Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345AllNext
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Obscure Weirdness Hunt
Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2009 10:39AM
The Night Land contains absolutely fascinating and extraordinary visions, but it is too long, diffuse, ineptly written, and marred by obnoxious romance to qualify as Hodgson's best and most quintessential work, in my opinion.

The House on the Borderland, by contrast, is much better written, and its cosmic visions are much more powerful, to me. I well remember my first reading of the book years ago, while on a camping holiday on the Ile d'Yeu, and feeling as if in a daze for days after reading it. Rarely has a book made such a powerful impression on me. It left me, in Hemingway's words, "as empty, transformed, and melancholy as all high feelings do". Few literary works embody such cosmic sweep and vision, and offer such a salutary reminder of the littleness of humanity, of its thoughts, its aspirations, and its very lives within the cosmic scale.

As for others' preferences, CAS seems to have been more intrigued by The Night Land, but Lovecraft's remarks in Supernatural Horror in Literature indicate clearly to me that he thought The House on the Borderland to be the better book.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2009 12:41PM
Kyberean Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The House on the Borderland... I well remember my first
> reading of the book years ago, while on a camping
> holiday on the Ile d'Yeu, and feeling as if in a
> daze for days after reading it. Rarely has a book
> made such a powerful impression on me. It left me,
> in Hemingway's words, "as empty, transformed, and
> melancholy as all high feelings do".

Well, that is just wonderful. Just wonderful.
I think that how well one appreciates a work, and ability to understand and capture its subject and subtleties, depends to a large extent on the amount and range of pre-knowledge one has of things that relate to it. I was quite young when I read it, and may experience it completely different today.

> Lovecraft's
> remarks in Supernatural Horror in Literature
> indicate clearly to me that he thought The House
> on the Borderland to be the better book.

He did write "But for a few touches of commonplace sentimentality this book would be a classic of the first water." So he didn't think The House on the Borderland was quite a classic of the first water.

And he spent twice as much text for The Night Land. And wrote "... one of the most potent pieces of macabre imagination ever written... there is a sense of cosmic alienage, breathless mystery, and terrified expectancy unrivalled in the whole range of literature."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24 May 09 | 12:45PM by Knygatin.

Date: 31 May, 2009 12:18PM
Lovecraft was clearly fond of both books, but I think that he found Borderland to be a better work of finished art, for whatever that is worth. "Perhaps the greatest of all Mr. Hodgson's work" are the prefatory remarks to his discussion of Borderland.

By the way, I have always found the misleading, incomplete quotation of Lovecraft by publishers of Borderland to be simultaneously amusing and annoying. Publishers seldom fail to quote the "classic of the first water" part of Lovecraft's statement, but they always manage to omit the "but for a few touches of commonplace sentimentality" portion.

Date: 1 June, 2009 04:08AM
Kyberean Wrote:
> By the way, I have always found the misleading,
> incomplete quotation of Lovecraft by publishers of
> Borderland to be simultaneously amusing and
> annoying. Publishers seldom fail to quote the
> "classic of the first water" part of Lovecraft's
> statement, but they always manage to omit the "but
> for a few touches of commonplace sentimentality"
> portion.

That proves how one can construct a lie from quotations.

Date: 3 June, 2009 02:46AM
I have received the Night Shade Night Land, and after having read all raving reviews, I am somewhat disappointed with the book design. I had expected really heavy boards, with deep relief artwork, and a thick layer of silver. Like old silver coin from a pirates' hoard. This is more economic. The spine is still very good and sturdy. I couldn't ask for a better cover artist. Hollander's exquisite work sets the right tone. He is a fine continuation of the classic Weird era and Arkham House artists. The interior design is nice, except for a few typo errors I discovered in the editor's introduction. I guess that's the price of growing big and handling too many projects at the same time.
No silver comes off the book.

All in all, the book has a nice grisly aesthetic, very fitting for the subject.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 3 Jun 09 | 02:51AM by Knygatin.

Date: 3 June, 2009 11:56AM
When it comes to book cover artwork, I'd much rather see classic paintings, such as Penguin used for its Lovecraft volumes, or photography, such as Hippocampus used for the collected poetry of CAS, than awful, kitschy, amateurish "artwork" of the Utpatel or Hollander variety. De gustibus....

