Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Devil's Notebook
Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2004 04:49PM
I'm not finding many epigrams such as are collected in "The Devil's Notebook" collected here on site; is it possible I'm not looking in the correct place?
Knowing Don Herron as I do, I'm not surprised that this book is not represented here, but surely many of the various epigrams, etc. are available from other sources?
-Ron

Re: The Devil's Notebook
Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2004 05:23PM
It was on the site, it was removed when Don Herron got huffy, feel free to contact him and tell him -- "you decide"

There is of course

Epigrams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14 Dec 04 | 05:26PM by Boyd.

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2004 11:38AM
I figured as much-- but isn't there also a handful of epigrams collected in "Spells & Philtres"? Unfortunately I'm having to post from work as my home computer is all fouled up and won't let me access any web pages, so I can't check my books and files. I know I also have a photocopy of a page or so of epigrams (cocktails and creme-de-mint, I believe) which I'll be happy to send your way soon as I locate it.
We'll have to work on getting a larger selection here on site; I think these are an important facet of CAS' genius, a sort of distillation of philosophy, satire, wit, and humor.

-Ron

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2004 07:47PM
Yes, Ron, as to Spells and Philtres - there is a whole section of sayings and "apothegms" - my favorite - "Sweet are the uses of Obscurity." - "The salvation of the Barnyard fowl is the damnation of the Eagle." etc... Clark and I discussed these and our(his mostly) experience of living engaged and on the precipice as opposed to the
pedantic living cliche's who imagine they understand the creative process. He was also fond of Dr. Arrhur Bestor's quote in his book,
"Educational Wastelands" = published in the mid=50's - where he describes the two kinds of teachers (fill in the blank): one who ends his career with 40 years of experience, and the other who has had one experience 40 times.

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 16 December, 2004 05:01PM
I don't know whether they are in Spells & Philtres, but these are my among my favorite CAS aphorisms from The Devil's Notebook:

"It does not follow that onions are superior to narcissi, because they happen to be edible".

"Sanity is the madness of the greatest number".

"All human thought, all science, all religion, is the holding of a candle to the night of the universe".

It's a shame that we cannot have the entirety of The Devil's Notebook on this site.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page