Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
CAS/Jacobi letter, Ebay
Posted by: Gavin Callaghan (IP Logged)
Date: 1 January, 2009 08:43PM
[cgi.ebay.com]

[www.auctiva.com]

Description:

JACOBI, Carl. SMITH, Clark Ashton.

TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS) TO CLARK ASHTON SMITH.

Dated 1 May, 1936, one page, signed "Jacobi". On Jacobi's pictorial letterhead depicting a sorcerer in his lair.

Addressed "Dear Friend Smith", Jacobi thanks him for supplying the name of a lawyer to collect funds owed him by Hugo Gernsback. Jacobi discusses his tale "The Face in the Mirror" in the current issue of Weird Tales magazine (the tale appeared in the April, 1936 issue) and how Farnsworth Wright seems hesitant to buy more stories from him. He goes on to discuss other markets for his stories, including Macleans magazine and The Toronto Star; Leo Margulies' new editorship of Wonder Stories, and relocating his workshop on Lake Minnewashta... "I'm using kerosine lamps not yet having the place wired... I plan to go out there one or two days each week when I feel I need seclusion". With the original mailing envelope (torn, postage missing) postmarked May 4, 1936, addressed "Mr. Clark Ashton Smith, Auburn, California", with Jacobi's home address in his hand on the rear cover. The letter is folded for mailing, is slightly browned and has a few minor stains but is in very good condition. Original envelope included, postmarked Minneapolis, May 4, 1936, addressed "Mr. Clark Ash ton Smith, Auburn, California", return address in Jacobi's hand on the rear (end torn, postage removed).

An excellent letter with great content and visual appeal from one important Weird Tales author to another.

price: US $275.00

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page