Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Collected Fantasies Vol. 1 in my hands!
Posted by: Tantalus (IP Logged)
Date: 27 January, 2007 04:28PM
My hands were actually shaking when I opened the box.

The first thing I did was put the book jacket in an archival book jacket cover. (Scott, you might laugh at this after receiving the things I sent you before.)

There are 2 things that, to me, make a good book.

The first, and most important of course, is the content. The stories we all know. But finally having CAS's stories corrected as per the surviving manuscripts, and in chronological order, and in book form, is exciting. And this is just volume 1.

I will read the "Appendix One: Story Notes" with great interest. The notes really add to the collection. I'm glad they were included!

The second thing that, to me, makes a good book is it's actual physical construction. I'm happy to see it was done well! It feels like a sturdy book. The font is a good reading size for those of us getting older. The paper is a nice, easy to read off of, cream color. (As opposed to blinding bright white.)

Scott, just a couple questions -

I understand why "Appendix One: Story Notes" and "Appendix Two: 'The Satyr: Alternate Conclusion" are there. But why is From the Crypts of Memory put under "Appendix Three"?

Can you tell me if the front and back pictures on the book jacket are from any specific stories?

With great gratitude and appreciation to Scott, Ron and Night Shade Books!

One last note: The book was packed carefully and safely for shipping. Not only was the book wrapped in bubble wrap, it was then wrapped with more packing paper and put into a box much larger than the book. Even if the box was punctured the damage would not reach the book. After having many books over the years arrive on my door step damaged I thank you!

Re: Collected Fantasies Vol. 1 in my hands!
Posted by: garymorris (IP Logged)
Date: 27 January, 2007 06:12PM
This sounds wonderful! I'm on pins and needles waiting. I wonder when the Amazon shipments will happen? Anybody know?

I just (finally) got around to buying Freedom of Fantastic Things from my local (vast) indie bookstore, Powell's in Portland, Oregon. Looks incredible.

Thanks, Scott, for your fantastic work on all things CAS!

Gary Morris

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2007 06:50AM
Tantalus, what's your real name? I can't identify you offhand.
Regarding why "From the Crypts of Memory" is included: read the story note for "The Planet of the Dead." This story is largely an expansion of the earlier prose poem, and I thought that the reader might care to have the prose poem at hand. It is with the same logic that we will be including "The Flower Devil" with "The Demon of the Flower," and "The Muse of Hyperborea" with "The White Sybil of Polarion."
The dust jacket is more conceptional than illustrative of any particular Smith story. You will of course note that the sorcerer who invokes the demon resembles the young Ashton Smith, and that the demon and the surrounding statuary are based upon drawings and carvings of Smith's, some of which may be found on this very website.
BTW, I still haven't received my copies yet, so you're ahead of me at the moment!
Guys, thank you for your kind words about my efforts on things Klarkashtonian.
Best,
Scott

Date: 28 January, 2007 10:12AM
Scott Connors Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tantalus, what's your real name? I can't identify
> you offhand.

Rodger. I gave you CAS's copy of Shadows of Wings, the Mrs. CAS letter and DSF's list of corrections for Collected Poems.

What I was alluding to was that I sent you everything obsessively stored in archival folders.

> Regarding why "From the Crypts of Memory" is
> included: read the story note for "The Planet of
> the Dead."

Ahh, OK. That was a nice touch to include it.

> The dust jacket is more conceptional than
> illustrative of any particular Smith story. You
> will of course note that the sorcerer who invokes
> the demon resembles the young Ashton Smith,

Doh!

>BTW, I still haven't received my copies yet,
> so you're ahead of me at the moment!

I'm in San Jose which is why I got mine so soon. I bet yours is there Monday.

Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2007 11:51AM
Where did you order your copy from?

Date: 28 January, 2007 11:57AM
Roger,
I ordered the set directly from Night Shade when the books were first announced.
Rodger

Date: 28 January, 2007 12:01PM
It was shipped from San Francisco.

Date: 28 January, 2007 12:13PM
>> The dust jacket is more conceptional than
>> illustrative of any particular Smith story. You
>> will of course note that the sorcerer who invokes
>> the demon resembles the young Ashton Smith

> Doh!

Scott,
On re-reading my post - When I said "Doh!" I meant a Homer Simpson Doh!, not a sarcastic Duh!

There's an important difference. :)

Date: 28 January, 2007 11:55PM
Rodger, of course! I should have picked up the allusion, but my brain is sort of fried, trying to get volume two ready to hand in by next Monday. I am still awed by your generosity. BTW, since then I have picked up two original CAS story mss: the first typed draft of "The Secret of the Cairn," or at least ten pages of it, with tons of handwritten revisions, plus a signed carbon of "The Last Incantation."
Best,
Scott

Posted by: walrus (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2007 01:06PM
Scott Connors Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> plus a signed carbon of "The Last
> Incantation."
> Best,
> Scott

Gee whiz, that sounds like way cool!

Juha-Matti

Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 28 April, 2007 08:34PM
Well it took me long enough, but I finally have a copy of the book :) It looks great and I'm eager to crack it open.

I got my copy from Amazon, by the way, somewhere around $26 withh free shipping.

Date: 9 June, 2007 06:15AM
Good news for overseas subscribers: the USPS no longer offers surface mail, so your copies of volume two will be sent out via air mail.

Best,
Scott

Posted by: Mikey_C (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2007 12:53PM
No sign of mine in the UK yet. Am I alone?

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 18 July, 2007 04:00AM
Night Shade Books note on their website that Vol. 1 is out of print (that was fast!), but that it will be reprinted in September.

Will Vol. 2 be reprinted (I know that its print run was larger than that of Vol. 1)? If so, when is the deadline for spotting typos?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page