Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Collected Fantasies Vol.3 - patience is a virtue...but so is good manners.
Posted by: Waterstone's Black-Clad Brat (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2007 06:46AM
Glad for the timely update from NightShade on the "Collected Fantasies Vol. 3", although the puerile belligerence therein was utterly needless.

True, NS may be understaffed, overworked and inundated with inquiries/complaints. But why are the complaints there in the first place? Anyone in a tertiary industry who scolds their customers for justly complaining (about errors that are, one way or another, THEIR OWN responsibility) is basically unfit for the job. A sincere apology & clear explanation (posted in the relevant places) is all that's required. Manners please, NS!

Anyway, let's hope Vol.3 arrives by Xmas. Peace all.

SJC

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 19 Nov 07 | 07:56AM by Waterstone's Black-Clad Brat.

Re: Collected Fantasies Vol.3 - patience is a virtue...but so is good manners.
Posted by: Radovarl (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2007 08:59AM
I just received an e-mail from Amazon saying that my new delivery date for vol. 3 has been pushed back to January 23rd. Whether this is accurate or not I can't obviously say, but 5 copies are already up for bids on eBay, so if the Amazon date is correct they will be getting whatever number of copies they've been allotted long after some other retailers/resellers do.

While I agree that NS's pronouncement was a bit unprofessional, and reflects an attitude toward their customers which is at best somewhat callous, at least they actually produce the books for which they take preorders. Could be (a lot) worse. For instance, I paid $150 for The Cthulhuian Singularity from Darkside Press well over a year ago (the book was supposed to come out in Fall '06) and still no book, no response to inquiries, etc. I finally found out through rumor that the book has been transferred to another (fledgling) small press publisher, who is waiting until they release their debut book to even bother having CS printed and fulfilled. I'll believe it when it arrives on my doorstep.

Posted by: Waterstone's Black-Clad Brat (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2007 09:50AM
My sympathies, Radovarl. As you say, the situation with NS could be immeasurably worse - tough break with the Darkside order! :( Hope that works out for you.

I've just become nauseated by book-vendors pontificating around as though they were librarians - happens all too often. Incompetence and unreliability are, as you say, worse than rough&ready efficiency. I was just griping on genteel principle :)

Regards,

SJC

Posted by: Radovarl (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2007 06:56PM
No sympathies necessary. "It is," as they say in my neck of the marsh, "what it is." Coming from a family of corporate-types (though I'm an alternative-lifestyle stay-at-home Dad type myself), I too find it somewhat puzzling that someone presumably acting in a business capacity would communicate in such a way, but at the same time I think I can understand the probably overwhelming pressures involved in running a small business, especially a small press with the personal and economic vicissitudes I'm sure that entails for the good folks at NS. It has gotta be stressful. I mean face it, I could name more small press SF/Fantasy/Horror publishers that are no longer around than those that are still in business (Dark Harvest, iBooks, etc. ad nauseam).

My take is that we should just be grateful that we have books from lesser-known authors like CAS available at all, and that they come in higher quality editions than we would get from... say TOR or Ace. Not to mention the fact that Scott takes the time to pop in here quite regularly, is very approachable and willing to answer questions, and is a veritable font of information. I'm not averse to a little grumbling (and the NS guys probably need to grow thicker skins), but when all is said and done we're at the threshold of a golden age of mini-presses as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure librarians have a right to pontificate either :).

Best,

David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19 Nov 07 | 06:57PM by Radovarl.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page