Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Ashtonian/Lovecraftian Flora
Posted by: Gavin Callaghan (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2009 05:31PM
[www.darkroastedblend.com]

"Socotra Island: you have to see it to believe it

"We covered some otherwordly places before (see, for example, Bolivian Salt Lake, or The Richat Structure), but this island simply blows away any notion about what is considered "normal" for a landscape on Earth.

"Imagine waking up on the Socotra Island and taking a good look around you (let's say your buddies pulled a prank on you and delivered you there, and lets also assume that you don't have any hangover from abuse of any substances). After a yelp of disbelief, you'd be inclined to think you were transported to another planet - or traveled to another era of Earth's history.

"The second would be closer to the truth for this island, which is part of a group of 4 islands, has been geographically isolated from mainland Africa for the last 6 or 7 million years. Like the Galapagos Islands, this island is teeming with 700 extremely rare species of flora and fauna, a full 1/3 of which are endemic, i.e. found nowhere else on Earth...

"(...) ... Alien-looking plants: H. P. Lovecraft's secret inspiration?

"Was the famous Chtulhu myths creator aware of these forbidding mountains with their hauntingly weird flora (think of plant mutations from his "The Color out of Space") ? We almost tempted to call Socotra the other "Mountains of Madness" - the trees and plants of this island were preserved thru the long geological isolation, some varieties being 20 million years old...

"We begin with the dracena cinnibaris or Dragon's Blood Tree, the source of valuable resin for varnishes, dyes, and "cure-all" medicine; also (predictably) used in medieval ritual magic and alchemy -....."

Re: Ashtonian/Lovecraftian Flora
Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2009 08:17PM
Absolutely superb! Many thanks for this. It's interesting, as I was thinking of the Bolivian salt flats when I saw the headline, as well as of Cappadocia and the Tepui Tabletop Mountains.

Posted by: The English Assassin (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2009 05:32AM
Okay, how do I get there?

Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2009 08:42AM
I suggest we fix a date and all meet up there for a little Eldritch Dark get-together. Myself, I am available essentially anytime.

Posted by: Eldritch Frog (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2009 02:45PM
Amazing find! Not only would I like to visit this place, I would like to go scuba-diving there!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page