Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
B&N HPL collection 2nd printing / HPL & ED
Posted by: J. B. Post (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2009 07:52PM
My local B&N store says it has 9 copies of the COLLECTED FICTION on the way. Since the first printing seems to have been sold out, this is probably the second printing. Hmm, will the first printing copies be more "collectible" than subsequent printings?

Eldritch Dark is supposed to be about CAS, but there is a lot of just HPL stuff. Hard to not deal with the other great fantasists here, but sometimes I detect the focus slipping from CAS.

Re: B&N HPL collection 2nd printing / HPL & ED
Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2009 10:31AM
J. B. Post Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My local B&N store says it has 9 copies of the
> COLLECTED FICTION on the way. Since the first
> printing seems to have been sold out, this is
> probably the second printing.

I don't think it is. The second printing isn't supposed to appear until this fall. It may be "store copies" that have been in some store somewhere. Anyway, the book is still listed as "sold out" at the B&N website.

But there's an easy way to check whether it is the second printing: see if the typos have been corrected. My errata can be found at [www.sffchronicles.co.uk]

> Hmm, will the first
> printing copies be more "collectible" than
> subsequent printings?

I don't know -- possibly, in spite of the textual quality.

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 23 April, 2009 06:54PM
Quote:
Eldritch Dark is supposed to be about CAS, but there is a lot of just HPL stuff. Hard to not deal with the other great fantasists here, but sometimes I detect the focus slipping from CAS.

Lovecraft casts a long shadow, and CAS shall never entirely escape it. At least things are much better now than they were until the early '80's or so, when CAS, if he was generally known at all, was mentioned primarily as an appendage to Lovecraft, or as one of the--*gags*--"Three Musketeers of Weird Tales magazine".

As for the "focus", this forum is an odd one, and one never knows which discussions will take flight, and which ones will die in their cradle. For instance, I posted a link to what I thought was a very interesting contemporary online article that echoes some of CAS's predictions regarding literary taste ("Conceptual Fiction?"). That post spawned no comment whatsoever, and yet a thread devoted to the very minor and tangential writer Hanns Heinz Ewers goes on for pages and pages!

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 24 April, 2009 02:44AM
And I posted a very disturbing video about a gnome! *laughter* And no one seemed affected, inspite of that image being a vilely blasphemous abomination to the senses. I am sure that film would have driven both Lovecraft and Clark into a rash of letter-writing.

Writing about Lovercaft is unavoidable. Just as writing about Smith's parents, brothers and sisters if he had had any, George Sterling, or anyone else closely connected. He is part of the family. They are soulmates in writing, in both being part of the same isolated time era, and having unprecedented, very unique imaginary abilities.

Another cause for posting here, is that there is no equivalent website for Lovecraft (as far as I know). There is a reason for that. Eldritch Dark largely attracts adult posters. CAS has a much smaller audience than Lovecraft, and generally interests, I believe, intellectual minds. Lovecraft on the other hand has huge masses of audience, and a website therefore becomes clogged with garbage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24 Apr 09 | 02:49AM by Knygatin.

Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 9 May, 2009 07:20PM
I've been trying to convince a chappie at Amazon.com to purchase used copies of the three Penguin Classics editions as he awaits the publication of the 2nd edition of the B&N edition of Lovecraft's fiction -- and he contacted someone from B&N who told him that the second edition won't be publish'd until February or March of next year! WHY?

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2009 03:23AM
It's been postponed? I didn't know that. I was told that it would appear in the fall of this year. Well, I guess there were too many errors to correct.

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 10 May, 2009 07:39AM
Quote:
Well, I guess there were too many errors to correct.

I boldly predict--and nothing would make me happier than to be proven wrong--that we shall never see an error-free edition of the writings of Lovecraft or CAS until the writings receive the Norton Critical editions treatment, or the equivalent.

The editing of these men's writings needs to be in the hands of professional scholars and of academic or other serious publishers. They should not be left to the efforts of amateur scholars, however hard working and well meaning. Nor should they be left to the carelessness of the likes of Barnes & Noble, or even Penguin as it exists today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10 May 09 | 12:30PM by Kyberean.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page