Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Rediscovered CAS Poem
Posted by: NightHalo (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2006 12:59AM
Some of you may know of this poem, but since it is not on the site yet, I want to reintroduce everyone to it. I found it last night while hunting for more George Sterling periodicals. It is originally from "Overland Monthly and Out West Magazine (1868-1935); May 1930; Volume 88, #5; pg 149.

Song at Evenfall

I have no silver gifts for thee,
No scented words nor frankincense:
Only this love, that burns in me
Like a vain fire in valleys whence
The sun has flown beyond the sea.

Though moon and dawn alike delay,
Let love the mobled ways illume,
As once, on evening roads, the ray
Of Venus thrilled athwart the gloom
And led us home from far away.

Clark Ashton Smith

If anyone wants a copy of the original periodical. Just let me know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26 May 06 | 12:59AM by NightHalo.

Re: Rediscovered CAS Poem
Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 27 May, 2006 03:21AM
Have to checked to see whether this one will be included in the forthcoming three volume set?

Ciao!

Phillip

*Author of Strange Gardens [www.lulu.com]

*Editor of Calenture: a Journal of Studies in Speculative Verse [calenture.fcpages.com]

*Visit my homepage: [voleboy.freewebpages.org]

Date: 27 May, 2006 04:13AM
You raise a good point Phillip, but I wouldn't know who to ask precisely. Does anyone know?

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 27 May, 2006 06:18AM
NightHalo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You raise a good point Phillip, but I wouldn't
> know who to ask precisely. Does anyone know?

S. T. Joshi would be the guy to ask. No worries -- I sent him an e-mail a couple of hours ago asking about this poem.

I suppose he knows about it -- THE OVERLAND MONTHLY is after all one of the magazines who was known to publish CAS -- but it never hurts to be on the safe side.

Yrs
Martin

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2006 05:17PM
"Song at Evanfall" will indeed be included in the three volume set. Joshi does have a copy. I also have a copy, since I have all of the issues of the OVERLAND MONTHLY in which Smith appeared, save only one (the 1925 issue with "Enchanted Mirrors"). I take it that you ran across a copy of the 1930 issue with "Song" somewhere in Berkeley. Good job hunting. Please let me know if you run across any issues of Raine Bennett's BOHEMIA with Smith in it!
Best,
Scott

Date: 28 May, 2006 05:57PM
Scott,

You're close. I accessed a database which had all the old Overland Monthly magazines as well as other periodicals like Current Opinion and Harpers. I found "Enchanted Mirrors," but I just have a little clip of his poem from it, not the entire issue unfortunately.

And I am pleased to hear it will be in the three volume set. I am looking forward to it and I just need to scrounge up some money to buy it. :) I think I will do that once I move in late July or August. However in the meantime, I will keep my eye out for Bohemia.

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2006 10:55PM
Have you checked with the Library of Congress to determine what libraries hold issues of BOHEMIA in them? I can always check if there's anything here in Australia, although that would be a slim hope at best--it does have a selection of amateur publications on microform, though.

*Author of Strange Gardens [www.lulu.com]

*Editor of Calenture: a Journal of Studies in Speculative Verse [calenture.fcpages.com]

*Visit my homepage: [voleboy.freewebpages.org]

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 1 June, 2006 02:19PM
Actually, the California State Library has all of the Smith appearances in BOHEMIA, so bibliographically we're covered. I'd just like to add copies of the actual issues to my own collection, since I'm concentrating on non-pulp appearances of Smith's work (Not that I don't have a few pulps as well. :-) )
Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page