Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
discovery!
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2009 03:28PM
Most surprising discovery - a local friend and bibliophile like myself found a book store on the north end of town, and suggested I would like it - I found it this afternoon and it is called "Ancient Mariner Books" -
It is owned by one Tim Chase - formerly of Utah - I entered and was stunned to see the word "Cthuhu" on the spines of dozens of books - I have not had time to make a thorough examination of the place, but he has an impressive collections of magazines (I saw "Amazing Stories" in a quick perusal, he says he has several signed Lovecraft works, and is familiar with the whole genre apparantly, attended the Horror convention last year, etc. - I gave him the address of this website, particularly in view of the recent extensive Lovecraft thread - this is the sort of situation in which hidden treasures may lurk - if any of you already know him let me know - he has been a book dealer for 30 years, and moved here only 3 months ago - single dad, 15 year old son from what i gather.
Also has a large collection of classic ship models still in the box. I shall visit again soon when i have more time - and Scott - perhaps I shall share "late Bloomer" if it seems appropriate.
Last place on earth I would have expected to find this type of store - let's hope he survives.

Re: discovery!
Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2009 04:02PM
Cool discovery! (Kind of like when I entered my favourite haunt and found FOUR 1st US editions of Dunsany together -- after having found four miscellanous Dunsany titles over a period of TEN YEARS...)

"signed Lovecraft works"... Hmmm... Mr. Chase will need to clarify that because it makes me curious. Does he have signed copies of magazines, or original Mss. (now that's a nice thought!), or Lovecraft books signed by someone else (e.g., the editor)? Because Lovecraft had only one book published in his lifetime (well, two, if you count The Shunned House), and I don't think he signed very many of those.

Posted by: Ken K. (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2009 01:15AM
Calonlan, what port does Ancient Mariner Books call home? You forgot to mention this! Of course, you probably referred to your hometown in another post and with my sieve-like memory...

J. B. Post in another thread has voiced concern that topics about HPL may be shifting the emphasis too far away from CAS on what is, after all, the premiere CAS website. I confess I'm not greatly worried about this--the conversation always seems to swing back to Smith no matter what detours into politics or literary criticism take place. But as the subjects are books and bookstores, I thought I'd throw a few questions into the pot, for any bibliophiles or friends of CAS (these are probably one and the same):

1. What bookstores did Smith frequent? Are any of them still operational? (If so, there's a great opportunity for an in-store promotion: CAS BROWSED HERE).

2. In the Arkham House collection of Smith's letters, I believe he mentions rebinding books in more artistic covers. Are any of these rebound books still extant? Has anyone out there seen them? If anyone has, I'd love to hear your opinion of them!

Date: 24 April, 2009 01:57PM
two answers - I have not looked at the signed Lovecraft stuff he says he has - but will take a look next chance I get - Am not per se a Lovecraft officionado, but a moderate admirer, but always curious about the unusual appearance of any one who even knows the names we banter about -

Clark did not have a large personal library when I knew him, and kept the books he did have hidden away as the most precious objects - like the manuscripts he gave me from some dark trove in the tiny dirt basement in Pacific Grove - He considered the Carnegie his personal library - as to book stores, his old friend the antique dealer (who married the Novak boy) was the only person in Auburn who had anything like a used book store in old town - Clark looked more to friends like Roy Squires and the Sullys to provide him with books of interest. As to re-binding - at the time I knew him, he was not doing any such work, and when he did, it was to give them away to friends - Clark (and I) are of the old school about honoring books - the feel of the book in your hands, the adventure you about to undertake - these things deserve fine bindings and elegant paper - I showed Clark the copies of the Nordic sagas i had bought in NY for .25 apiece - Leather bound, gold embossed - tooled - publications of the Noroena society (Icelandic Sagas, Burnt Njal, etc - 7 volumes) - and, Oh how he admired them - They still occupy an honored place on my shelves.

Posted by: walrus (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2009 03:42PM
calonlan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> two answers - I have not looked at the signed Lovecraft stuff he says he has - but will take a look next chance I get - Am not per se a Lovecraft officionado,
> but a moderate admirer, but always curious about the unusual appearance of any one who even knows the names we banter about

Could be books from Lovecraft's personal library to which he had signed his name. Those exist on the market. I'm not sure if copies of his own books (Shunned House, Innsmouth, perhaps one can also count in The Cats of Ulthar) that are signed really exist, other than inscribed copies which is not strictly the same. If you find one for less than $10,000 might be worth picking up...

