Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Weird Writing of Jorge Luis Borges
Posted by: Dale Nelson (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2021 03:27PM
As we prepare, perhaps, to set aside Robert Louis Stevenson for a time, what about taking up an acclaimed author who thought highly of the great RLS, namely Argentina's most famous non-winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature?

The extensive bibliographies I've seen are, understandably, in Spanish. My impression is that Borges' stories typically fall into two categories: stories of Argentine knife fighters & the like; and his fantastic stories.

I'll wait & see if there's interest in going ahead, & if anyone wants to nominate a story or stories to get discussion started.

Re: The Weird Writing of Jorge Luis Borges
Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2021 09:25AM
I have read "The Garden of Forking Paths" and "The Aleph" by Borges and I remember enjoying them. Really weird stories.

Date: 12 September, 2021 11:24AM
"The Aleph" is one of my favorite works of fantasy that I've ever read. The astonishing object at the center of the story must have few peers indeed in the literature. One that occurs to me is the table of moving figures in Charles Williams's The Greater Trumps.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 12 September, 2021 02:24PM
I have Borges's Dictionary of Imaginary Beings. Hmmm, ... after Minicthulhu's and Dale's last two comments it seems like I have one more short story writer I must try. I hear him mentioned a lot, especially on the Ligotti forum for some reason, but never put much weight behind it.

Date: 12 September, 2021 03:22PM
"Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius" is another story that might appeal to you, Knygatin, if you decide to give JLB a try. JLB even wrote a story, "There Are More Things," that he dedicated -- probably with tongue in cheek -- to Lovecraft. His story "The Immortals" may remind one of an element in "The Whisperer in Darkness."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12 Sep 21 | 03:23PM by Dale Nelson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page