Date: 3 June, 2009 02:59PM
The classic paintings for the Penguin Lovecraft volumes have no relevant relation to the stories.
Hollander's artwork for the Hogson Night Shade volumes is a collage from all the stories. In style it looks like an ancient medieval map.

Simplified artwork leaves more to ones own imagination. When it is really good it triggers the imagination.

I appreciate realistic paintings too, if their style and execution of the subject matter correspond to my taste and don't veer off too much from my personal imagination of the story.
I like the photographic cover Potter did for A Rendezvous in Averoigne.

Date: 3 June, 2009 05:14PM
Even if there is no direct relationship to the stories, the classic artworks are evocative, and, I think, stimulate the imagination more than direct illustrations, by allowing one to create one's own associations. The same is true of photographs. "Simple" is fine, but Hollander and the Arkham House artists veer into the incompetent, for my taste.

Potter's cover for A Rendezvous in Averoigne is effective, but most of his other illustrations in that volume, I think, are awful. A friend of mine even went so far as to tear them out of the book!

At least the Hollander work for the Hodgson series, from what I have seen of it, is better than the covers for the CAS tales, although, in itself, that isn't saying much!

Date: 4 June, 2009 04:09AM
Kyberean Wrote:
> Even if there is no direct relationship to the
> stories, the classic artworks are evocative, and,
> I think, stimulate the imagination more than
> direct illustrations, by allowing one to create
> one's own associations.

That is a valid point. Even if I still think pictorial cover-art depicting a situation should be related to the contents of the book.
Purely decorative covers can be good too, like with plantlife patterns. In older days they often did that, and in those times the book was a piece of artwork in itself, rather than just "frame" for a painting.
The most important thing is to set an appropriate mood.

I recently decided to buy some books with Poe (having only borrowed at the library when needed). The Penguin (same series as Lovecraft) cover for The House of Usher is quite effective I think. Perhaps not exactly beautiful with the thin solitary figure, but the overwhelming empty blackness captures the abyssmal terror of his stories, and the colours are Poesque. (I think the illustration is from The Masque of the Red Death.)
http://www.amazon.com/Fall-House-Usher-Other-Writings/dp/0141439815/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1#

Excellent photographic cover for Narrative of Arthor Gordon Pym of Nantucket:
http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/images/big/Narrative-of-Arthur-Gordon-Py.jpg

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 4 Jun 09 | 06:21AM by Knygatin.

Date: 4 June, 2009 07:23AM
Quote:
The most important thing is to set an appropriate mood.

I most definitely agree! For instance, Dore's weird cosmic Grim Reaper on the cover of the third Lovecraft volume in the Penguin series sets the mood perfectly. The simple cover of the Lapis edition of Julien Gracq's Castle of Argol does so, as well.

Date: 4 June, 2009 08:23AM
Kyberean Wrote:
> The simple cover of the Lapis
> edition of Julien Gracq's Castle of Argol...

A very inviting cover.

Date: 6 June, 2009 04:18AM
I want to bind my own books for The House on the Borderland and The Ghost Pirates. And for a selection of hard to find Algernon Blackwood stories, to complement my collection. How is the quality of online texts generally? At [www.gutenberg.org] and [manybooks.net] for example? Misspellings and typograhical errors common? Or are the texts meticulous?

Date: 6 June, 2009 08:35AM
I cannot speak for the quality of the particular sites that you mention, although I do read texts on occason at Project Gutenberg. In general, though, I do not trust the quality of most online texts, myself. They are fine for reading online, but I would not invest money in printing and binding them--at least, not unless they appear to be properly scanned and in PDF format. I would avoid any HTML texts, if I were you.

Date: 8 June, 2009 06:50PM
Knygatin Wrote:
> Excellent photographic cover for Narrative of
> Arthor Gordon Pym of Nantucket:
> [www.booksshouldbefree.com]
> ive-of-Arthur-Gordon-Py.jpg

Looked like a photograph in the picture. Having the book in my hands, it is actually a painting.

It is quite confusing how the internet and computor graphics can trick your mind, manipulating colors (and forms) in images, to look completely different from the actual thing.

