Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Allison V. Harding
Posted by: mikehunchback (IP Logged)
Date: 26 April, 2009 10:00AM
I really like some of her stories for Weird Tales and always wondered about her. Does anyone have information on Ms. Harding? The internet manages to only tell me she used a pen name and nothing else. I'd love to see a book of her stories, or even a fanzine.

Re: Allison V. Harding
Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 26 April, 2009 10:42AM
According to the entry in Supernatural Literature of the World: An Encyclopedia, there really isn't much known about this one, except that it was "the pseudonym of one Jean Milligan of New York, who is reputed also to have been an attorney". Her first tale in WT was in the July, 1943 issue, titled "The Unfriendly World"; her last was in January 1951, titled "Scope"; and, of course, one of the most notable was her "The Damp Man" (July 1947), which had two sequels. (I recall reading "The Damp Man" some 20+ years ago, but I'm afraid I remember very little about it at this point.) The entry may be found in vol. 2, p. 517, and is by Douglas A. Anderson.

There is also a brief entry on her in Mike Ashley's Who's Who in HOrror and Fantasy Fiction (1977; p.88).

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 26 April, 2009 04:53PM
Do not know this author - will check out - However in honoring girl writers - I recommend "Precious Bane" by Mary Webb - I consider this one of the finest books ever written, certainly in the 20th cent. - The witchcraft conjuring scene, though the reader is in on the "faking" of it - is still mesmerising - the book is in welsh dialect but easily readable - brilliant - a made for TV movie some years back was simply appalling - so sad when a film's makers clearly don't understand the subject at all.

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 26 April, 2009 07:03PM
Apologies to the thread's author for digressing briefly, but those who are interested can read a free e-text of Precious Bane--and most of Mary Webb's other works--here.

It's very sad that Mary's writings are not better known, today. She, far more than Houseman, has made me always want to visit Shropshire.

Posted by: mikehunchback (IP Logged)
Date: 27 April, 2009 11:46AM
Kyberean Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apologies to the thread's author for digressing
> briefly, but those who are interested can read a
> free e-text of Precious Bane--and most of Mary
> Webb's other works--here.
>
> It's very sad that Mary's writings are not better
> known, today. She, far more than Houseman, has
> made me always want to visit Shropshire.

No apology necessary! The link to Mary Webb's writings is quite welcome. The description of Webb and 'Precious Bane' brought to mind Evangeline Walton's 'Witch House'. In fact I thought that Walton was Welsh, but a quick look on the 'net shows her as American. Am I incorrectly recalling the Arkham House blurb in the 1945 printing of 'Witch House' (probably)? I'll have to check.

It's startling that Harding wrote so well (in my opinion!) for such a short period of time, making me wonder if there were more pseudonyms before or after. Perhaps it's just me but I'm somewhat impressed at her obscurity considering her output and popularity in Weird Tales. The search continues!

I don't think this forum supports images, so here's a link to a great photo of Walton holding her first book in 1936:

Walton with her first book

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 28 April, 2009 05:12PM
Quite so re Houseman, but who can forget (having once been a youth) - "Oh I have been to Ludlow faire, and left my necktie God knows where...

Posted by: Ken K. (IP Logged)
Date: 28 April, 2009 05:36PM
I've only read one story by Allison V. Harding. I believe it was titled "The Little Red Owl" and it was reprinted in one of Peter Haining's Weird Tales anthologies of the 1970's. It was a good yarn, effectively and economically told. A collection would be very welcome.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page