Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Open Letter to the Editor of LOST WORLDS
Posted by: Benocles Czar (IP Logged)
Date: 9 January, 2006 01:42AM
Scott,

As editor of Studies in Fantasy Literature, sister journal to Lost Worlds, I believe it to be my duty to write you a congratulatory letter on the first two issues of your journal. I must confess, in my younger years, Clark Ashton Smith was an author that I had always heard about in passing, but had never felt the need to seek out. It was though, on my visit to South Australia several years ago, that I purchased a copy of Fantasy All-Time Greats (Robinson), edited by Robert Silverberg and Martin H. Greenburg. In this volume of stories, I read Smith's "The Weird of Avoosl Wuthoqquan". In all honesty, I found the tale to be entertaining, but I could not consider it a fine story at that moment in time. Foolishly, I told others that I had not been impressed by Smith based of this single reading (though finding Smith in Australia is all but impossible). It was then, upon joining the Esoteric Order of Dagon, I read some of Smith's poetry by way of your fanzine Continuity. It was there, that I fell in love with the poetry of Clark Ashton Smith, thanks to the poem "Nero". Being a avid reader of ancient history, this particular poem spoke to me and it has remained one of my favourite poems by Smith. Determined to fall in love with his prose, it was through the grace of bookseller Gavin Smith, that I was able to purchase a copy of the Arkham House edition of Rendezvous in Averoigne. For some unknown reason, I read "The Beast of Averoigne" ahead of the others. It was this very story that heralded in my appreciation of Smith's short stories. A solid story, illustriously written, with a captivating setting. I could ask no more. No sooner, I began to collect Smith and shared my enthusiasm of his works, with fellow readers. Today, I am a great fan of his poetry and find that those stories sent in Averoigne, or an Oriental locale, most appealing. It is my hope that Clark Ashton Smith receives the recognition he deserves, as poet, prose writer, artist and sculptor. Today, I remain an advocate and fan of Smith's creative output.

As to the contents of the first two issues, Lost Worlds is off to a great start!

"The Face by the River" was a most enjoyable short story, somewhat Greco-Roman in influence (i.e. Narcissus) and a testament to the belief that not all is lost within the halls of literature. From the original version of Lovecraft's The Shadow Out of Time to Leiber's Cthulhu Mythos version of "Adept's Gambit", what we believe to be lost to us, may not always be the case. The world impossible, is a reflection of the unknown. I look forward to the proposed symposium of this story and other recently discovered Smith prose.

"Eblis in Bakelite" was an interesting, early review of Smith's work but I found Sidney-Fryer's rebuttal to be somewhat unnecessary. This is not to say it was a poor piece, on the contrary, rather, the idea of writing a response to a negative review seems fruitless - as it would be for me to write a response to H. R. Hays' review, "Superman on a Psychotic Bender" (1946), of Robert E. Howard. What I would have found more interesting is a single essay challenging several early reviews of Smith's work (whether disputing or spotlighting original perceptions later adopted by Smith scholars) or, as in James Van Hise's The Fantastic Worlds of H. P. Lovecraft (1999), publish a series of mini-responses by scholars, like those on John Brunner's "Rusty Chains" article from 1956.

Rockhill's essay was an insightful piece of criticism, focusing on one of Smith's smallest fiction-cycles. As stated, the richer unedited versions of CAS tales need to supersede the standard editions; perhaps an essay comparing original and published version of Smith's texts, is well due. Noting Carter's involvement in this school of thought, would warm the heart of Stephen J. Servello, editor of Apostle of Letters: A Critical Evaluation of the Works of Lin Carter (WildCat Books, 2005). Let us hope annotated editions of Smith's works, follow suit.

"Who Discovered Clark Ashton Smith?" was not a "scholarly attempt to end the eternal CAS question", it was a true success in answering a much debated query. This was the highlight of the issue and whilst waiting for Smith's biography, such essays reveal to me more about Smith the man, rather than Smith the author. In reading your essay it places Smith into a exciting perspective, as we are able to see the rise of an unknown into a respected and truly gifted individual.

Turning to issue two, "A Chinese Fable" is a poignant entry and seemingly hints at what I suspect, is one of many unpublished poems by Smith.

Chappell's "Communicable Mysteries: The Last True Symbolist" was a well written essay and reaffirms the belief that had Smith never written prose in his lifetime, we would still be blessed with a great American poet. Smith's poetry is such a powerful symbol of creativity, in addition to being a bridge to the imaginative psyche of humanity, that there should be no expense as to the lengths in which his scholars should study and promote all of Smith's poetical outputs. On that note, I suspect you are aware of the poetical studies conducted by Phillip A. Ellis? You may wish to seek an essay by his hand.

Sidney-Fryer discussion on the ever-present theme of Atlantis in Smith's works, has Donald returning to form and writing essays in a clear, entertaining and informative manner. I learnt a great deal from this essay and am glad that it was excavated and revised for publication. It would be of interest, to see a future essayist use this as the template to further explore the influence of Greek and Roman culture and influence upon the works of Smith. A Classicist school of thought seems a natural one to me.

Hall's listing of Smith's letters in the San Francisco Bay Area is of interest to the truest of scholars, as it shows us the wealth of information our often neglected libraries house. I look forward to the next instalment.

I look forward to many more issues of Lost Worlds Scott. You are a fine editor who has a keen sense of what is important to the reader and I eagerly anticipate any future publications by your hand, for despite what you may think, the Clark Ashton Smith community would be a darker place without your ever burning torch of productivity.

Cheers
Benjamin Szumskyj
Editor, Studies in Fantasy Literature

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page