Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
"Unexpurgated" Texts VS. Original Manuscripts
Posted by: Atropos (IP Logged)
Date: 11 May, 2004 08:23PM
Alright, I have a query for all of you CAS scholars lurking out there. I remember reading in the introduction to one of my Necro Press editions that the unexpurgated versions of CAS's stories were not the same as the original drafts, as when editors sent CAS his stories back for revision, he would often make improvements above and beyond the call of duty. Hence, Steve Behrends collated the original versions of the stories with the edited Weird Tales versions to preserve the changes for the better that CAS made.
My question is how different are the original versions of the stories from the unexpurgated versions? Seeing as how the Weird Tales versions of most of CAS's stories are widely available, I have always wondered why Necro Press did not simply reprint the original manuscripts for comparison. However, I'm also one of those people who have always preferred simply reading a folio or a quarto text of a Shakespeare play to a collation. Anyway, I'd appreciate it if anyone can enlighten me on the differences between the original manuscripts and the unexpurgated versions.
-Daniel Harris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page