Posted by: Gavin Callaghan (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2009 05:40PM
Speaking of binding books, my copy of Smith's Classical Dictionary (1888) [nothing to do with Clark Ashton SMITH] is falling apart; I need to have it rebound.

I recently read through some books (Yeats's Golden Dawn, On the Nightmare, and Man Into Wolf) which had some fascinating lists of rare books in them. Yeats's Golden Dawn had a list of the contents of the Order of the Golden Dawn's hermetic library as of 1897. A lot of people like to make fun of the Golden Dawn, and William Butler Yeats' involvement with it, but the list there shows them to have been a very erudite organization. If I owned just 1/12th of the books in this list, I'd consider myself a very fancy boy, indeed.

On the Nightmare, by Freudian psychoanylist [sp?] Ernest Jones, is a seminal, essential work, absolutely necessary for understanding dreams and their role in society. Before reading this book, I had been satisfied to look askance at the findings/assertions of Freudian psychoanalysis; no more. The books listed here by Jones as sources are likewise a wish-list of arcane literature. Man Into Wolf, by renowned scholar Robert Eisler, is an equally erudite, if not as essential work, dealing with the role of sadism in the human unconscious and society. It is perhaps significant as perhaps the first work (that I know of) to use the phrase "serial killing" (1949).

I did not include all the books mentioned in the lists below, just the ones that seemed most interesting. I apologize in advance for any typing errors in the following lists; I'm not a good typist, ---plus a weird/latent dyslexia seems to have played its part.

Golden Dawn hermetic Library. West Kensington, London, 1897.

Abraham Eleazar. An ancient Alchymic work, Anonymous. Trans. By W. S. Hunter, from a german MSS. Frankfort, 1774.

Adams, W. D. Curiosities of Superstition. London, 1882.

Aesch-Metzareph, or Purifying Fire, from the Kabalah of Rosenroth, trans. By A Lover of the Philistines, 1714. London, 1894.

Agrippa, H. C. De Incertitudine et Vanitate Omnium Scientiarum. 1609.

Albertus Magnus, De Secretis Mulierum. 1625.

25 Alchemic Tracts in Latin, no date.

An Account of Some Experiments on Mercury, Silver & Gold, by J. Price. Oxford, 1782.

The Science of Spiritual and Material, by S.A. London, 1893.

Allegmeine und General Reformation, beneben der Fama Fraternitatis des Loblichen Ordens des Rosencreutzes, and other tracts. 1681.

Allen, E. H. A Manual of Cheirosophy. London, 1885.

Aratos, The Phainomena, or Heavenly Display. Trans. By Robert Brown, 1895.

Lectures on the Science of Celestial Philosophy by Zuriel. London, 1835.

Urania, Fate and Fortune. 1880, 1890.

Vade Mecum or a Complete System of Prgnostication from the Influenc eof the Stars, by Hermes. Leeds, 1851.

Avatars of Vishnu by T. H. Pattinson.

Bailly M, Histoire de l’Astronomie Ancienne Depuis son origine Jusqu’a l’establissement de l’ecole d’ Alexandria. Paris, 1775.

Bailly, M., Traite de l’Astronomie Indienne et Orientale, paris, 1787.

Bangi, T., Caelum Orientis et prisci Mundi, 1657.

Beausobre, M. de, Histoire Critique de Manichee et du Manicheisme, 2 vols. Amsterdam, 1734.

Becher, J. J., Tripus Hermeticus Fatidicus, 1689.

Beckius, Ephemerides Persarum, 1696.

Berkeley, Bishop, Treatise on the Nature of the Material Substance (and its relation to the Absolute.) London, 1878.

Bertrand, A., Du Magnetisme Animal en france. Paris, 1826.

Betham, Sir W., Etruscan Literature and Antiquities. 1862.

Blackwell, T., Letters Concerning Mythology. London, 1748.

Bonwick, james, irish Druids. 1894.

Bonwick, james, Pyramid Facts and Fancies, 1877.

Borrichius, J., Hermetis Egyptorium et Chemicorum Sapientia. 1674.

Bourguet, M., lettres Philosophiques sur la Formation des Sels et des Crystaux, Amsterdam, 1729.