- JMR

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2009 04:29PM
walrus Wrote:
>
> Could be books from Lovecraft's personal library
> to which he had signed his name. Those exist on
> the market.

Good point. I've actually held one of those in my hands.

Date: 26 April, 2009 04:49PM
Among the books I actually picked up was a bound edition of comic book format - doubtless some stories were done for some mag in this fashion - I am not familiar with it, other than the two Conan comics that adapted CAS tales (including the Avoozl story that Scott likes so much (justifiably - certainly has a most urbane and sophisticated monster) - If any of you know of these comic versions and of their having been bound - and have any interest, let me know - It is possible that these have been signed by the artist - I don't know yet. Still spending most of my time caring for my wife who is still recovering from knee replacement surgery - I am therefore in the role of Sir Gofer Getthis. Which of course I signed on for in that "sickness and health" clause - God knows she spent enough of her dues doing that for me - so, eager as I am to run back to the bookstore, it may be a week or so - anyone needing info sooner that that may fly in to Corpus christi, stay with us for a while, and borrow a car to run up to the Store.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 7 May, 2009 12:15PM
Ken K. Wrote:

> In the Arkham House collection of Smith's
> letters, I believe he mentions rebinding books in
> more artistic covers.

I once made a dust jacket for my Hyperion Press edition of The Boats of the "Glen Carrig", because the book cover was so dull. Made it from a large sheet of greenish-yellow kelp, which I dived after. The result was quite satisfactory, and appropriately creepy looking. Treated it similar to tanning of skin, which gave it a nice deep luster. The minuscle crustaceans growing on it, and the even smaller cellular colonies, look like star clusters and nebulae.

Posted by: Ken K. (IP Logged)
Date: 7 May, 2009 04:42PM
Knygatin, that is too cool--a book jacket which would have creeped out H. P. Lovecraft! Um, you were referring to tanning animal skins, weren't you?

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 8 May, 2009 04:18AM
Ken K. Wrote:
> Knygatin, that is too cool--a book jacket which
> would have creeped out H. P. Lovecraft! Um, you
> were referring to tanning animal skins, weren't
> you?

Heh, I am glad you enjoyed hearing of that! I was quite delirious in my excursion making that book jacket. Lot of fun. Experimenting with amateur covers, for books that are in need of it, or for a pile of fascimiles, is something I can recommend.

We're all part of the Animal Kingdom, aren't we.... makes for fine leather.

I have also made a cover for The Moon Pool. I pressed rare flowers and glued them in arrangement onto a thick white surface-structured paper.

Posted by: Taverner (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2009 08:11PM
I'm sorry its taken so long for me to reply to these posts. I have opened a bookstore in Corpus Christi, TX. called "Ancient Mariner Books". It is located at 11229 Leopard St., Corpus Christi, TX 78410. I have 50 or so Lovecraft, Cthulhu Mythos related books, etc., many of them are signed by the authors, my Lovecraft First Editions are not signed by Lovecraft, a couple are signed by the illustrator. Of the Cthulu Mythos related books most of them are signed by the authors. I have a lot of sci-fi pulp magazines, a couple featuring Lovecraft, some featuring Robert E. Howard and quite a few others. Of Clark Ashton Smith Books I only have a few, although I do have an early pulp magazine. I have approx. 500 autographed horror books. If you have any questions let me know.
You can reach me at (361) 249-5100 from 9am till 8pm. or at marinerbooks@aol.com
Best Wishes!
Tim Chase

Posted by: OConnor,CD (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2009 08:15AM
I would love to receive a listing of all the great books your new store will carry. I, myself am a Lovecraft/CAS collector with many real items; like a post card signed by Lovecraft to R.H. Barlow and a weird tales envelope addressed to CAS; just to name a few (and a budding author). So if you carry anything you think I might like, plz email me off forum. And I live in VA so its not an across the street matter. Anyway, congratulations and I hope to hear from you.

CD

Date: 7 August, 2009 09:43AM
Tim - I delighted to see you made it to the forum - I will probably be over to say hi, before you have time to answer this -
and again to my colleagues on the forum - between our beloved Gavin, and new Friend Tim Chase, I think we can see some additional progress in promoting the authors we love -

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page