Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: How Did CAS Work?
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2009 05:40PM
Thanks, but it is 71 --

and, dear friends, putting on my cap as licensed and practicing Philologist - Hoc est Corpus, if you can envision the abysmal education most Priests had in the Middle Ages, and the mumbling through mass common to many who had no idea what any of it meant, is to all of us in the business undoubtedly the source of Hocus Pocus -
Even as "Abera Kedabra" in the Kabala, became "abracadabra", which does strange things if you write in in a vertical triange, indenting one letter at a time - ie, the "a" in the second line begins under the "b" of the first line and so on - (light refrain from "Twilight Zone" in the background please) - those practicing witchcraft in older times commonly wanted words of "power", and since the simple assumed the words spoken were responsible for the wine and bread becoming in fact the body and blood of Christ, they were quickly adapted - this fact is attested in many ancient sources - witness also the persistence of the mythology regarding the aversion of vampires (et al) to Holy Water, the cross, consecrated ground, and of course, consecrated bread, which denied them their coffin is placed therein - - an amusing perpetuation of superstitious nonsense, but a fact, natheless.

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2009 08:23AM
Although it's a minor point in the scheme of the thread, thanks for the support regarding the derivation of hocus pocus. I find the OED's dogmatic obtuseness on the subject to be somewhat surprising. Then again, such an attitude fits perfectly wih descriptive linguists' adolescent rebellion against "authority", especially when said authority is from the 18th Century (witness the abuse that continues to pour upon the head of poor Bishop Lowth!).

P.S. I have some tangential questions about the Anglo-Saxon language that I'd like to ask you, Calonlan, but these are obviously not suitable for this forum. Is your contact information here current, or might we reach you in some other way?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19 Oct 09 | 09:03AM by Kyberean.

Date: 22 October, 2009 01:45PM
Kyberean Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Although it's a minor point in the scheme of the
> thread, thanks for the support regarding the
> derivation of hocus pocus. I find the OED's
> dogmatic obtuseness on the subject to be somewhat
> surprising. Then again, such an attitude fits
> perfectly wih descriptive linguists' adolescent
> rebellion against "authority", especially when
> said authority is from the 18th Century (witness
> the abuse that continues to pour upon the head of
> poor Bishop Lowth!).
>
>
> P.S. I have some tangential questions about the
> Anglo-Saxon language that I'd like to ask you,
> Calonlan, but these are obviously not suitable for
> this forum. Is your contact information here
> current, or might we reach you in some other way?

you may indeed write by email - so far no one on the Forum has had difficulty reaching me - I have, by the way, a wonderful CD of a young man accompanying himself bardlike in a complete (yes the whole thing!) performance of Beowulf - there are also some interviews with him and Scholars on the disc as well - the only drawback is that i would have costumed him - minor point. Be safe from Grendal "scrithan sceadugenga" this halloween ("dark shadow-goer")

Date: 22 October, 2009 05:31PM
Quote:
Be safe from Grendal "scrithan sceadugenga" this halloween

Thank you. I'll be in contact via the e-mail address on file for you here. In the interim, same to you, regarding the above warning, and be ware of the mearc-stapa, as well!

Date: 24 October, 2009 09:23AM
Calonlan:

The e-mail address you have on file under your screen name here does not work--at least, not for me, as the e-mail regarding Anglo-Saxon that I just sent was bounced back as undeliverable. Please let me know of an alternative e-mail address. Thanks.

Date: 24 October, 2009 10:35AM
Kyberean Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Calonlan:
>
> The e-mail address you have on file under your
> screen name here does not work--at least, not for
> me, as the e-mail regarding Anglo-Saxon that I
> just sent was bounced back as undeliverable.
> Please let me know of an alternative e-mail
> address. Thanks.

I find it odd that that email doesn't work, although I have been on here so long it could go back to my first days on the computer - use remraf3@sbcglobal.net

Goto Page: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page