Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
I need suggestion for readking
Posted by: bluestar (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2008 02:56AM
hello everybody
i am new to this forum, though i am not new to forums. i know there might be similar topics in here, but the forum system in this website is a little outdated and i don't see any categories in here. so please forgive me if this questions are asked a lot of time.
i've recently read a story from ashton smith. it was the maze of maal dweb(i tried to translate it to persian and it was rather hard), and when i finished it, i felt like it enchanted me. it was awesome. and soon i began to search for other stories of ashton smith and i found this website. i searched for other resources about asthon smith and i read the wikipedia, but i still don't know which of these short stories are his best works.
i want to read them but i need guidance. where to start, which one to read first? which one are more important others and so on.
and if you know any website, discussing his works please introduce them to me.
Somayeh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19 Nov 08 | 02:56AM by bluestar.

Re: I need suggestion for readking
Posted by: David Kartas (IP Logged)
Date: 21 November, 2008 01:01PM
I think this site discusses most of his work.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 21 November, 2008 05:45PM
Each of us has our favorites - mine include - The Weaver in the Vault, The Charnal God, Genius Loci, The Double Shadow, The Black Abbott of Puthuum, The Monster of the Prophcy, Schizoid Creator, Mother of Toads, and many others - I list these because I have re-read them for pleasure more often that some others, but that is by no means a list in order of preference, nor an inference that any one of the above is superior or inferior to others - each has its own special place in my experience - many of us can remember where we were and what we were doing the first time we read any one of the tales - don't neglect the poetry -
Clark's genius with english is such that capturing its unique quality in another language is extremely difficult - Verdi wrote operas based on Shakespeare - but they are not Shakespeare and contain only an outline of the story, but none of what makes them "Shakespearian"

Posted by: Tantalus (IP Logged)
Date: 28 November, 2008 06:00PM
bluestar,

Here are some favorite stories of the forum members. But these are only stories that take place in the imaginary future continent of Zothique, the last inhabited continent of earth:

Favorite Zothique Stories

And as calonian said, don't forget his poetry. I especially like his prose poetry. If you want to feel enchanted try them.

CAS Prose Poetry

and of those, To the Daemon, is one of my favorites.

But to me, even his stories are like long beautiful prose poems.

As for my favorite stories, that is a very hard task. I would need some time to think about it. But the first story that comes to mind, is the first CAS story I ever read, and is one of my very favorites. And it is also about Maal Dweb.

The Flower-Women

Posted by: Tantalus (IP Logged)
Date: 28 November, 2008 07:21PM
bluestar,

After mentioning the Zothique stories, I thought that maybe you are not familiar with the various story cycles. Here are some pages that go through the various cycles and stories in them. His articles are detailed but I don't think he gives away any story endings.

Your friend Maal Dweb falls under the Xiccarph stories. Alas, there are only 2 stories.

The Fantasy Cycles of Clark Ashton Smith

PART I: The Averoigne Chronicles

PART II: The Book of Hyperborea

PART III: Tales of Zothique

PART IV: Poseidonis, Mars, and Xiccarph

But do not think that all of CAS's stories are mentioned in those links. They are not.

For example, another favorite story that is not listed in those links is:

The City of the Singing Flame

If you have any questions don't hesitate to post. The people on this forum are friendly and helpful.

Posted by: bluestar (IP Logged)
Date: 29 November, 2008 12:02AM
hello

thank everybody. and especially tantalus. the links are really good. i needed something like that because as you said, i am not familiar with the worlds and cycle of these stories. i read the door to saturn. the descriptions were awesome but i still think my favorit is the maze of maal dweb(well i am in the middle my 3th reading: the black about of puthum)

again thank everybody. let me read enough and then i will be in discussion.

p.s. i translate the maze of maal dweb to persian.i did cause i liked to do it. the result ofcourse is not as greate as ashton smith's writing. but it is not bad for start.:d(i've translated some short stories. but none of them as difficult as this one)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page