Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
O.T.- But I Couldn't Agree More ("Slow Reading")
Posted by: cathexis (IP Logged)
Date: 17 June, 2010 08:04AM
Here's a link the original article;

Professor pushes return to slow reading

This professor argues that our modern culture is losing the value of reading. He argues schools
treat reading as a "race"; The kids themselves often have trouble concentrating of what's written
as they are "programmed" (my word) to jump to hyperlinks, etc. Here's a brief quote:

Quote:
"One student told me even when he was reading a regular book, he'd come to a word and it would almost act like a hyper link. It would just send his mind off to some other thing," Newkirk said. "I think they recognize they're missing out on something."
The idea is not to read everything as slowly as possible, however. As with the slow food movement, the goal is a closer connection between readers and their information, said John Miedema, whose 2009 book "Slow Reading" explores the movement.

"It's not just about students reading as slowly as possible," he said. "To me, slow reading is about bringing more of the person to bear on the book."

Thought I'd share,

Cathexis

Re: O.T.- But I Couldn't Agree More ("Slow Reading")
Posted by: Doc Stacks (IP Logged)
Date: 14 July, 2010 09:55PM
I agree with the professor's sentiments. Save the swift reading for textbooks and the like. The more I enjoy a poet or fiction writer's style, the more slowly I tend to read his work. Needless to say, I always read CAS's work at a very slow pace indeed, preferably aloud.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2010 07:54AM
I used to have my students read works aloud (including their own) - this encourages characterization, inflection, and other techniques that improve understanding and retention - and, with their own work,it shows up grammatical errors - such as a classic dangling participle from one student = "going down the drain, I heard a gurgling noise."

Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2010 05:34PM
One of my favorite examples of a dangling participle comes from a modern "poem" by Ann Waldman cited in one of Paul Fussell's books:

"drinking strong genmai tea,

a purple hairpin slips to the floor".

Of course, today, we'd have a legion of idiot descriptive linguists explaining to us in linguist-babble that that's perfectly proper grammar, and how dare "language mavens" without doctorates in linguistics declare otherwise....

Posted by: Doc Stacks (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2010 10:55AM
Absquatch,

Thanks for that fine example of a dangling participle. It gave me a much-needed chuckle. I suppose the poet could argue, though, that she was striving for surrealism.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page