Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
H.P.L, CAS and 2012
Posted by: OConnor,CD (IP Logged)
Date: 30 September, 2009 06:04PM
Though I do not believe to the slightest degree 2012 is the end, money is a relative thing and it running out,businesses drying up, all of it, if it happens does not mean the world our civilization will end, it just means we have to use our love and wishing to come together to pull through. But reading many Lovecraft and CAS stories like Nyarlathotep and a great Barlow/Lovecraft collaboration "Till A' The Seas" it indicates a end of days theme. I wonder if CAS or Lovecraft had a vague feeling that something in the next few years would wipe us out.

Re: H.P.L, CAS and 2012
Posted by: NightHalo (IP Logged)
Date: 30 September, 2009 09:40PM
The belief in an end of days has been around for a very long time. At the turn of year 1000 C.E., there was a serious belief that the Messiah was about to show himself and bring about the Apocalypse just as the doomsayers predicted with the turn of 2000. It seems to me, this belief is part of humanity's imagination and the nightmare of a particular line of existential musing. Each generation thinks his is that of iron and perhaps rightly so. Dissatisfaction may very well be a catalyst for change.

However, I do not think that Lovecraft or CAS are unique prophets in this area. Henry Miller, Adolus Huxley, and the ancient Norse with Ragnarok for that matter, all made stories on the subject and each may very well have seen it coming. In my experience, apocalyptic literature acts as a temperature gague for the society. In all the damnations and reasons given for why humanity must die, one finds what the author fears is being lost and what new attitudes seem threatening. In this sense, maybe the writers are seeing an apocalpyse, but only in its original Greek meaning, a "revelation" or "lifting of the veil" of things to come.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30 Sep 09 | 09:41PM by NightHalo.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 1 October, 2009 02:43AM
The Maya astronomical calendar ends in December 2012, and starts over. It is the end of an era, and the beginning of something new. It is said to coincide with our solar system and its planets moving into the exact axle plane of the Milky Way galaxy (most of the time we are either slightly above or below it, bobbing up and down in a thousand(s) year cycle), thus being subject to maximum influence from the centre of the Milky Way and the force of the black hole that is supposedly there. On this same occasion Jupiter (and its pull on Earth) will be in line between the Earth and the centre of the Milky Way. And also, the Sun's solar wind eruptions will be at its cyclic maximum outburst (solar winds hit our atmosphere with magnetic particles, which can affect the wheather, and even geological forces in the ground by changing the north-south magnetic field.) So there will be three different cosmic forces affecting the Earth in one direction at the same time.
This is what I have heard from second hand sources, so please don't quote me.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 1 Oct 09 | 03:03AM by Knygatin.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 1 October, 2009 09:30AM
Actually I think the Mayans just ran out of room on the rock - I agree with Jesus who when asked a similar question replied (my translation), "None of your damned businss! For Clark, civilization ended with the invention of the automobile and the telephone.

Posted by: Eldritch Frog (IP Logged)
Date: 1 October, 2009 03:50PM
The real catastrophe will be all the people running to see the world's worst director's next "epic" 2012.

His very name is cinematic blasphy! I despise his movies! They are all light-hearted hack-jobs. Independence Day, Day After Tomorrow, 10,000 B.C. were all absolute light-hearted trash. Yet they deal with themes that should be dark and epic!

/rant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page