Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
"Free" 1925 Who's Who: Blackwood, Haggard, M. R. James, Machen...
Posted by: Dale Nelson (IP Logged)
Date: 21 August, 2021 10:33AM
I'm short of space for books and am removing some volumes. I have a library discard of the 1925 edition of Who's Who, the once-famous British reference book series. This volume has brief biographical data entries on the authors named and others.* The book might be a keepsake for someone who has room for it and can pay my postage costs. The book is very used-looking, with a lot of clear tape, library stickers and stamps, etc. It is not in "collectible" condition.

It weighs about 4 1/2 pounds, so even mailed within the United States at library rate it would not be cheap to send. I could find out what the post office would charge.

I'm afraid it would cost far too much to mail overseas. Recently I sent, to a friend in Ireland, an envelope containing a folded map, an advertisement in an envelope, a brochure, a small magazine, etc. It weighed a few ounces and cost almost $30 (and eventually came back here, cut open and with the map missing, but never mind). I can only guess that the book would cost over $100 to mail to Europe.

By the way, I remember better days in regard to shipping books. In the 1980s my wife and I had a friend living in Kenya, to whom we used to mail boxes of used paperbacks -- Doc Savage and so on. The boxes went by "surface mail." They took quite a few weeks to reach our friend, but it costs only a few dollars to send several books from Illinois to Africa. Those were the days...

As an old friend long ago wrote (approximate quotation):

Remember ye, these days of cheaper postage,
For they soon shall be a lost age.

*I'm keeping several other Who's Who, including one with an entry on William Hope Hodgson as well as Machen, MRJ, etc. in it.

Re: "Free" 1925 Who's Who: Blackwood, Haggard, M. R. James, Machen...
Posted by: Sawfish (IP Logged)
Date: 21 August, 2021 10:45AM
At 4.5 lb. it could be used to hold down one corner of a picnic blanket on a breezy day... ;^)

--Sawfish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The food at the new restaurant is awful, but at least the portions are large."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: 21 August, 2021 05:49PM
No takers so far for this "free" expensive item.

But would anyone like any of those entries to be typed up?

Posted by: AlHazred (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2021 01:12PM
I'm cautiously interested and depending on location might even be able to pick it up at some mutually agreeable location. I'm in New Jersey, but will be in South Carolina next month.

Date: 25 August, 2021 02:04PM
AlHazred, not having any takers on my offer, I took the book to the library a day or two ago and put it back on one of the discard carts with some other books I decided not to keep.

In any event, I live in rural North Dakota, so I don't suppose a meet-up would've been feasible.

If there's a moderator eyeing this thread, perhaps he or she would remove it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25 Aug 21 | 02:04PM by Dale Nelson.

Posted by: AlHazred (IP Logged)
Date: 26 August, 2021 05:32PM
Well, thank you for the kind offer!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page