Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3
News...vol 3, LOST WORLDS etc.
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 26 July, 2007 06:46PM
Here's some news for y'all: Ron and I handed in the finished texts for A Vintage from Atlantis, volume three of Night Shade Book's "Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith" series. It is on track for release late this year. Introduction is by Michael Dirda, which is something of a coup IMHO. Big changes in the text of "The Seed from the Sepulcher," for reasons we discuss in the notes to that story. We're also including the prose poem "The Flower-Devil" as an appendix, since it was the source for "The Demon of the Flower." Jason van Hollander is doing the covers for the entire series.
The bonus booklet is still delayed because of artwork problems.
Lost Worlds issue 4 is at the printer right now. This issue is largely devoted to a variorum edition of "Necromancy in Naat," showing what CAS originally wrote, what he cut out, and what he changed. This takes up the bulk of the issue, but there's also an essay on the history of the story by Yr Obt Serv't; a memoir of the pioneering Smith scholars Charles K. Wolfe, who passed away a few years ago, by Don Herron; reviews by Donald Sidney-Fryer (of The Shadow of the Unattained) and John Alfred Taylor (of The Freedom of Fantastic Things). Cover is another fine color painting by CAS, and we're also reprinting Virgil Finlay's illustration for "Naat" from Weird Tales. There are also letters from Don Herron, Donald Sidney-Fryer, and Ron Hilger; I really want to start running a regular letter column, so please, guys, let me know what you think of the issues!
Issue 5 is almost finished as I write this. Part of the problem with our somewhat less than stellar attempts at maintaining something resembling a regular publication schedule (which doubtless contributes to the lack of letters referred to above) is the fact that the publisher is in New York and I'm in California. I was blocking out a rough amount of text and sending it to Seele-Brennt publisher Nick Curtis, who would lay it out and send me the proofs. Since I couldn't be sure just how well what I sent along would fill the 54 pages in each issue, there's be some back-and-forth while we tweaked things. This took up a lot of time, especially when you add in computer crashes, problems in personal lives, and other complications.
No more. I am now laying out each issue, sending PDFs to the writers to correct, and sending the corrected final files to Nick, ready-to-go. The only things we need for issue five are two brief pieces by me. Here's what we have on board so far: a charming and previously unpublished "cat" poem by CAS; essays on Smith's poems "Ode to the Abyss" and "Connaissance" by Carl Jay Buchanan and Phillip A. Ellis; excellent essays on botanic horror in CAS's work and on "The Seven Geases" by Philippe Gindre and Geoffrey Reiter; a memoir of CAS by Sam Sackett; and reviews by Jim Rockhill (of the Bison reprints of OST and LW) and Brian Stableford (of volume three of CAS' Collected Poetry and Translations).
On hand for future issues are: "Dawn of Discord," an unreprinted story rewritten by E. Hoffmann Price from a CAS story; Jean Marigny's long essay (published as a chapbook in France) "The Lost Worlds of Clark Ashton Smith;" essays by Donald Sidney-Fryer, John Haefele, Dwayne Olsen, Ron Hilger, Robert M. Price, Douglas A. Anderson, Morgan Holmes, S. T. Joshi, and Philippe Gindre (some of these are still in progress, but I'm nothing if not persistent). Plus still more CAS material: artwork, letters, photographs, etc. And a portfolio of Smith-inspired artwork by Tim Kirk. Plus Jason van Hollander is doing some art for future issues. We hope to use some more artwork as we cultivate relationships with artists capable of doing justice to Smith's work. Contact me if you think you fit the bill.
There is also a rather unusual new Smith book out called Shadows Seen and Unseen. It comes as a bit of a shock to Ron and me, not to mention Bill Dorman at the Estate, but it contains facsimiles of a number of Smith's poetry mss, some unpublished, as well as color plates of a number of paintings, one owned by the editor/publisher but the others taken (without credit) from this website. One of them, "Spring Clouds," is hanging on the wall beside me as I type this, and it is not a good reproduction. In addition, the editor used Photo-Shop to add a pink flamingo to the foreground. ... That's right, you read it correctly. Now sit down and take some deep breaths. Take a Valium if you have one. And think about how I feel, seeing my treasure defaced in such a crude manner. If CAS hadn't been cremated, we could have wrapped him in copper wire and magnetized his coffin, and he'd generate enough electricity to solve Norcal's power problems.
Anyway, there's a booksigning in Auburn this Saturday, and I'll try to get some more information on this.

