> Thanks for your very interesting input regarding
> these questions. Your observations reinforce what
> I stated early in the debate, namely, that CAS
> abused alcohol at times during his life. (I never
> wrote that he was an alcoholic, as not everyone
> who abuses alcohol is an alcoholic). I'm less
> ready than you to dismiss Donald Sidney-Fryer's
> claim regarding other drug use, but, like you, I
> would be interested in knowing its basis.

I do not dismiss Don Fryer's assertions, I merely state that I do not know his sources. Perhaps he learned something from Eric Barker and Madelynne Greene that he hasn't shared with us yet.
It seems to me that saying that not everyone who abuses alcohol is an alcoholic is a distinction without a difference, since an alcoholic is someone who abuses alcohol--or perhaps we might say, the alcohol abuses him? Regardless, the bottom line is that alcohol does not seem to have affected Smith's creative life any. I think that this discussion is probably all talked out.
>
Quote:In conclusion, I would like to state that
> we are fortunate to have someone like Dr. Farmer,
> someone who knew Clark well, frequenting this
> board.
>
> No one here questions the value of Dr. Farmer's
> memories and observations relative to Clark Ashton
> Smith. Dr. Farmer's status as "oldest living",
> etc., etc., however, does not give him carte
> blanche in matters of etiquette.

Looking over the history of this thread, I would hardly call Dr. Farmer's dismissal of your views on marijuana as "BS" as something beyond the pale of net etiquette, but hey! I'm a veteran of the Barker wars on alt.books-ghost-fiction! Then again, maybe my skin's a bit thicker than yours. After all, I get called worse things at work everyday. By the same token, your dismissal of his views with the label-turned-epithet "conservative" doesn't exactly convince me either. As the recent U. S. elections show, not everyone (51% apparently) regards the term as derogatory. Although I have not looked into any studies regarding marijuana as a gateway drug, my own experience in this area does nothing to convince me that it is not. I know for a fact that it was a gateway in each case of drug addiction in my family. Also, as a practical matter, since cannabis is illegal in the United States, it would seem that any studies undertaken in this matter would be conducted by pro-legalization supporters, and thus subject to a certain degree of bias. Anyway, this is all off-topic, and I suggest we give it a decent burial.
Best,
Scott

Re: CAS' strongest work
Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 1 December, 2004 10:30AM
Scott:

First, as I explained before, the notion of whether CAS used drugs, the use of drugs as part of the creative process, etc., seems to me very much on topic for this forum. Second, it was Dr. Farmer who introduced the subject via his remarks.

Quote:
I do not dismiss Don Fryer's assertions, I merely state that I do not know his sources.

Your remarks following that part of your post give a rather different impression, but I am glad that you are open-minded regarding the subject.

Quote:
It seems to me that saying that not everyone who abuses alcohol is an alcoholic is a distinction without a difference, since an alcoholic is someone who abuses alcohol--or perhaps we might say, the alcohol abuses him?

I couldn't possibly disagree more. The college student who binge drinks on weekends, the occasional drinker who decides one night to drive under the influence of alcohol: All are, to my mind, persons who abuse alcohol without necessarily being alcoholics.

Quote:
Looking over the history of this thread, I would hardly call Dr. Farmer's dismissal of your views on marijuana as "BS" as something beyond the pale of net etiquette, but hey! I'm a veteran of the Barker wars on alt.books-ghost-fiction! Then again, maybe my skin's a bit thicker than yours.

Your skin is hardly thicker than mine. For instance, although I thought that it showed questionable judgment, the posting of the anti-Iraqi war banner on this Web site didn't bother me a bit. On the other hand, it sent you (and others) into a rage--vastly more off topic, let me add--that far exceeded anything that I have posted in this thread. To each his own "triggers", I suppose. I suppose, as well, that it's easy to dismiss personal remarks when they aren't directed at you.

It wasn't merely the use of the vulgar term "BS" that irritated me, but also Farmer's patronizing tone and sweeping, ad hominem generalizations and emotional "arguments", after which he would proclaim "Q.E.D.," like a strutting cockerel. Calling someone "out of [his] depth", wthout offering even the slightest counter-argumentation or evidence to support such an assertion, is also not good "Netiquette", in my book. Perhaps standards are lower on the rest of the Web (I would hardly compare this forum to--*shudders*--a newsgroup), but I expect better here. That doesn't mean that I won't remove the gloves, when necessary, though.

As for the alleged pejorative use of the term "conservative", it was Philippe who introduced that term, not I. I merely agreed that the "gateway" theory is conservative propaganda. I dislike ideologues of all stripes, be they conservative, liberal, or other, and the "gateway" theory is purely the product of ideology, not science. In this case, it reflects the ideological bias of conservatives. One can certainly note such a fact without being subject to the accusation that one is leveling an "epithet" at a given group.

(By the way, if studies regarding the "gateway" theory are likely to be funded by pro-legalization groups, then why would conservative groups even use such a theory? They must have studies of their own that suggest a different conclusion. If that's the case, then such studies would be open to the same objection of bias that you raise. Anyway, all this is moot: The burden of proof lies with the proponent of a proposition, and I am still waiting to see that proof regarding the "gateway" theory. I'm going to have a long wait, because--having actually looked into the matter--I know that there isn't any).

As for giving this discussion a "decent burial", I have suggested that on more than one occasion, as well, but, after I do so, others seem determined to respond and keep the discussion alive! So long as others continue to respond to it, I shall, as well.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 1 December, 2004 11:59AM
Well, to paraphrase Marc Anthony, "I come to bury this argument, not to perpetuate it." RIP.
Scott

Posted by: Chipougne (IP Logged)
Date: 1 December, 2004 02:54PM
Kyberean Wrote:
>As for the alleged pejorative use of the term "conservative",
>it was Philippe who introduced that term, not I. I merely
>agreed that the "gateway" theory is conservative propaganda.

Yes I did. Well, honestly Dr. Farmer's opinion on this matter seems to me rather conservative, isn't it? As far as I know the term "conservative" is used and shared by people who call themselves, often proudly, conservatives, so there was no pejorative use of the term implied in my post at all. One more time I guess I'll blame my sometimes partial mastery of the subtleties of English! But I think I see your point: "propaganda" isn't exactly laudatory. Well...
As for Don's sources there's an easy way to find out. Let's ask him! Next time I write to him, I will. It's an interesting matter, it deserves to be clarified, or at least more thoroughly investigated. If only for this rather mundane reason: whenever I quote Smith's poem, or show someone the chapbook of the Hashish-Eater I've published here in France, it always ends up like this: "But what about him, did he really take some?" And all I can answer is "We don't really know."

Philippe Gindre

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 1 December, 2004 04:17PM
Scott:

Quote:
Well, to paraphrase Marc Anthony, "I come to bury this argument, not to perpetuate it." RIP.

As I've mentioned, that sounds fine to me. I hope that others agree.

Philippe:

I agree that it shall be very interesting, indeed, to hear what Donald Sidney-Fryer has to say about the matter.

Goto Page: Previous12345All
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page