Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
A neglected edition
Posted by: J. B. Post (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2009 10:22AM
While Smith and Lovecraft created nice volumes in their respective pseudobibliographies, I think R. E. Howard did it best with a comparative modern work rather than an ancient tome. There seem to be three editions of NAMELESS CULTS (the von Juntz work, not the REH collection)and I contend that the Bridewall edition of 1845 has been neglected. The original German is almost impossible to find and the Golden Goblin edition of 1909 would show up at auctions now and again, it would be rather pricey for most people. Though badly translated, the Bridewall edition might still be found in rural bookstores in the British Isles. True, anything published in the 19 century gets marked up just for the date of publication, it would still be priced within reach for many. And it would only be scarce, not rare, since scholars sneer at it and bibliophiles like the lavishly produced Golden Goblin edition in spite of its expurgations. And, by the way, if the Golden Goblin edition actually existed, Dover Publications would have done an inexpensive (but well-made) paperback edition with sewn signatures and all, if there were no legal problems with any copyright. Should be in the public domain now if it isn't riding on the Disney coattails of "Steamboat Willy." So, authors have been neglecting to do more with the Bridewall edition than mention it while it does present a way of getting the work, however faultily translated, in the hands of characters without the need of explaining how that character got the expensive and very hard to find editions. I guess the character could find such editions in libraries under lock & key, but always nice to have one's own copy of a work in spite of its flaws.

JBP

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page