Scott

Re: News...vol 3, LOST WORLDS etc.
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 26 July, 2007 07:12PM
Who is this daring and tasteless cretin who dares such effrontery?! A pink flamingo indeed - I think the RPM's you suggest are modest in the output estimate.
drf

Posted by: NightHalo (IP Logged)
Date: 27 July, 2007 12:44AM
Well, I propose a premature ban on Shadows Seen and Unseen until we know what is going on. Not crediting the owners of the manuscripts, the estate, nor the site is just rude (not to mention unscholarly).

Date: 27 July, 2007 05:45AM
He owns the manuscripts, but not the paintings, with one exception. One of the other paintings used, "Moonlight on Boulder Ridge," is taken from a digital photo Ron took of the original (we know the owner) and posted here, as well as used on the cover of LW 1.

Best,
Scott

Posted by: Ghoti23 (IP Logged)
Date: 27 July, 2007 01:56PM
Scott Connors wrote:

> In addition, the editor
> used Photo-Shop to add a pink flamingo to the
> foreground. ... That's right, you read it
> correctly. Now sit down and take some deep
> breaths. Take a Valium if you have one. And
> think about how I feel, seeing my treasure defaced
> in such a crude manner. If CAS hadn't been
> cremated, we could have wrapped him in copper wire
> and magnetized his coffin, and he'd generate
> enough electricity to solve Norcal's power
> problems.

That's cheered up a rather bad day! But you might be on to something there: there are plenty of extant cadavers some enterprising technologist could use to generate necro-electro. It would be the greenest fuel going -- literally so, if the cadavers were fresh.

Date: 27 July, 2007 04:37PM
Ghoti23 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Scott Connors wrote:
>
> > In addition, the editor
> > used Photo-Shop to add a pink flamingo to the
> > foreground. ... That's right, you read it
> > correctly. Now sit down and take some deep
> > breaths. Take a Valium if you have one. And
> > think about how I feel, seeing my treasure
> defaced
> > in such a crude manner. If CAS hadn't been
> > cremated, we could have wrapped him in copper
> wire
> > and magnetized his coffin, and he'd generate
> > enough electricity to solve Norcal's power
> > problems.
>
> That's cheered up a rather bad day! But you might
> be on to something there: there are plenty of
> extant cadavers some enterprising technologist
> could use to generate necro-electro. It would be
> the greenest fuel going -- literally so, if the
> cadavers were fresh.

They can't be too green: that gunk is rich in electrolytes, and it could cause a short circuit that might cause inadvertent reanimation and a craving for a nice brainy snack. Dessicated is the way to go--they should be drier than one of CAS' epigrams.

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 28 July, 2007 11:35AM
Frankly, I'm not certain which image is more disrespectful; the pink flamingo or the image of CAS wired up to some dynamo spinning away in his coffin. Scott, I think you're taking this too personally. I've spoken with Mr Johnson on several occasions now and can assure you he didn't do this to you on purpose. He had no idea you owned the painting nor of your involvement in the CAS scholarship. He had this book published because of his desire to share his manuscripts with others and also because he felt it was a shame that CAS was so neglected in his own hometown. Who could fault him for that? Mr Johnson has also told me that he will never recover the money it cost him to have the book published and that it was never his intention to profit from it in the first place. Seems to me that Mr Johnson is motivated by all the right reasons.

I also understand that he tried to contact Arkham House more than once but received no response from them, so he simply went ahead with his project. It is a well made book and a nice homage to CAS. I recommend anyone interested to have no second thoughts about purchasing Shadows Seen and Unseen.

