Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Lovecraft's Fungi
Posted by: Zarak (IP Logged)
Date: 5 May, 2005 11:00AM
Does anybody know of any Fungi criticism or analysis, or just about HPL's poetry in general?

Re: Lovecraft's Fungi
Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 5 May, 2005 03:39PM
I know of a few bits and pieces about the Fungi, plus others about his poems. You should wait, however: there's a book being written about the poetic circle of HPL, that includes his poetry in general. That will list most of the criticism in its works cited list, but it's also going to be the most detailed examination of his poetry thus far. I know, I wrote it.

If you're interested in it, I can drop you a line when it's published by Mythos books. It should be out some time this year. Until then, you can also consider trolling through Joshi's bio of HPL for tidbits.

*Author of Strange Gardens [www.lulu.com]

*Editor of Calenture: a Journal of Studies in Speculative Verse [calenture.fcpages.com]

*Visit my homepage: [voleboy.freewebpages.org]

Date: 5 May, 2005 04:55PM
Thank you for a quick and detailed reply. The reason for my asking about Fungi is a diploma I'm now writing and the thing is that in Russia it's very hard to get any materials on the matter. I've surfed through dozens sites and libraries as well but there's nothing useful there. I've got a book by Joshi and it's really good ut the information provided is not enough for a good and full-scale analysis I'm now working on... Sorry for this crap I'm writing I just don't know what to do - I've got to submit my paper in a week. Well thanks anyway!

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 6 May, 2005 12:10AM
There are two excellent essays on the "Fungi," one by Robert Waugh and the other by Dan Clore, in my book A CENTURY LESS A DREAM: SELECTED CRITICISM ON H. P. LOVECRAFT, which is available from Amazon.com or the publisher, Wildside Press. Check with Gavin Smith at gavinicuss@hotmail.com to see if he has it in stock also.
Scott Connors

Date: 6 May, 2005 01:42AM
I've just finished a piece on the fungi for future publication, that may interest you. If you send me an email, I can forward it to you. If you use it, cite it as forthcoming. If it's no problem, I could also pass on the chapter on HPL, and you can treat as being, likewise, forthcoming.

In addition, if you'd like to pass on questions and any queries by email, I'll happily reply. You could cite the correspondence that results, of course.

Check out, if you can: H. P. Lovecraft: four decades of criticism.

Any help that I can give is help given happily.

Edited: I forgot to add, you could also approach S. T. Joshi himself, and see what assistance he could give you on short notice. If you wish, I could ask him, providing you pass me an email address for him to send any replies to.

*Editor of Calenture: a Journal of Studies in Speculative Verse [calenture.fcpages.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 6 May 05 | 01:47AM by voleboy.

Date: 6 May, 2005 05:00AM
I just have no words to express how happy I am having met on the net a man who writes books on my favorite HPL. Yes, SURE I want your piece on the fungi and the chapter on HPL, and would very much appreciate your sending them to me. I promise that I'll cite them as forthcoming. My email address is zarak@mail.ru

I have the book you wrote about by S.T. Joshi H.P. Lovecraft: four decades of criticism. It's really good - I enjoyed it, but it's the only good book our Moscow library of foreign literature has on HPL.

Thank you so much for giving me an opportunity to send questions by email. I'll happily send some. It's an honor to communicate with such an authority like you.

As for approaching S.T. Joshi himself… Is it ok? He's such an expert… But if he can answer, could you please ask Mr. Joshi - what he thinks of Lovecraftian sonnetry.

Many thanks for your kind assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Bookless Russian student.

Date: 6 May, 2005 05:42PM
G'day!

I dropped you a line, and asked a few people if they'd consider dropping you a line as well.

I'm going to see what I can find in some online resources as well. There may be full articles in some providers, and these I would happily pass on.

Don't forget to start looking from the H. P. Lovecraft Archive at: [www.hplovecraft.com]

ciao!

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2005 05:07PM
I don't have time to convert my computer to the Russian alphabet, so I will just say welcom Gospodin Zarak - have no hesitation writing or phoning Joshi - he just puts his pants on one leg at a time, same as the rest - I am personally delighted to see your interest, I will try to write you on your email, and may be able to send you some
books to add to your resources - something I recommend to all readers of this site.
Let's help the kid out.
Your writing reminded me of an experience in an American Russian restaurant where the drinks were awful, and I just blurted out from half=remembered schoolboy Russian:
"Eta Vodka, elee schee!"
Much success
DrFarmer

Date: 13 May, 2005 07:48PM
I agree, Dr. F., let's give what help we can. I have sent some of my articles, and have answered some questions, but I'm sure that more of us can give the benefits of our knowledge.

I just hope that what I can add is of use and interest.

Keep those questions coming!

Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2011 06:15PM
I have been obsess'd with the Fungi for years. One of the happiest days I hope to live long enough to see will be when Hippocampus Press publishes David E. Schultz's annotated edition of FUNGI FROM YUGGOTH, which I believe will also be amply illustrated by a wide variety of artists. The book is going to be amazing. The happiest moment in my life was when I stood next to S. T. in front of 10 Barnes Street, where HPL lived when he wrote ye Fungi. I held all three of ye Penguin Classis editions of Lovecraft's Tales and my old pb edition of FUNGI FROM YUGGOTH AND OTHER POEMS. My imagination worked overtime & I felt HPL to the core of my soul, & thank'd ye dark stars for my life as a Lovecraftian writer. My newest book, just publish'd, is a 37,000 word prose-poem/vignette sequence entirely inspired by ye Fungi. I wrote it after listening to Will Hart's wonderful reading of ye sonnets on his CthulhuWho1 channel at YouTube. If you've not listen'd to Will's readings, you are in for a treat. How I long for a book-length study of FUNGI FROM YUGGOTH.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page