Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Popular new song by Blue Oyster Cult inspired by HPL story
Posted by: John Shirley (IP Logged)
Date: 16 June, 2021 06:06PM
The really good hard-rock song The Alchemist on the new Blue Oyster Cult album, The Symbol Remains, is inspired by HPL's first published story -- or anyway I heard it was his first published story--the Alchemist. It contains, also, a line from the story. If you dont' know BOC, it's the band that did Don't Fear the Reaper, Godzilla, Burning For You, and Black Blade, which is about Elric, and is from a lyric by Michael Moorcock. There is some overlap between BOC and fantasy fandom. I am a fantasy fan and writer, and always have been a fan of the band and they recruited me to write lyrics, at a certain point. Way past their hit making period--but I wrote 20 songs they recorded and then five more --these are on their first studio album in 20 years, The Symbol Remains. It's been really well reviewed and is selling well. I got paid. I wrote the two singles from the LP, Box in my Head and That Was Me, and several others--but sadly I did not write the lyrics for The Alchemist. That song, lyrics and music, is by the BOC's brilliant young recruit, Ritchie Castellano. The singer on the cut is Eric Bloom. If you like rock or even folk music I think you might appreciate this truly Lovecraftian song.

Link to THE ALCHEMIST song/video by Blue Oyster Cult, song inspired by HPL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page