Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Who is Sandor Szabo?
Posted by: Tantalus (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2007 11:43AM
Many of the writings in the style of CAS just come out badly. There's been many times I've cringed when reading them. Nothing against those writers, that style is just hard to pull off without reading forced and awkward. I certainly couldn't do it.

But I thought that the 2 stories by Sandor Szabo were exceptionally good. I really enjoyed them. He was able to incorporate the archaic, exotic and unconventional words and still have the stories flow.

Along Came a Spider

Slave Wind

I Googled him half hoping that he might have had a book published by, at least, a small press. But I couldn't find anything. It looks like the stories were put on the Eldritch Dark in 1998. Maybe he's still a forum member? Does anyone know who he is?

I would like to find more of his writings. I would appreciate any direction.

Re: Who is Sandor Szabo?
Posted by: metsat00 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 January, 2007 06:25PM
Aloha Tantalus,
Many thanks for the kind words about my prose poem and short story. Wish I could take credit for having created them intellectually but they just grew inside me, struggling to get out, two among many cathartic devices that helped channel the pent up desire, anger, loathing, frustration and hope of my dissolving marriage into something nondestructive. Upon my release by an amicable divorce six years ago, that darkness and pain evaporated. Without that bottomless well of dark emotion twisting inside, the urge to transform passion into weird CAS-style literature ebbed. The quality of the few original works I've scrawled since aren't fit to be posted on a site like The Eldritch Dark. Much of my on-line writing is devoted to a Stephen R Donaldson tribute site at [theland.antgear.com] ... in which I give mad props to CAS and a few other old-timey stellar fantasy authors.

Clark Ashton Smith's literary works outshine mine, embarrassingly so. Perhaps the best thing I managed was to write my pieces, then go back and replace half of the arcane words with normal ones to keep from overdoing it. Probably still went overboard, but I'm glad you liked the results.

The argument could be made, and I would regrettably adhere to it, that the world will never again be graced by a fantasy author of Clark Ashton Smith's caliber. There is something antithetical about top-drawer weird writing and today's modern society equipped as it is with instant gratification, word processing machines, and profit-driven demands for bloated trilogies, tetralogies or Dragonlance-style neverending-logies. My two lowly works were written during anguished nights, my teeth grinding in a turmoil of emotions with a pencil shaking to get the burning words out of my body and onto the paper. Every fantasy piece of the past fifteen years reads -- in my opinion -- as if someone sat down during business hours in front of a computer (probably a Windows PC) and said "I'm going to write a highly lucrative series of novels about ... hmm ... well shit, how hard could it be to churn out some Tolkien-style boilerplate?" Characters seem derived from Central Casting and the works are heavily edited with the sole purpose of extending the series as long as possible to milk every last dime. These days we know everything, we see everything instantly, we have access to everything all the time and there are no more dark, secretive places of wonder and mystery. And thus genuinely weird fantasies elude us.

Clark Ashton Smith wrote because he was gripped internally with turbulent, disturbing, evocative visions that poured from his pencil to paper in great ecstasies of fear and dread and delight. If I remember rightly, he grew up in boring rural settings and taught himself to read with the aid of a voluminous dictionary. He had no TV or Internet to occupy his mind thus his subconscious conjured up eldritch fantasies. Robert E Howard flourished under similar circumstances. Smith had contemporaries in the field to inspire him and correspond with to enrich his creative juices, and editors willing to publish small circulations of something they genuinely enjoyed without trying to strong-arm him to alter it for a mass audience. Will another young boy or girl with CAS' mental abilities be born into similar circumstances? I hope so, but after repeated disappointments my faith begins to wane. Barry Hughart was the last author I read who came up with a genuinely fresh fantasy idea and executed it well.

Sorry to end on that note (about a B flat). Best of luck to you in your search for Smith-caliber literary works. Mahalo,

Sandor

p.s. By coincidence your handle happens to also be the name of a twisty-turny mountain road on O'ahu. Several years ago I went trailrunning on it with a bunch of lunatics ... had a wonderful time! ;-)

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2007 12:03AM
Great to see you again, Sandor.

I won't go on about my works, and their lack of resemblence to CAS's--he's too good for me to imitate him, and I have my own voice after all. I prefer to think of my work as homages rather than pastiches.

*Author of Strange Gardens [www.lulu.com]

*Editor of Calenture: a Journal of Studies in Speculative Verse [calenture.fcpages.com]

*Visit my homepage: [voleboy.freewebpages.org]

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 3 February, 2007 01:17PM
Several of us I'm sure would like read your pieces, are they posted - that is, the Smith emulations - couple of minor points, more accurate biographical info is available on this site -- There was nothing at all boring about Clark's boyhood environment -- from the girl's outhouse with a missing knothole in his one-room gradeschool (where readin', 'ritin' and 'ritmatic were still taught to the tune of a hick'ry stick), to the immense abyss of sky and canyon he perched on the edge of nightly in the deep of the nearly absolute dark, surrounded by twisted oak and gnarled manzanita, and conversed with derelicts of the gold-rush.

Date: 11 February, 2007 07:34PM
Calonlan,
My works aren't posted anywhere at this time, just scribbled down on bits of paper. Mostly plot outlines for short stories set in fantastic landscapes. In the next couple of months I'll dig through and see if there's anything else potentially worth contributing to this site's tributes section. However, tomorrow I have to take off on a short temporary duty mission for my Uncle Sammy. Mahalo,

Sandor

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2007 07:51AM
metsat00 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Calonlan,
> My works aren't posted anywhere at this time, just
> scribbled down on bits of paper. Mostly plot
> outlines for short stories set in fantastic
> landscapes. In the next couple of months I'll dig
> through and see if there's anything else
> potentially worth contributing to this site's
> tributes section. However, tomorrow I have to
> take off on a short temporary duty mission for my
> Uncle Sammy. Mahalo,
>
> Sandor

I thank you for your service: please read "Naming of Parts" by Henry Reid - I think you will enjoy in your situation -- we shall invoke the pantheon on your behalf -- among that deck of cards there may be one who has your safety and welfare under observation

Date: 20 November, 2011 01:20PM
Aloha,
Just a quick update to let you know i've submitted a short CAS tribute poem-- rhyming this time -- to Boyd Pearson for review and possible addition to the site. Hope it's worthy of inclusion at this site.

Sandor Szabo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page