Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
CAS Stories/Themes - ever made into a movie?
Posted by: cathexis (IP Logged)
Date: 9 November, 2009 04:25PM
Just wondering if there's any film treatments of CAS material.
I already know of "The Ruins" that might be considered CAS-inspired.
(Maybe).

Cathexis

Re: CAS Stories/Themes - ever made into a movie?
Posted by: The English Assassin (IP Logged)
Date: 9 November, 2009 04:33PM
I'm sure it says in the Night Shade collection notes that there was interest in a story (The Colossus of Ylourgne, I think) by Universal, but it never came to anything, alas...

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 10 November, 2009 08:11AM
I am told a "Twilight Zone" was done but I don't know which one - anyone up on that let me know, as I am a regular addict when there is a Twilight Zone marathon on our sci-fi channel - hoping to catch the credits for CAS inspired episode.

Posted by: wamartin2 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 November, 2009 09:16AM
"Return of the Sorcerer" was adapted for NIGHT GALLERY in 1972, starring Vincent Price.

-----Walker Martin.

Posted by: Dunwichsouth (IP Logged)
Date: 20 November, 2009 09:24AM
Hell'wood is so busy with remakes, of bad remakes, I don't think it's interested in trying to do anything as original as CAS... But Here is an obscure gem for ya... Matango.
Matango is a Japanese movie based on William Hope Hodgson's "The Voice in the Night", and is the only movie ever made from his works. I got this movie several years ago, and remembered enjoying it enough, that I think I will pull it out this weekend for a second viewing.

Aval. through Netflix:
[www.netflix.com]
Amazon.
[www.amazon.com]

Date: 22 November, 2009 10:04AM
So, feeling a little hungry for film I ordered a three-pack from Amazon of, "From Beyond," "Dagon,"
and "Call of Cthullu". They offered to deliver overnight so - what the hell - I blew the coin to see
if they could. Ordered at 6pm in Fairfax, VA., it left West Texas and was delivered at 5pm the next day.
Less than 24 hours. WTG, Amazon.

Dagon I had a off-air copy of but glad to have a better copy now. From Beyond I thought was a new one for
me but as soon as all the naughty-bits started showing up I remembered seeing it before on HBO long ago.
Call of Cthullu is for today and it has great reviews so I'm hoping it will be a good one. Looks good.

After movies were done I read, "Rendevous at Averoigne" and "The Holiness of Azederac." I thought that
Azederac in particular had the potential for film treatment. The late (& to me VERY great) Pat McGoohan
would have been a natural as Azederac. Moriamis is a plum role for any 30-ish actress. Ambrose could be
played by the Hollywood Hunk-de-Jour whomever I think and Jehan to a Yves Montand-type perhaps. In any
film of a CAS story atmosphere and "imagery" would be essential for fans to consider it legit. For one
possible answer as to how to portray Averoigne one answer might be found in the movie, "Le Pacte de Loups."
I really thought this movie was a good one at combining atmosphere, action, sex, and a monster all in
one package. If you are a CAS fan you ought to be able to handle a movie with subtitles and if you have
not seen this one I would recommend it. The time of Le Pacte is later but the film does a very good job
of protraying a dark and mysterious french province with deep woods, rolling hills and isolated towns,etc.

Just my two cents worth,

Cathexis

Posted by: Dunwichsouth (IP Logged)
Date: 25 November, 2009 08:16AM
Fairfax VA - Silver Spring here... One of my fav. used book stores is near ya run by a fantastic woman named Edy. She knows her CAS
Hole in the Wall Books
905 West Broad Street
Falls Church, Virginia
"Le Pacte de Loups" (Brotherhood of the Wolf)
[www.imdb.com]
was directed by a Lovecrafting Christophe Gans who also directed a short segment in the (Not so good movie) movie "Necronomicon"
But no one should judge "Le Pacte de Loups" on that fact... This movie oozes atmosphere. Good suggestion.

Date: 26 November, 2009 05:08PM
Hey, thanks for that. I never thought of them.
I do so much on-line I guess I'm guilty of not helping support shops like that one.
I've heard of them and will certainly pay them call here one day soon.

Good reply,

Cathexis

Posted by: deuce (IP Logged)
Date: 3 December, 2009 03:35AM
wamartin2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Return of the Sorcerer" was adapted for NIGHT
> GALLERY in 1972, starring Vincent Price.
>
> -----Walker Martin.

Yes, it was. I wish I had a copy. Since we seem to be going on tangents just a little bit, the song "Still Life" by the rock band, Iron Maiden, is a very accurate paraphrase of "Genius Loci". Honestly, every person I know who is familiar with both works agrees. I have no idea if the resemblance is coincidence or not.

BTW, I agree that "Le Pacte..." is not a bad model if someone wished to an Averoignenne film. Still, I wish Gans had made the monster a bit more Lovecraftian/Klarkash-tonian.

Date: 4 December, 2009 01:59PM
Agreed.

But you know "le Betes de Gevaudan" (sp.?) **were** a historical reality.
Furthermore, their true nature remains a mystery although I think lions
are a good skeptical bet. I thought that the more we saw of the beast the
less horrific he became - no surprise there. I wrote it off to the French always
having to be "French" in whatever they do and so Gans was trying to introduce
something of the Grand Guignol into it all. When they brought a French director
into the Alien Series he did they same thing with "Alien 4."

I love it that (IMHO) the best ever French Director is Jean Paul Melville and he
unabashedly worshiped Hollywood-style Americanisn. I'm told in the Sixties he used
to ride around Paris in a great big old Thunderbird convertible. That's a hoot in my book.

Cathexis

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page