Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Typical CAS text
Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 4 September, 2006 01:08AM
Hi everybody,

I'm writing an article on CAS for a Swedish weird-fiction magazine, and my editor has asked me for a quotation from a CAS story as an example of his unique style. My problem is that there are so many good passages that I'm having difficulty choosing the "right one". What would you guys suggest that I use?

Yrs
Martin

Re: Typical CAS text
Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 4 September, 2006 01:32AM
The style varies so much depending upon the setting. it is difficult for me to think of just one tale or one excerpt from a tale. I would suggest the opening to "Xeethra", "The Weird of Avoosl Wuthoqqan", or one of the prose poems such as "The Shadows" or "From the Crypts of Memory". The opening paragraph(s) to some other favorites that come to mind (notably "The Maze of the Enchanter" and "The Coming of the White Worm") may sound too rich out of context.

Jim

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 4 September, 2006 09:03AM

I would suggest you choose one of two approaches:

choose one of the "jeweled" descriptions as you find in the Double Shadow
or the final lines of The Monster of the Prophecy advising the highly advanced philosophy of "minding one's own business" -- Of course you could quote Captain Volmar in venturing "where no man has gone before" - which might rattle your professor's cage a bit. If you must use a Story and not a Poem, almost any descriptive passage from the Zothique tales will serve, the previous writer's suggestion is also excellent. If you can use a poem, almost any line from "Hashish Eater" or the poems about mythological creatures who have fled for safety, or are otherwise lost to the world's loss.

Posted by: Gavin Callaghan (IP Logged)
Date: 5 September, 2006 07:08PM
One of his prose poems would be good. I don't have my copy of the Necronomicon Press edition at hand, or I'd suggest some specific lines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 5 Sep 06 | 07:09PM by Gavin Callaghan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page