-Ron

Posted by: walrus (IP Logged)
Date: 28 July, 2007 12:52PM
Can we have an explanation of the raison d'être of the flamingo, though? I'm kind of curious!

Juha-Matti

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 28 July, 2007 07:33PM
On the page opposite the painting (with the photo-shop flamingo) is located the poem "Flamingoes." I imagine this was intended to tie the two together.

Date: 28 July, 2007 10:29PM
I'm sorry if you found the spinning in his grave imagery disrespectful. I was using a bit of hyperbole, that's all. I'm not all that upset, and I certainly wasn't taking it personally. Really. I was just startled to see my painting included. I also found the insertion of the flamingo a bit puzzling, but after speaking with Ardath Winterowd, the artist who helped Mr. Johnson design the book, I can accept her explanation: she inscribed in my copy that they placed the painting, with inserted flamingos, on the page opposite Smith's poem "Flamingos." It's not something I would have done, but I can accept her explanation, and have no problem with him using the painting. After all, like I said to you earlier, I am under no delusions that I'm the Pope of Klarkash-Town (that would be my friend Wilum Pugmire. At least he has the hat, heeheehee....)
I had a nice time with Mr. Johnson today and concur with you that his love of CAS is the equal of anyone on this board, and, considering the amount of money he put into this project, maybe more than many. I think that the book is certainly worth having: there are a couple of previously unpublished (and unknown) poems therein, and a very nice painting from Mr. Johnson's collection, "The Spy." Also, there is a nice interview with Buddy Procissi, the best man at Clark and Carol's wedding.
Bottom line, folks, is that I recommend this book as a nice addition to the library of the Smith fan. It is certainly very reasonably priced, and I am sure that Mr. Johnson is selling them at roughly his cost. I can't argue with that! It certainly has a charm about it that cuts through my puzzlement any irregularities in its pedigree, real or perceived. Mr. Johnson is not a product of the sf fan community, and I think that it worth remembering: if nothing else, Shadows Seen and Unseen offers eloquent testimony of the regard in which Smith is held by the regular (ie, non-fan) people of Auburn today.
As soon as I can find out from where it may be ordered, either Ron or I will post it here.

Best wishes,
Scott

Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2007 12:37AM
I ordered a copy of the book as soon as I found out about it. Eccentricities and gaffes concerning permissions aside (both of which appear to be due to naivete), I was charmed by the idea of someone outside fandom and publishing who felt strongly enough about Smith to share his private cache of Smith's work in this way. Better this unselfish approach than that of the embittered former fan or rich collector who hoards material for decades (if not forever) while chattering to himself, "Mine, mine, ALL mine!"

Jim

Posted by: Tantalus (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2007 02:20AM
Where can one order this book? I've done book searches and a Google search with no luck. On the "In Print" page page it lists "HIH Art Studio" as the publisher. But Shadows Seen and Unseen is not listed on their site.

Can someone please post where to get a copy?

Thanks!

At first I was really turned off by the pink flamingo and vowed to never buy it. But as I read on it looks worth having.

Date: 29 July, 2007 03:00AM
Tantalus:

Not to make light of your frustration, but you certainly have a user name that invites it! :-)

Try this link: [www.bookfinder.com]

It's for a Roseville, CA book dealer named Ronald Ballou.

Scott

Posted by: NightHalo (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2007 03:39AM
Scott Connors Wrote:
> I'm sorry if you found ..... either Ron or I will post it here.
>
> Best wishes,
> Scott

Thanks for clearing that up Scott. I am relieved to hear that good news came of this investigation. It is so nice to hear, as it was pointed out above, that someone was willing to share their material. I repeal any caveats on the book I made in misunderstanding and look forward to seeing it on the market.

Posted by: Tantalus (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2007 04:29AM
Thanks Scott! I was able to order a copy from that site!

Scott Connors Wrote:
> Not to make light of your frustration, but you
> certainly have a user name that invites it! :-)

LOL, I often use that name on sites. Many episodes in my life resemble the punishment of King Tantalus. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29 Jul 07 | 05:01AM by Tantalus.

Goto Page: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page