Bunsen, C. J. Egypt’s Place in Universal History, V. I. London, 1867.

Burgoyne, T. H., Celestial Dynamics, a Course of Astro Metaphysical Study, private MSS.

Cagliostro, Nachricht von des Beruchtigten, Berlin, 1787.

Calmet, The Phantom World, trans. By H. Christmas, 2 vol., London, 1850.

Collectanea Hermetica, ed by Wm. W. Wescott.
I. Hermetic Arcanum, by Jean d’Espagnet,
II. The Divine Pymander of Hermes,
III. Hermetic Art by Philalthes,
IV. Aesch-Metzareph,
V. Somnium Scipionis of Cicero,
VI. Chaldean Oracles, Euphrates by Eugenius Philalethes,
VIII. Egyptian magic by S.S.D.D.

Chromopathy, or the Science of Healing Diseases by Colors, by J. P. Jha, madras, 1897.

Combachius, L., Sal Lumen et Spiritus Mundi Philosophici, ro The Dawning of the Day Discovered. London, 1657.

Comenius, J. A., The Rosecrucians Divine Light, London, 1651.

The Conjurers Magazine, V. I & II, 1791-1793.

Egyptian Dictionary, by T. Young. London, 1831.

Tattam, H., Grammar of the Egyptian language, London, 1830.

MacDonald, W. B., Sketch of a Coptic Grammar, 1856.

A new Guide to the Srudy of Coptic, R. C. Fisher.

Crata Repoa, Oder Einweilhungen in der Alten Geheimen Gesallschaft de Egyptischen Priester, 1785.

Crosset de la Haumerie, M., Les Secrets les Plus Caches de la Philosophie des Anciens Decouverts et Expliques, Paris, 1762.

Dale, A Va, De Oraculis, Amsterdam, 1700.

Dee, Dr. J. A True Relation of What Passed Between Dr. Dee and Some Spirits, London, 1659.

Deee, Dr. John, The Private Diary of, London, 1842.

De Freval, The History fo the Heavens, London, 1740.

Deleuze, J. P. F., Pratical Instruction in Animal Magnetism, London, 1843.

Demonologia, ro Natural Knowledge Revealed, by J. S. F. London, 1831.

Denon, V., Voyages Dans le Basse et la Haute Egypte,2 vols., London, 1807.

Despange, J., Shibboleth ou Reformation de Quelques Passages de la Bible, Geneva, 1671.

D’Espagnet, J., Enchyridion Physicae restitutoe, or the Summary of Physics recovered, London, 1651.

D’Espagnet J. The Hermetic Arcanum of penes nos unda Tag. London, 1893.

Delphi Phoenicizantes, ed. By Dickinson. Oxford, 1655.

Dictionnaire Hermetique, Contenant l’explication des termes, Paris, 1695.

Catalog of Egyptian Antiquities, Museum of Hartwell House, 1858.

Egypt and Nubia by J. St. John, London 1845.

Ecerpta Hieroglyphics, by Burton, J., London, 1828.

Congres Provincial des Orientales Fancais, paris, 1878.

De Symbolica Egyptorium Sapienta Symbola, and the Symbolicus of Polyhistor, 1631.

Essay on Young and Champollion’s Syustem of Hieroglyphics, by H. Salt, London, 1825.

Fama Fraternitatis, 1681.

Fantasmagoriana ou Recueil d’Histories d’Apparitions des Spectres, revenans, Fantomes, 2 vols., Paris, 1812.

Dr. Faust, Bucherschatz, Stuttgart, 1851.

Fethius, E. Antiquit Homericarum, 1743.

A new Guide to Coptic, Risher, R. C.

The Hieroglyphic Figures of 1624, Flamel, N.

La Kabbale on la Philosophie Religieuse des Hebreux, Paris, 1843.

The Magical and Masonic Mirror, London, 1858.

Fripp, E. I. The Composition of the Book of Genesis. 1892.

Gaffarel, M. I. , Curiousitez Inouyes Sur la Sculpture Talismanique des Persans, Rouen, 1631.

Gaffarel, M. I., Des Talismans, De l’Ungent des Armes, Paris, 1636.

Geber, rex Abram, His Treatesis on Alchemy, in latin. 1682.

