Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Worm Ourboros
Posted by: Francis D'Eramo (IP Logged)
Date: 23 December, 2002 06:07PM
Anyone read The Worm Ourboros? I'm just about to start it.

Re: The Worm Ourboros
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 24 December, 2002 02:26PM
Don Herron and I, and I think a couple of others, read Eddison's masterpiece this time last year and discussed it a lot on ZN. It certainly was a treat, and Eddison's skill with language is second only to that of CAS. WORM is a much more successful experiment in deliberate archaism than, say, THE NIGHT LAND. Have a joyous Yule festival! Scott

Posted by: Phillip A. Ellis (IP Logged)
Date: 31 December, 2002 09:31PM
One item of note is Eddison's use of poetry in his work. This is a feature that Tom Shippey has remarked occurs in very few works of postmodern heroic fantasy, tho speaking in reference to Tolkien at the time. Personally, I find it one feature of his work that is sorely lacking from many others, and which is also very reminiscent of something like
The book of Dede Korkut.

On a side-note, where's the "Ooooooh matron!" emoticon?

Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: 15 June, 2003 05:52AM
Hi,

Ouroboros is really a one-of-a-kind masterpiece. Enjoy! - you will certainly want to treat yourself also to Eddison's Zimiamvian Trilogy (A Fish Dinner in Memison, Mistress of Mistresses, The Menzentian Gate).

Eddison's style is unique, but in a way can be compared with Lord Dunsany's. If you don't know Dunsany, try the Millenium/Gollancz 'value for money' edition of "Time And The Gods", which reprints some of his greatest work.

Best

Holger

Posted by: Jim Rockhill (IP Logged)
Date: 21 June, 2003 09:08PM
THE WORM OUROBOROS is one of my favorite fantasy novels. You might find the opening a little awkward, but once the narrator has reached Mercury and been forgotten, the book leaps into life. As others have stated, the language is grand and sonorous, but never stilted: it is the natural mode of expression for these larger-than-life characters. The novel is also full of intrigue and exciting tableaux. Imagine a fantasy novel written by the best of the Elizabethan/Jacobean dramatists and you might have some idea of how rich this work is.

Jim

Posted by: Phillip A. Ellis (IP Logged)
Date: 10 December, 2003 07:33PM
I've picked up both MISTRESS OF MISTRESSES, and A FISH DINNER IN MEMNIZON (please forgive if the spelling's wrong), and was wondering if anyone's read further than just OUROBOROS, and what they think of the sequence in part or in whole?

Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: 15 December, 2003 12:14PM
Hi Phillip,

for whatever reason, the Zimiamvian Trilogy has not been reprinted for quite some time now. Gollancz put out Mistress of Mistresses in 2001, however the last reprint for the complete Trilogy was (as far as I know) in 1992, when Del Rey issued ZIMIAMVIA - A TRILOGY as a paperback (including some then but recently discovered fragments of the unfinished THE MEZENTIAN GATE, printed there for the first time, along with 100+ pages of informative notes by Eddison scholar Paul Edmund Thomas). Needless to say, that edition is already out of print again. Albeit, you can find second hand copies @ about US $ 35.00+ going up. Not too bad for a darn paperback I guess...

Personally, I'd even prefer ZIMIAMVIAN to OUROBOROS. It is a unique epic (actually each book of the trilogy is a complete epic in itself). The stuff to stand the test of time. They don't make 'em like this anymore :ยด-(

You may also want to check out the norse epic "Styrbiorn The Strong" by Eddison (there are still copies available of the beautiful 1978 HC reprint by Arno Press. I think the remainder of the Arno Press catalogue is now distributed by Ayer Publ.)

Greetings from Germany

Holger

PS:

I'D SURE LOVE TO SEE A DECENT BIBLIOPHILE HARDCOVER EDITION OF THE ZIMIAMVIAN TRILOGY !!! (@ publishers near and far ... hint, hint, plead, beg!!)

You cannot imagine how really hard it is to get this stuff over here. :-/

Posted by: gclowney (IP Logged)
Date: 31 December, 2003 06:49PM
Personally, I *love* The Worm Ouroboros; I love the sweeping scale and the majestic scenes, the heroic deeds beyond the deeds of normal men, and the villains writhing in their own treachery. I believe Lin Carter in his book Imaginary Worlds called it the best fantasy novel of all time. (Personally, my choice would the The King of Elfland's Daughter). I know that some people find it boring, so I know it's not for everyone's tastes, but I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Greg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page