Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
looking for the necronomicon
Posted by: Lukas (IP Logged)
Date: 15 March, 2005 01:12PM
hello,
some weeks ago i have an idee, to search for the necronomicon (the orginal, or a copy of the orginal). you must not tell me that it doesn t exist i want to organise a small gorup of people who like the lovecraft books and the whole cthulu thing. i m not from a sekt or something like this!
i find allready one person who is interessted in it and we come to the conclusion that we need something about 2 more.
if you are interessted and/ or want more informations than write to me.
sorry for my bad englisch but i m not nativ english speaker
email: cheap_5@hotmail.com

Re: looking for the necronomicon
Posted by: geocorona (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2005 12:30PM
A Necronomicon would have been a compilation, by a medieval Arabian scholar, of cosmological knowledge that had otherwise been lost.

One source of this compilation would have most likely been the Pnakotic Manuscripts, a concept that was probably based upon the real lost book, Phoenician History by Sanchuniathon, c. 2000 BCE.

[phoenicia.org]

The Necronomicon, however, doesn't have such a strongly obvious model in the real world. Perhaps it was inspired by many things, including John Dee's fanciful interpretaion about what the (at that time lost) Book of Enoch contained.

Posted by: geocorona (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2005 09:08AM
The title, no doubt, was inspired by both the Egyptian Book of the Dead and the Tibetan Book of the Dead

"The Tibetan Book of the Dead was first published in 1927 by Oxford University Press, London. Dr. Walter Y. Evans-Wentz coined the title because of parallels he found with the writings of the Egyptian Book of the Dead."

[www.summum.us]

Not without coincidence, "History of the Necronomicon" is believed to have been written by Lovecraft in 1927.

[www.necfiles.org]

Posted by: Lukas (IP Logged)
Date: 7 April, 2005 01:43PM
thanks for the informations, i tried to read the stuff at the site phoenicia but its really difficult, and i m not english

so or so, we are now 3 people, still searching for someone how wants to dive in horror

Posted by: Glyptodont (IP Logged)
Date: 2 October, 2006 12:13PM
There's a fake Necronomicon which can be searched and found on Amazon. This is a recent creation of a mythos expert who "brainstormed" what the original might have been like. It is all in good fun, but totally bogus.

There's really no actual Necronomicon. It's an invention. Still, even today, enthusiastic readers approach librarians hoping to check it out. [ ! ]

I don't know if anyone is aware of it, but the name of the "mad Arab" who is supposed to have written the Necronomicon is actually a fictional pen-name that Lovecraft himself used with some of his juvenile writings as a schoolboy. As I say, it was all in good fun, both then and now.

Posted by: rutledge_442 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2006 04:01PM
The Necronomicon is false, Lovecraft admited it and he didn't believe in the occult or paranormal.

I did have the "necronomicon" but it was fake. it didn't even mention "shoggoth's" or "elder things" like lovecraft said it did.

but i think the closest you will get to a necronomiconian book is probably an ancient Sumerian tome. apparently that is where lovecraft came up with names of some of the beings in his pantheon.

Cthulhu-Ktulu
Azathoth-Azag-thoth
Shub-niggurath-Ishingirrab

but that came from the fake necronomicon.let me look up those sumerian gods right quick...........................................................................

so far they are not even sumerian gods, only fictional.
then again i got the information from wikipedia.org, i will have to look it up at the library. i will update.
-J.P.Rutledge

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2006 01:11AM
rutledge_442 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> but i think the closest you will get to a
> necronomiconian book is probably an ancient
> Sumerian tome. apparently that is where lovecraft
> came up with names of some of the beings in his
> pantheon.

You've been reading the Simon Necronomicon, I see. :-) Don't believe a single word it says.

>
> Cthulhu-Ktulu
> Azathoth-Azag-thoth
> Shub-niggurath-Ishingirrab
>
> but that came from the fake necronomicon.let me
> look up those sumerian gods right
> quick.............................................

They are not even Sumerian.

Yrs
Martin

Posted by: Glyptodont (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2006 08:14AM
I did have one idea.

Fragments of the Necronomicon appear as quotes in stories by Lovecraft and his coterie of writing friends.

I was just reading a collection of stories edited by Robert M. Price entitled "The New Lovecraft Circle." Several stories had lengthy quotes from the Necronomicon running as much as half a page each.

Perhaps someone could search through this stack of books and assemble all the supposed quotations. Put them end to end and call it the "Necronomicon Fragments.'

As for imaginary arcane books using the word "fragments," don't forget the Caelano Fragments from Derleth's Trail of Cthulhu. These were assembled by Prof. Shrewsbury after doing research in the great library at Caelano.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2006 10:08AM
The last time the Neronomicon was seen was on the set of Bruce Campbell movie.
Ask the prop man where he put it.

Facetiously yours,
Dr f

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2006 03:15PM
Glyptodont Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps someone could search through this stack of
> books and assemble all the supposed quotations.
> Put them end to end and call it the "Necronomicon
> Fragments.'

Lin Carter tried to write out the entire Necronomicon, using all the fragments he found in Mythos fiction up to his day. He died before he finished, but his text can be found in the Chaosium Necronomicon. Quite interesting, too.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2006 05:22PM
"He died before he finished...."

At least he wasn't devoured by an invisible monster before a horrified crowd of onlookers.

Scott

Posted by: Gavin Callaghan (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2006 06:33PM
>>"The last time the Neronomicon was seen was on the set of Bruce Campbell movie.
Ask the prop man where he put it.

Facetiously yours,
Dr f"

Ahh, Evil Dead 2 ---a masterpiece! And I'm not being facetious.
GDC

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 20 October, 2006 07:56PM
"a masterpiece" - the movie, not the book

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page