Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
[Enchantress of Sylaire] Identity of the Werewolf Herb
Posted by: AlHazred (IP Logged)
Date: 24 August, 2021 11:42AM
So, I was rereading "The Enchantress of Sylaire," and I got to the following part:
Quote:
... Anselme watched in wonder while the wolf began to uproot with his paws certain plants that somewhat resembled wild garlic. These he devoured with palpable eagerness.
Anselme's mouth gaped at the thing which ensued. One moment the wolf was before him. Then, where the wolf had been, there rose up the figure of a man, lean, powerful, with blue-black hair and beard, and darkly flaming eyes. The hair grew almost to his brows, the beard nearly to his lower eye-lashes. His arms, legs, shoulders and chest were matted with bristles.
For reference, this is wild garlic:
Wild Onions

I always wondered what herb CAS had in mind when he wrote that paragraph. The herb, whatever it is, suppresses the werewolf magic on Malachie du Marais long enough for him to converse with Anselme. This time, as I reread the passage, I remembered the bit in The Odyssey, where Odysseus is armed by Hermes with the herb moly, which prevents him from being turned into a pig by Circe's drugged food.

Now, if you read the Wikipedia page on moly, there's a section which talks about the difficulty in identifying which real life herb Homer might have been referencing. The herb is described as a white flower with a black root. One of the strong contenders is the snowdrop, which, for medical reasons, could be called an "anti-lycanthropy" herb -- it provides chemicals which can counteract the anticholinergic agents in belladonna, mandrake, datura and other plants which can cause hallucinations of shapechanging.

This is snowdrop:
Snowdrop

I don't know if CAS was that well-read that he was able to make this connection, but I thought it was wild and wanted to share it.

ROLAND VOLZ

Favorite Authors: Jack Vance, Jorge Luis Borges, R. A. Lafferty, H. P. Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith

Re: [Enchantress of Sylaire] Identity of the Werewolf Herb
Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 24 August, 2021 12:30PM
AlHazred Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I always wondered what herb CAS had in mind when
> he wrote that paragraph. The herb, whatever it is,
> suppresses the werewolf magic on Malachie du
> Marais long enough for him to converse with
> Anselme. This time, as I reread the passage, I
> remembered the bit in The Odyssey, where Odysseus
> is armed by Hermes with the herb moly, which
> prevents him from being turned into a pig by
> Circe's drugged food.
>
> Now, if you read the Wikipedia page on moly,
> there's a section which talks about the difficulty
> in identifying which real life herb Homer might
> have been referencing. The herb is described as a
> white flower with a black root. One of the strong
> contenders is the snowdrop, which, for medical
> reasons, could be called an "anti-lycanthropy"
> herb -- it provides chemicals which can counteract
> the anticholinergic agents in belladonna,
> mandrake, datura and other plants which can cause
> hallucinations of shapechanging.
>

This is very interesting! Never realized there might be a grain of herbal truth to the ancient werewolf legends.

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 6 September, 2021 11:57PM
Smith was indeed very well-read and seldom, if ever, used a word he was not sure of. Read his poem "Moly" included here in the poetry section.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 6 Sep 21 | 11:57PM by casofile.

Posted by: Sawfish (IP Logged)
Date: 7 September, 2021 10:07AM
Hah!

R. A. Lafferty!

At his best, he's really something "different", huh? Very, very late frontier American in tone.

I first read All the Piece of a River Shore when I was maybe 11-12. I had not read anything like it before. Good kid stuff...

There's also a short story about a race of childlike beings, and their proto-activist protectress, who ride to earth in a tin can--grim irony, in spades...

--Sawfish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The food at the new restaurant is awful, but at least the portions are large."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 7 Sep 21 | 10:11AM by Sawfish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page