Ginsburg, C. D., The Kabbalah: Its Doctrines, Development and Literature, London, 1865.

Gould, R. F., History fo Freemasonry, London, 1886.

Haen, Ant de, De Magia Liber, 1775.

Hammer, J., Ancient Alphabets, from the Arabic of Ahmad bin Washih, 1806.

Harris, A. C., Hieroglyphical Standards, London.

Hartmann, J., In the Pronaos of the Temple of Wisdom, London, 1890.

Havilland, Saumarez de, The Mystic Serpent, 1891.

Hebrew, Latin and English Dictionary, by J. S. Frey, London, 1815.

Hebraicum Lexicon ex Ejus Lexico Heptaglotto, by E. Castelli, 1790.

Helmont, F. M. B., Alphabet I vere Naturalis Hebraici Brevissima, 1657.

Herbert, The Hon. G., Nimrod, A Discourse on Certain Passages of History and Fable, London, 1828.

Heucher, M. J. H., Magic Plants, 1886.

Hitchcock, T., Remarks Upon Alchemy and the Alchemists, N. Y., 1865.

The Hieroglyphics of Horapollo Nilous, by A. T. Cory, 1811.

Hoskins, G. A., Visit to the Great oasis of the Libyan Desert, London, 1837.

Kakerlak Oder Geschichete Eine Rosenkreutzers aus dem Vorigen Jahrunderte, 1784.

Kendall, An Appendix to the Unlearned Alchemist, London, No date.

Kircher, Podromus Coptus sive Aegyptiacus, Rome, 1636.

The Kneph, V. I-VIII, 1888, London.

Landseer, J., Sabean researches, London, 1823.

Lane, E. W., An Account of the Manners and Customs of the Modern Egyptians, London, 1890.

Lee, E., Animal magnetism, London, 1843.

Lee, E., Animal magnetism and Magnetic Lucid Somnambulism.

Leland, C. G., The Hudnred Riddles of the Fairy Belaria, London, 1892.

Levi, Eliphaz, The Magical Ritual of the Sanctum Regnum, trans. W. W. Wecsott, London, 1896.

Levi, Eliphaz, The Shemhamphorash and the Keys of the Tarot, in MSS., trans. By W. W. Wescott, 1861.

Lilly, Wm., Christian Astrology, 3 books, 1659.

Limburg Brouwer, Van, Akbar, an Eastern Romance, London, 1879.

Logia Ihesou, or Sayings of our Lord, from an Early Greek Papyrus, 1897.

Marcarius, J., Abraxas seu Apistopistus, Antwerp, 1657.

Mackay, C., The Salamandrine, London, 1853.

Mahan, A., Modern Mysteries Explained and Exposed, Boston, 1855.

Maier, J. A., Ueber Jesuiten, Fremaurer und Deutsche Rosencreutzer, 1781.

Maier, Arcana Arcanissima, No Date.

Maier, M., Cantilenoe Intellectuales de Phoenice Redivio, paris, 1758.

Maier, M., Scrutinium Chymicum, 1687.

Maier, M., Symbola Aureoe Mensoe Duodecim Nationum, Franco, 1617.

Maimondies, Porta Mosis sive Dissert Aliquot, 1655.

Malchus, De Vita Pythagorae, 1610.

Manilius, Astonomicon. com Notis Bentleii, London, 1739.

Masonic Magazine, Vols. V., VIII, IX, London 1877-82.

Massey, Gerald, The Ballad of babe Christobel, London, 1854.

Melville, Veritas, Revelation of Mysteries, London, 1874.

Mercury, A Theosophical magzine, Vol. III, San Francisco, 1897.

Mesmer, M., Meoire sur la Decouverte du magnetisme Animal, geneva, 1779.

Michaelis, S., The Admirabel History of a penitent Woman, London, 1613.

Moritz, K. P., Die Symbolik Weisheit der Aegypter, berlin, 1793.

Murr, C. G. van, Uber den Wahren Ursprung der Rosenkreuzer und des Freymaurerordens, 1803.

Museum Hermeticum Reformatum et Amplificatum Continens Tractatus Chimicos, 1749.

Myer, Isaac, Qabbalah, The Philosophical Writings of Avicebron, 1888.

