angles, the directions, oil vs.
> dry, etc.--and my father sure as hell doesn't know
> how, so I'm out of luck there ;)
>
> Very impressive that CAS did such wonderful
> carving with one knife! I'd love to try it, only I
> don't know where to get stone, nor which sorts are
> the best. I've considered trying whittling, as
> well--surely a small block of wood could yield a
> grotesque head or idol? But then it wouldn't have
> the horrifyingly immemorial quality of stone....

The old whetstone for sharpening straight razors is best - no oil - spit on it - then rub in an elliptical motion with the back of the blade slightly elevated so there is just a bit more pressure on the side you are sharpening - for large item (axes, shovels, picks, machetes, et al) the old stone wheel, pedal turned was far and away the best - easier to control than the constant speed power grindstone - after all, even the best surgeon's scalpel is not as sharp as the cave man's flint knife - and flint knives have been re-introduced just a few years ago for micro-surgery - but a really sharp pocket knife will cut paper held loosely in the air - One of my favorite scenes from an old movie - don't remember the name of it - has Richard the Lionheart confronting Saladin and shows the strength of his steel blade by whacking an iron bar in half - Saladin respond by tossing a silk veil into the air and letting it drift across his Scimitar, quietly dividing in half - ah, Damascus steel, if only we knew how. By the way, the best pocket knife you can buy in general is the one made for the Boy Scouts of America - really high quality. In Clark's day Montgomery-Ward (wonder how many of our correspondents ever heard of the first great catalog company?) made first class stuff - and, indeed, Clark's knife was ordered from the catalog, which, once the year was out found its continued use in the Outhouse - and oh, how we hated the "slick pages"!

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 7 February, 2012 01:37PM
If I remember correctly, in one of his books Jack Vance described an knife made of proteon. The edge is so sharp that it consists of only a single string of molecules. It cuts through wood like soft butter. And it's impossible to touch it without cutting yourself.

Date: 7 February, 2012 02:49PM
Farmer,

Thanks for the sharpening advice. I've heard of the elliptical method, and will try it shortly. I own no large blades--yet--so will not require a wheel. Hmmm...I do have one pretty big one--but it's still a knife--but it dwarfs my tiny sharpening stone! (which I think is really meant for touch-ups).

I have experimented in knapping, but only with glass--which lots of people do, actually. I have knapped 5 glass arrowheads, which I suppose could be utilized effectively in a pinch. Obsidian, I hear, is of similar hardness, but I haven't tried it. In future, I'd like to knapp a 'primitive' stone knife--but that requires a much higher skill level than I currently possess.

That Jack Vance knife sounds pretty scary.... Honestly, I wouldn't want to own one.... Merely drop it on your lap and you could loose a whole leg--or worse!

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 8 February, 2012 04:42PM
K_A_Opperman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Farmer,
>
> Thanks for the sharpening advice. I've heard of
> the elliptical method, and will try it shortly. I
> own no large blades--yet--so will not require a
> wheel. Hmmm...I do have one pretty big one--but
> it's still a knife--but it dwarfs my tiny
> sharpening stone! (which I think is really meant
> for touch-ups).
>
> I have experimented in knapping, but only with
> glass--which lots of people do, actually. I have
> knapped 5 glass arrowheads, which I suppose could
> be utilized effectively in a pinch. Obsidian, I
> hear, is of similar hardness, but I haven't tried
> it. In future, I'd like to knapp a 'primitive'
> stone knife--but that requires a much higher skill
> level than I currently possess.
>
> That Jack Vance knife sounds pretty scary....
> Honestly, I wouldn't want to own one.... Merely
> drop it on your lap and you could loose a whole
> leg--or worse!

I don't know where you can get high grade obsidian in California - surely somewhere - but at Paulina crater in Eastern Oregon there is a massive slope on the crater wall of the finest obsidian found anywhere -has been mined by our ancestors time out of mind.

Date: 8 February, 2012 11:49PM
Farmer,

I would love to get my hands on the stuff--someday. But I haven't been doing any of that lately. It requires a dedicated area, and I don't have one. I suspect I will get back into it in the future, at which point I will seek out some suitable stone. I'd prefer the adventure of finding it myself, but if I must, chunks of obsidian can be easily ordered online. Good to know the 'finest obsidian found anywhere' is only a state away from me....

Posted by: Gill Avila (IP Logged)
Date: 9 February, 2012 12:07AM
You want rare? Try getting a mineral called poppy jasper. The only place on Earth it can be found is in Morgan Hill California USA

Goto Page: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page