Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Zothique Nights
Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 1 December, 2006 04:52PM
Does anyone still have access to Zothique Nights? I'd like to research the files and archives so I re-applied for membership, only to receive the following reply from the owner/moderator.

Thanks for your interest in Zothique Nights. Unfortunately, even though I am owner and moderator, I cannot gain access to the group to approve anyone! Basically, Yahoo deleted my account about a year ago, without explanation. Attempts to find out from them what the problem was proved futile. I have a new Yahoo account now, but of course I cannot access Zothique Nights without my own permission! It's a ridiculous situation.

I'd have liked to email the members to tell them what was going on, but again I can't get to the members page to retrieve anyone's email address.

It has to be said that even before this happened, the group was starting to look a bit limp. It's a shame, but all the good discussion seemed to be moving to The Eldritch Dark. I'm as much to blame as anyone, but at least there is still an active forum out there for CAS fans.

I know there are still a few people still posting, but only two or three posts per month for the last year or so. Even if no one can help, I thought you all might be amused by this ironic situation. In many ways Zothique Nights was the predecessor to this forum, and apparently the birth of this Eldritch Forum was also the demise of the once mighty Zothique Nights!

Thanks, Ron

Re: Zothique Nights
Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 1 December, 2006 05:23PM
I have sent Jon some email, hopefully we can work out how to get him back in to yahoo so he can let you in. Give it a few days, if we fail you can borrow my log-in.

Posted by: gavinicuss (IP Logged)
Date: 25 December, 2006 06:51PM
Wow, that's weird! I remember Jon a little bit, he was the owner guy we never heard from until there was some problem or other, then he would fix it and vanish again. This last month (December 06), we have had a great spurt of activity due to someone offering the irritating observation that ZN had become a "moribund" group. Well shoots, I looked that up and found that it meant dead, so I promptly decided to stir the pot. I roused some several REHoward fans into making themselves heard, and now it has quieted down again. These groups can be fun, but they can also take up a lot of time and energy. I ought to read Eldritch Forum more often than I do, but I tend to forget about it. But that was before. I doesn't matter what happened before, only what happens after (now).

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 27 December, 2006 03:34PM
Strange but true; my request to re-join timed out after a month or so and was rejected. Scott was able to access the site and retrieve the photos from the Gaylord mine that I was looking for so all's well. I guess it would be fun to review the archives and reminisce over the glory days of ZN; the pros and cons of pastiche, the boulder and plaque project, and of course the great Dembo debate. Sniff sniff, yup, those were the days . . . and good riddance!

Posted by: Sevagram (IP Logged)
Date: 28 December, 2006 11:13AM
Hi Guys

Just to let you know that the problem with Yahoo appears to be sorted. It looks like someone finally took notice of my emails. At least, I have been allowed in under my new username and can approve requests to join. Sincere apologies to anyone who has tried to join/re-join over the last 12 months. In all honesty, I should have sorted this out earlier, but the group was indeed looking "moribund" and I'm afraid my attention was elsewhere. Nevertheless, many thanks to those who have injected a little life back into the poor old thing. It will be interesting to see how things go.

Best wishes

Jon

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 29 December, 2006 09:23AM
gavinicuss:

Quote:
we have had a great spurt of activity due to someone offering the irritating observation that ZN had become a "moribund" group.

*Chuckles* That would be me. It may have been an "irritating" observation, but it was and is a true one. I don't know what dictionary you used, but according to the OED, this is what the word moribund means:

"That is at the point of death; in a dying state, close to death; that is in a terminal decline; displaying such a lack of vigour or vitality that recovery appears impossible".

I'd like to be proven wrong, but the Yahoo eGroup, to me, certainly displays such qualities, and it has for some time. Now that the moderator can once again access the group and approve new member requests, perhaps that will change. I certainly hope so. At any rate, semantics aside, Zothique Nights is certainly a far less lively place of late than this forum has been, although, for reasons explained some time ago, I seldom visit or post here anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29 Dec 06 | 09:28AM by Kyberean.

Posted by: deuce (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2007 10:53AM
As I just posted elsewhere, Ron, I had exactly the same experience over at innercircle. Yahoo pulled the whole "Why don't you call me?!? We used to be so good together! Bastard!" thing on me since I never checked my Yahoo-address (which I never gave out) emails. In punishment for not viewing their pop-up ads, etc... they denied my password (I know it was valid), made me download Yahoo Messenger(tm) and then wouldn't allow me back on innercircle. They're still ignoring my emails. Talk about "hell hath no fury..."!

Posted by: h3athrow (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2009 03:05PM
Is this Zothique Nights list still active? Curious...

Heath

Posted by: Chipougne (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2009 01:42AM
No, it's been erased, along with all the archives. Has anyone made a backup? Jon?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page