The Occult Magazine, Vol. I & II, Glasgow, 1885-86.

Oimenepthah, I., The Alabaster Sarcophagus of the King of Egypt, London, 1864.

Old, W. R., Kabalistic Astrology, or Your Fortune in Your Name, by Sephariel. No Date.

Olivier, G., Institutes of Masonic Jurisprudence, London, 1859.

Sybyllina Oracula ex vett codd auct renovata et notis illus a J. O. Brettano, paris, 1607.

Owen, M. A., Old rabbit the Voodoo & other Sorcerers, London, 1893.

Palingenius, M., Zodiacus Vitae, 1628.

Palmer, A. Smythe, Babylonian Influence on the Bible, 1897.

Paracelsus, Compendium ex Optimis Quibis que Ejus Libris, paris, 1567.

Philalethes, Eir, Kern der Alchemie, aus dem Englishchen Ubersetzt, 1685.

Philalethes, Eug., Euphrates or the Waters of the east, 1655.

Picus, Joh. De Mirandula, Cabalistarum Selectiora, 1569.

Porphyry, De Anto Nympharum, Grace Cum Latina 1765.

Porta, J. B., magiae Naturalis Lib. XX, 1651.

The Prasnottara, Indian organ of the Theosophical Society, Vols. I & II, Madras, 1891-92.

Ptolemy, Claudius, tetrabiblos, Being 4 Books of the Influence of the Stars, trans. By j. M. Ashmand, London, 1822.

Regnaud, P., le Rig Veda, et Les Origines de la Mythologie Indo-Europeene, paris, 1892.

Reichenbach, C. von, researches on the Dynamics of Magnetism, ed. By J. Ashburner, London, 1851.

Rosicrucina, 1681; contains the following-
-Allgemeine und Generale reformation, 1614;
-Fama Fraternitatis;
-Antwort, von Adam Haselmeyer;
-Wolgemeyntes Auschreiben an die Hockwordigste Fraternitat de rosencreutzes, 1617;
-Geistlicher Discurs und Betrachtung;
-Vors Ander von der Liebe un ihrer Asrt, Natur und Eigenschafft.

Chymische Hochzeit Christiani Rosencreutz, 1616.

Constitution de dr Gesellschaft zum ‘Rosigen Kreuz’, 1874.

Der Heillige Balthasar ein Bruder Rosenkreutzer, 1795.

Geschichte des Bruder Gordians, 1789.

The Rosicrucian, 1868-1875, w/ Transactions of the Met. Coll. in Anglia, 1885-1897.

S. A., The Science of Spiritual and Material Alchemy, 1893.

Scott, W., The Existence of Evil Spirits Proved, London, 1853.

Sharp, G., The Case of Saul and the Influence of Demons, London, 1807.

The revelations of the Shechinah, or The Tree of Life in the Holy Royal Arch, by V.Q.S.V., 1887.

Smyth, J.P., How We Got Our Bible, 1896.

Somnium Scipionis, trans. By L.O.; The Golden Verses of Pythagoras, by A.E.A.; The Symbols of Pythagoras, by S. A., 1894.

Sonnini, C. S., travels in Upper and Lower Egypt, London, 1799.

South, Thos. [Thuosmathos], Early Magnetism in its Higher Relations to Humanity, London, 1846.

South, Thos., A Suggestive Inquiry into the Hermetic Mystery, London, 1850.

Spectres- Mirabiles, Hist. De Sepctris, de Invocayione Sanctorum, 1656.

St. Hill, K., The Garmmar of Palmistry, 1894.

Stobaeus, Eclogoe Physicarum et ethic arum Libri, 2 vols., 1972.

Swedenborg, E., Conjugal Love, London, 1876.

Taylor, Thos., Iamblichus on the Mysteries, London, 1895.

Taylor, Thos., Sallust on the Gods and the World, London, 1793.

Taylor, Thos., the Mystical Hymns of Orpheus, London, 1896

The temple rebuilt, by V.Q.S.V., 1886.

Trithemius, J., Steganographia, 1721.

The Vahan, Vols. III, IV, V, VI, in one volume, 1893-97.

Valentine, B., His Triumphant Chariot of Antinomy, London, 1678.

