Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Lost Worlds: The Journal of CAS Studies #3
Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2006 11:59AM
I've enjoyed the first two issues, and I see now on Shocklines that #3 is available.

But... it's $15 for 56 pages! At this price, I suspect only contributors and a few others might actually purchase it?

Re: Lost Worlds: The Journal of CAS Studies #3
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2006 12:27PM
We have also gone to 8 1/2 by 11 inches in format, with a larger font size to improve legibility. The word count of this issue is just under twice what the previous issues were. In addition, the color Smith painting used on the cover is also printed full size as a stand-alone. All of these changes are in response to feedback from the readers, but they don't come cheap. I agree that the price is a bit on the steep side, but the Robert E. Howard zines seem to be able to support similar prices. We're not making a whole lot of money on this, folks, just trying to make enough to pay for the next issue.

Best,
Scott

Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2006 03:14PM
I want to say nice things about it as my copy was free. So it's large and the cover art is nice.

Unfortunately the production values are sub-par footnotes all misnumbered line breaks where there shouldn't be and none where there should be. The huge graphics's for the author name that take up a third of the page are a bit obvious. If you don't have the content, don't print the pages I say. The internal CAS head pics where done poorly.

The text contents ho-hum, sorry guys but I have to call it like I see it.

Date: 22 September, 2006 04:31AM
:(

Scott

Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2006 09:22PM
Well, I hate being the one who started a negative thread about the only CAS journal going... As I said, I enjoyed the previous two issues and I would buy this one if it was cheaper. My hope is to find a second-hand copy cheaper (good luck with that huh?) or maybe Shocklines will have some crazy overstock sale someday.

I will say... if the sales for this one are down from the previous issues (I know it's a small market to begin with), I'd recommend going back to an affordable version for the next issue. Doubling the price from one issue to the next seems like a slap in the face to your readers, even if there is more wordage.

I speak as a poor bastard, hopefully for Lost Worlds, I'm in the minority here.

Date: 24 September, 2006 11:58PM
Please keep in mind that this is essentially a double issue: it has slightly less than twice the wordage of the other two issues, plus it is in a format that is twice the size of the previous ones (8.5 by 11 inches vs 5.5 by 8.5 inches) and 12 point type vs 9 point in the old issues. And while I am sorry that Boyd is underwhelmed (my choice of words, not his) by the contents, I'd have to say that an unpublished 100+ line poem by CAS, an unpublished memoir of Smith, and the symposium would make this worthwhile.
The biggest complaint that we had for the first two issues was that it was too hard to read because of the size. We have addressed the problem, but that meant increasing the price. Perhaps we should have advertised this as "LOST WORLDS nos 3-4" to create the impression that it was a double issue--which it is--but that has always seemed a trifle disingenuous to me (look at the last few issues of THE ROMANTIST for example, all of which appeared several years apart, all were the same size, yet the last few were double- or even triple-numbered.
250 copies were printed of issue 3. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a copy to show up used.
Best,
Scott

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2006 02:45AM
I'm still waiting for my copy, so I can't comment upon the physical format of it yet, but I am in anticipation of it. I am looking forward especially to the poem Scott mentioned; particularly given my love of CAS as the supreme poet. I am also looking forward to the cover art.

I am happy enough that I have been able to contribute a piece, and that said piece was accepted for this issue.

*Author of Strange Gardens [www.lulu.com]

*Editor of Calenture: a Journal of Studies in Speculative Verse [calenture.fcpages.com]

*Visit my homepage: [voleboy.freewebpages.org]

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2006 09:36AM
Yeah, I'm still waiting for my copy also (I guess Boyd rates pretty high, eh?) Scott is right about the format, the journal received LOTS of criticism regarding its small format and poor readability. Seems like a case of damned if you do or damned if you don't. As for the contents; unfortunately we're not going to be able to include a newly discovered, unpublished story with every issue. I think you'll find the quality of the contents pretty high if you simply read it through with an open mind.
-Ron

Posted by: Tantalus (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2006 12:16PM
Scott Connors Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I'd have to say that an unpublished 100+ line poem by
> CAS, an unpublished memoir of Smith, and the
> symposium would make this worthwhile.

I thoroughly enjoyed all of those! What's not to like? :) I especially enjoyed the Lyman memoir.

The new format is a welcome improvement. It's worth the extra $8.00. And I'm sure you're not getting rich off of it.

Keep up the good work. Regardless of the occasional complaint your work is very much appreciated. I look forward to the next issue.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page