Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Donald Sydney-Fryer
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 19 December, 2008 08:10PM
I have noticed much activity looking for obscure writers, and began to wonder how many of you have actually bought and read any of DSF's work - most of you are familiar with his works regarding Clark Ashton - The Sorcerer Departs, et al -- but his own work beginning with "Songs and Sonnets Atlantean", and progressing across additions to this theme, a new compendium of that work, and his excellent translation of Gaspard de la Nuit may be unfamiliar.
Hippocampus Press has done the latest edition, and I recommend it highly - you will particularly enjoy the subtle humor - he is a worthy follower of the tradition which he chosen to respect in his writing. I first met Don when he made a pilgrimage to Auburn to meet CAS, and he stayed briefly with Clark's lifelong friend, Ethel Heiple who lived just up the hill from me. I was around 19, and on my way to Syracuse,U. and he was just out of the marines.
In 1960, after graduating from Syracuse and cycling cross country, I met him again and introduced him to Edmund Spenser's glorious work - we lost track of each other by 1967, and on meeting again after discovering this site only 4 or 5 years ago his first words to me were - "You saved my life!" - and this because of Spenser! I then learned of his lifelong devotion to Spenser and Smith, and his career of presenting programs of the the works of these masters all over the place, accompanying hmself on the bass lute - subsequently, he joined me here for the release of "Sword of Zagan" at Barnes and Noble, and joined me on a radio show I am a regular part of presenting Smith recited with accompaniment - what a joy! Later he joined me again to record as much of the poetry of Clark as we could - Boyd has agreed to put an excerpt on the website, and when I can figure out how to do it I will send something - I think the "Ghoul and the Seraph" - Again, I strongly urge the reading of his work to the wider community - those who have already gotten to know Donald will, I am sure, second the motion.

Re: Donald Sydney-Fryer
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 20 December, 2008 06:12PM
I would second the Good Doctor's recommendation of THE ATLANTEAN CHRONICLES. DSF is an authentic continuation of the California Romantic poetic tradition, and his poetry is lyrical, imaginative, and has the same quality of liberating us from the mundane world that CAS had. Don't read him in one sitting, for the same reason you shouldn't overeat certain rich foods. For best results, read two or three poems a night until complete, and you will have the same satisfaction as the readers of EBONY AND CRYSTAL and SANDALWOOD back in the Day, knowing that you are members of a proud fraternity (and sorority, Colin!), a select, dare I say elite, readership, who can separate true gold from iron pyrite.

Scott

Posted by: australianreaderdotcom (IP Logged)
Date: 20 December, 2008 10:58PM
I am also familiar with Mr Sidney-Fryer's work, not only as a poet, a translator, and a commentator on Smith, but also as a bibliographer and editor of CAS' works. By all means, find what you can by him, and read it, as it is a splendid body of work.

In addition, I had first editions of the Songs & Sonnets books, which I gave to a friend, Brad, after I picked up the Hippocampus Press edition.

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 28 December, 2008 05:21PM
The Atlantis Fragments is indeed the Magnum Opus of Donald Sidney-Fryer, comprising the three collections in his "Songs and Sonnets Atlantean" series, and including all of the extensive notes by the highly acclaimed literary scholar Dr. Ibid M. Andor. This omnibus edition boasts a fine introduction by Brian Stableford, numerous illustrations and embellishments, and includes many examples of prose poetry and prose sketches as well as pure poetry. Beauty, Grace, Elegance, Humor, Imagination . . . Sidney-Fryer's poetry is all this, and much more.
Not all of the contents deal with Atlantis; many poems are tributes to such well known poets and writers as Edmund Spenser, Ambrose Bierce, George Sterling, Clark Ashton Smith, Nora May French, August Derleth, Fritz Leiber . . . and the list goes on.
To say this book represents the work of a lifetime is no exaggeration, some fifty years of exacting composition have gone in to its production; and I'm very pleased to report that Derrick Hussey and Hippocampus Press have produced a beautiful tome worthy of this magnificent achievement. Congratulations to both the author and the publisher!
-Ron

Posted by: ArkhamMaid (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2009 01:31PM
Scott Connors Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would second the Good Doctor's recommendation of
> THE ATLANTEAN CHRONICLES. DSF is an authentic
> continuation of the California Romantic poetic
> tradition, and his poetry is lyrical, imaginative,
> and has the same quality of liberating us from the
> mundane world that CAS had. Don't read him in one
> sitting, for the same reason you shouldn't overeat
> certain rich foods. For best results, read two or
> three poems a night until complete, and you will
> have the same satisfaction as the readers of EBONY
> AND CRYSTAL and SANDALWOOD back in the Day,
> knowing that you are members of a proud fraternity
> (and sorority, Colin!), a select, dare I say
> elite, readership, who can separate true gold from
> iron pyrite.
>
> Scott

It could hardly be better said -- and sometimes I verily believe that one of the best and most poignant virtues of counting oneself a fan of Smith's writings is the knowledge that there are so few fellow appreciators out there. A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all as well and special thanks to those like Dr. Farmer, Scott Connors, Ron Hilger, and Boyd Pearson for making available such a lot of knowledge regarding Smith for his insatiable fans!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13 Jan 20 | 09:41PM by ArkhamMaid.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page