Welling, g. von, Opus Mago Cabbalisticum et theosophical, Frankfort, 1784.

Westcott, W. W., Suicide; its History, Literature, London, 1885.

Wilkinson, Sir G., The Egyptians in the Time of the Pharaohs, London, 1857.

Witsius, H., Aegyptica, Amsterdam, 1696.

Yarker, J., Continuation of the Comte de gabalis, bath, 1897.

Zollner, C. F., Transcendental Physics, trans. C. Massey, London, 1882.

Zschokke, H., Tales from the German, London, 1846.

Ernest Jones, On the Nightmare, sources cited/works mentioned:

Macario, M. A., Du Sommeil, Des Reves et du Somnambulisme, 1857.

Marggraf, Die Schlaflosigkeit, Schlafsucht, das Alpdruken und nervose Herzklopfen, 1905.

Bell, Andrew, Nocturnal revels, or a General history of Dreams, 1707, Pt. I.

Bond, J., An Essay on the Incubus, or Nightmare, 1753.

Schmidt, W., De Ephialte sive Incubone, 1627.

Teichmyer, De Incubo, 1651.

Welsch, De Incubo, 1643.

Wanckel, A., De Incubo, 1651.

Aeplinius, G. F., Diss. Sistens Aegrum incubo Laborantem, 1678.

Jorolis, De Incubo, 1680.

Meinicnke, D. C., De Incubo, 1683.

Muller, J. De Ephialte seu Incubo, 1688.

Wenzlovius, C. G., De Incubo, 1691.

Herzberg, De Incubo, 1691.

Gockel, C. L., De Incubo ex Epitome Praxeos Clinicae, 1708.

Rosner, De Incubo, 1708.

Hagedorn, C. B., De Incubo, 1730.

Huisinga, Diss. Sistens Incubi Causas Praecipuas, 1734.

Textoris, De Incubo, 1740.

Macnish, R., The Philosophy of Sleep, 1834.

Waller, A Treatise on the Incubus, or Nightmare, 1816.

Radestock, P, Schlaf und Traum, 1879.

Fosgate, “Observations on Nightmare”, American journal of the Medical Sciences, 1834.

Splittgerber, F., Schlaf und Tod, 1866.

Rauch, J. H., “Case of Nightmare Caused by Elongation of the Uvula,” American journal fo the medical Sciences, 1852.

Binz, C., Uber den traum, 1878.

Maudsley, H., The pathology of Mind, 1879.

Delassus, J., les Incubes et les Succubes, 1897.

Blavatsky, H. P., Nightmare Tales, 1892.

Ennemsoer, J., Geschichte der Magie, 1844.

Fischer, F., Geschichte des Somnambulismus, 1839.

Muller, Johannes, Uber die Phantastischen Gesichterscheinungen, 1826.

Moses, J., pathological Aspects of religion, 1906.

Nagour, P. & Laurent, E., Okkultismus und Liebe, 1903.

Lenourmant, F., Chaldean Magic, Eng. Trans., 1877.

Maury, L. F. Alfred, La Magie et l”astrologie, 1860.

Gould, C., Mythical Monsters, 1886.

Dalyell, J. G., The Darker Superstitions of Scotland, 1835.

Freimark, H., Okkultismus und Sexualitat.

Gener, p., la Mort et le Diable, 1880.

Sinistrari, Demoniality or Incubi and Succubi, 17th cent., Eng. Trans., 1879.

Bois, Jules, La Satanisme et la Magie, 1895.

De Guaita, Stanislas, Temple de Satan, 1891.

Des Mousseaux, Les Hauts Phenomenes de la Magie.

Murisier, E., Les Maladies du Sentiment Religieux, 1909.

Pezet, Ch., Contribution l’etude de la Demonomanie, 1909.

Institoris, H. & Sprenger, J., Malleus Malleficarum, 1487.

Jacob, P. L., Curiosities Infernales.

Hofler, M., “Medizinischer Damonismus”, Zentralblatt fur Anthropologie, 1900.

Michelet, Jules, La Sorciere, 1863.

King James I, Daemonologie, 1615.

De Sainte-Andre, lettres au Sujet de la Magie, des Malefices et des Sorciers, 1725.

