Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
cds of smith
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 22 December, 2006 12:26PM
My DOF Don Fryer will be arriving on the 4th by train in San Antonio - any of you Texans who would like to meet, let me know.
We will be recording CD's of Clark's love poetry, some dialogues, maybe some Nora Mae French, and other selections if time allows.
He returns to LA on the 12th I believe. We will be including my favorite, "Not altogether sleep" and Ron's favorite "The Dark Eidolon" - If there are requests, let us know -
For your information - In my youth, along with theatrical performances, including the New York City Opera, I was priveleged to win collegiate and national awards in Oral Interpretation, and have taught voice, speech, and drama for years, directed numerous plays and musicals, including playing much of the main Shakespearian roles. I introduced Don to Spenser in 1960 and he has made his living reading CAS and Edmund Spenser for all these yease, often accompanying himself on the bass lute. He also was in attendance and performed at the dedication of the boulder in Auburn. We have actually been friends for over 40 years now, but this is our first collaboration. Derrick Hussey of Hippocampus Press may also join us, though I have no confirmation of that; it is possible that the CDs may be issued through Hippocampus.
We hope you will obtain and enjoy this effort by the last old lions. Those of you who became acquainted with Clark first through his tales, but have not yet found your way into the poetry deeply enough to really appreciate it, may find that these recordings will help open that door for you.
Much affection of the season to you all.
Dr. Farmer

Re: cds of smith
Posted by: AMonsen (IP Logged)
Date: 22 December, 2006 09:44PM
I reside in San Antonio and would like to meet if time affords the opportunity.

A. Monsen

Date: 23 December, 2006 08:58AM
Amonson -- please fax your contact info (phone, email, etc.) to 361-882-5235, I can then call you - If you wish to meet the train, I could meet with you in advance for a bite of supper around 9pm, or if you prefer to drive to Corpus Christi, you would be welcome to come down some time during the 7 days he will be here - It will be a pleasure to get to know you, and I'm sure Don will be delighted as well.
Dr. Farmer

Posted by: maeterlinck (IP Logged)
Date: 23 December, 2006 04:13PM
That is good news. I hope they are loud and clear recordings. I have seen DSF perform at Sam Johnsons in Los Angeles and he is wonderful. It's nice you guys put this stuff together so newbies, like me can hear how Clark Ashton should be read.

Erik

Date: 1 January, 2007 05:27PM
A. Monsen:

Due to my present illness (sore throat, weakness etc.) Don and I have postponed until about the same time in Feb. The offer to join us still stands, but do let me know how to coordinate with you.
Dr. F

Re the recordings: I have a very hight quality computer, a Tascam Gigastudio, and a Condenser mike with the necessary conversion equipment for phantom audio - should be an excellend CD - we'll see.

Date: 5 January, 2007 09:50PM
Dr. F,

I tried to fax over my info, but not sure if it made it over. You can contact me at amonsen AT gmail DOT com.

regards,
A. Monsen

Date: 7 January, 2007 09:16AM
Did not receive fax, will email shorly -
Don will arrive on the 7th or 8th and depart on the 15th

drf

Date: 9 January, 2007 11:35AM
Is that still January, or Feb?

An alternate email of gmail's spam filter catches your email before I get to it is andersm AT mac DOT com, substituting the AT and DOT for the normal characters.

Regards,
AMonsen

Date: 9 January, 2007 11:56AM
do you mean to write AT and dot? why are you cutting out normal email?
better try the fax again - it works just fine 361-882-5235 -

Just got a long involved letter from Don changing our dates to mid march

Date: 9 January, 2007 10:36PM
Sorry, I've become wary of spam bots picking up regular email addresses, even posted in forums. Putting AT and DOT helps hide the email from such nefarious means, as people have to translate those characters.

Date: 26 January, 2007 04:24PM
Don is now arriving on Mar. 13th at 5 in the afternoon in Corpus Christi by southwest airline - a daring leap of faith for him. so Tues on will be the time to come down and meet he and I.
Dr. F

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 7 February, 2007 08:19PM
calonlan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We hope you will obtain and enjoy this effort by
> the last old lions.

You may be old lions, but you have here a pride of younger kittens ready to roar in turn for CAS.

I hope that I can be counted as one of them.

Phillip

*Author of Strange Gardens [www.lulu.com]

*Editor of Calenture: a Journal of Studies in Speculative Verse [calenture.fcpages.com]

*Visit my homepage: [voleboy.freewebpages.org]

Date: 8 February, 2007 05:57PM
yes indeed Phillip, remembering how strong are bodies and sharp the teeth and claws of Lion Cubs - Clark's work had teeth (and fangs) and nothing less is expected from those who have seen him through the Urim and Thummim real poets and lovers of poetry carry with them.
Kind affections to you

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page