Posted by: Gavin Callaghan (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2007 06:00PM
picture of Park barnitz, author of The Book of Jade:

[beinecke.library.yale.edu]

lost poem by Barnitz, banned from the book due to its gruesomeness:

Barnitz's father:

[wheeling.weirton.lib.wv.us]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30 May 07 | 06:08PM by Gavin Callaghan.

Re: Photo of Park Barnitz/Book of Jade
Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2007 07:34PM
I'm in love! some one reprint it immediately or I will!

Danse Macabre

I saw a line of corpses old,
Dead with diseases manifold,
Solemnly dancing'neath the moon.

Their perish'd limbs moved to the tune
Of some worm-orchestra unheard--
A sight enormously absurd.

First in the valse, with fishy eye
Tripped something dead of leprosy,
All silvery like a virgin's breast.

A buried glutton danced with zest,
All greenish and all dropsical,
Like a deform'd and vital ball.

The third was very beautiful,
Of charming small-pox sorelets full;
A small-pox ending, corpse, was thine.

There danced one in that naked line
Whose corpse was rotten with much love;
I wish the white worms joy thereof.

A suicidal corpse came next,
Who wish'd to illustrate the text:
--better to be chewed than to chew;

So he became a worm-ragout
And cholera-corpses weirdly black
Carrying their dead flesh like a sack,

Vals'd graceful beneath the sun.
Blue fever, and Consumption,
And hollow-pated lunacy.

Bowed, in that dance with courtesy
Cover'd with sores from foot to head,
Like flowers in a flower-bed,

Strange plagues all beautifully green
Went pirouetting through the scene;
And shrunken corpses dead of Age.--

These things went dancing o'er the stage.
Smelling of graves and worm-tooth scars,--
Death's musty-meated avatars."

Posted by: NightHalo (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2007 12:19AM
How is your Dictionary of the Damned going Gavin? Is it going to be published anytime soon or is it published already?

Posted by: Tobias Herschel (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2007 01:46PM
Boyd,

currently I offer a copy of this book at ebay; it is even signed by Thonmas Ligotti.

Date: 31 May, 2007 02:51PM
Much to rich for my blood, but best of luck, i would love a photocopy so as to scan it and put it on line (hint hint) :-)

Should really be brought back in print by the likes of Hippocampus Press in their "Lovecraft's Library Series"

P.S want a "REALMS OF FANTASY BOOKS" website?

Posted by: Tobias Herschel (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2007 04:35PM
Sure,

the book has about 174 pages, if I scan it around 85. Please send me your email so I can send you the attachements.

Posted by: Gavin Callaghan (IP Logged)
Date: 4 June, 2007 05:51PM
NightHalo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How is your Dictionary of the Damned going Gavin?
> Is it going to be published anytime soon or is it
> published already?

Embarassingly incomplete. Someone (I think Boyd Pearson) suggested I post the entries as a website, but I'm thinking now that I'll take a page out of "Venger Satanis's" notebook and do it as a print-on-demand book whenever it is completed. That way, if it sells a lot of copies, then maybe a legitimate publisher will take an interest in it. If it doesn't sell, then it will die a deserved death.

Date: 4 June, 2007 06:19PM
Gavin Callaghan Wrote:

> Embarassingly incomplete. Someone (I think Boyd
> Pearson) suggested I post the entries as a
> website, but I'm thinking now that I'll take a
> page out of "Venger Satanis's" notebook and do it
> as a print-on-demand book whenever it is
> completed.

They are not mutually exclusive ideas, give a taster on a website, and sell it from the site. Site can be used to build 'ccommunity' interest around the book

Date: 4 June, 2007 07:17PM
I think Boyd has a good idea. It would be a nice taster for those unfamiliar with ED.

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 5 June, 2007 11:13PM
I agree with NightHalo. Adding a blog as well would be a good idea, as it could generate further interest in the book.

Date: 6 August, 2007 12:02AM
Gavin,

I was re-reading your article on Barnitz and I just had a quick question. Are you sure that an A.M. degree in Barnitz's time was equivalent to a Ph.D? The only reason why I ask is because nowadays an A.M. is a Masters degree.

Still looking forward to your Dictionary. :)

~A

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 8 August, 2007 08:10PM
May not be responding properly here not having read the article, however at Oxford and Cambridge (at least in my day) a Master's degree was considered equivalent to a PhD and required only the addition of a few lbs sterling to have it certified as such. I well recall a beloved prof., Dr. Tom Barnes, prof. of Eng. Hist. at the UC Berkeley shelling out for his additional degree in order to march in the academic procession looking like a giang Purina Chow sign - (he was really big, the gown is red and white checkerboard design)

Date: 8 August, 2007 09:48PM
Thanks for replying about the degrees at Oxford and Cambridge. It makes sense to me that the A.M. back then would have been a Ph.D; I just wasn't one hundred percent sure about it. I am currently earning my A.M., so that is why I am curious. I also never recalled seeing mention of his thesis (although maybe I missed it in my midnight persusals of the biographies), and I think reading something by the likes of Barnitz on his scholarly interests would be a pleasant, if not interesting, task.

As for the gowns, they are still quite ostentatious. Although I think Berkeley's gown now is mainly black with sleeves and a hood of gold and blue. However much I find them silly, I did see one professor who looked quite beautiful and striking in his because his accent colors were the colors of flames (maybe Chicago or Harvard...).

But as Barnitz might reply, this beauty is but a living corpse and, Gold garments from its rotted shoulders fall.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 9 August, 2007 08:39AM
Oxford is the purina sign, Syracuse' gown is based on the garments found in Renaissance paintings - ala Botticellie portraiture - voluminous with a really silly floppy orange beret. The Theology degrees all must have scarlet somewhere in the hood, and, in traditional schools the Theology department always leads the academic procession as the oldest academic discipline - little useless tidbit -
Today, I have one beat up old black and blue robe with the three chevrons on the sleeve and just change hoods between PhD and ThD depending on the ceremony.
Years ago - 1960 - I had the chance to visit with Robert Frost before a baccalaureate service in Hendrick's chapel at Syracuse where I was reeeiving the Arent's library award (gold medal for best personal library designed by Ivan Mestrovic) and he was getting his umpteenth honorary doctorate - he told me he had had the hoods made into a quilt - cool guy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page