Macario, M. A.,”Etudes Clinqiues sur la Demonolomanie”, Annales Medico Psychologies, 1843.

Cullimore, Oriental Cylinders.

Hamilton, Mary, Incubation, or The Cure of Diseases in pagan temples and Christian Churches, 1906.

Deubner, L., De Incubatione, 1900.

Deane, J. B., The Worship of the Serpent, 1883.

Du Bose, H. C., The Dragon, Image and Demon, 1886.

Howard, C., Sex Worship, 1902.

Wake, G. Staniland, Serpent Worship, 1888.

Hock, S., die Vampirsagen und ihre Verwertung in der deutschen Literatur, 1900.

Conway, M. D., demonology and Demon-Lore, 1879.

O. Henne am Rhyn, Der Teufels- und Hexenglaube, 1892.

Gholes, Histoire des Vampires, 1820.

Menant, J., Ninive et Babylone.

Lenormant, F., Chaldean magic, Eng. Trans., 1877.

Roskoff, G., Geschichte des Teufels, 1869.

Calmet, Dissertation sur les Apparitions des Anges, des demons et Des Esprits, et Sur les Revenants et Vampires de Honrie, de Boheme, de Moravie, et de Silesie, 1746.

Hertz, W., Der Wrwolf, Beitrag sur Sageneschichte, 1862.

De Cauzons, Th., la Magie et la Sorcellerie en France, 1911.

Abraham, Karl, Traum und Mythus, 1909.

The Ancient English Romance of William and the Werewolf, ed. By Sir Frederick Madden, 1832.

Boguet, H. Discours des Sorciers, 1603.

Remigius, Daemonolatria, 1595.

Wolfeshusius, J. F., De Lycanthropia, 1591.

De Lancre, Pierre, Tableau de l’Inconstance des mauvais Anges et demons, 1612.

Sikes, W. W., British Goblins, 1880.

Roberston, J. M., Pagan Christs, 1903.

Hedelin, F., Des Satyres, Brutes, Monstres et Demons, 1627.

Louandre, C. L., Sorcellerie.

De Plancy, J. A. S. Collin, Dictionnaire Infernal, 1818.

Le Loyer, Discours et Histoires des Spectres, Visions et apparitions, 1605.

Brevannes, R., L’Orgie Martinique a Travers les Siecles, 1904.

Eickman, Die Angelologie und Damonologie des Korans, 1908.

Pinches, T. G., The Religion of babylonia and Assyria, 1906.

Delrio, les Controverses et recherché Magiques, 1611.

Delrio, Inquisitiones Magicae, 1599.

Ennemoser, J., Geschichte der Magie, 1844.

Bourke, J. G., Scatologic Rites of all Nations, 1891.

Wier, J., Histoires, disputes et discours des illusions et impostures des Diables, 1577.

Scot, Reginald, The Discoverie of Witchraft, 1584.

Graf, A., Geschichte des Teufelsglaubens, 1893.

Maury, “Origine Dominique attribuee aux maladies nerve uses et mentales.”

Nevius, J. L., Demon Possession and Allied Themes, 1894.

Pezet, Ch., Contribution a l’etude de la demimondaine, 1909.

Muller, Johannes, Uber die Phantastischen Gesichtersheinungen, 1826.

Santerre, Histoire des Diables de Loudon, 1694.

Torreblanca, Daemonologia, 1615.

Scott, Sir Walter, Letters on Demonology and Witchraft, 1829.

Thompson, R. Lowe, The History of the Devil, 1929.

Hagen, Der teufel im Lichte der Glaubensquellen, 1899.

Nynauld, De la Lycanthropie, 1615.

Robert Eisler, Man Into Wolf:

Gorer, Geoffrey, The Revolutionary ideas of the Marqis de Sade, 1934.

De Shaw, Brian & Egan, Beresford, Des Sade, Being a Series of Wounds Inflicted with Brush and pen Upon Sadistic Wolves Garbed in Masochistic Wool, London, Fortune Press, 1929.

De Sade, Dorci ou la Bizarrerie de la Mort, paris, 1881.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 14 Jun 09 | 05:47PM by Gavin Callaghan.

Goto Page: Previous12345AllNext
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page