Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Last Hieroglyph has arrived!
Posted by: Tantalus (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2010 12:29AM
I got it today.

I do like Clark as a Pharaoh on the cover. :)

I subscribed to the set on the first day it was available on the Night Shade Books site. How many years ago? And I live in San Jose, about an hour drive from San Francisco where NSB is based.

The first couple books of the set distributed I got mine early. But last year I got mine after people in Europe were receiving their's. I think I was the last person to get their copy. I don't care if I'm the first but that was annoying.

But I'm happy today!

Get yours yet? And where are you?

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 11 Nov 10 | 01:02AM by Tantalus.

Re: The Last Hieroglyph has arrived!
Posted by: asshurbanipal (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2010 05:10AM
Hi Tantalus
Joy at last! Congratulations! However, NSB have repeatedly promised that CAS5 and Tales of India & Irony would ship together to all subscribers. Guess they lied, huh?

Posted by: Geoffrey (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2010 01:44PM
Good to hear that these have been shipped out. I hope amazon.com gets their copies soon!

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2010 08:40PM
asshurbanipal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Tantalus
> Joy at last! Congratulations! However, NSB have
> repeatedly promised that CAS5 and Tales of India &
> Irony would ship together to all subscribers.
> Guess they lied, huh?

It appears that you have never heard the adage "Never attribute to malice that which can be equally attributed to error."
And the reason why TII hasn't shipped is because NSB is negotiating with the CAS Estate to expand it and to print enough copies to satisfy the demand. Oh--and it will now be hardcover, so subscribers will now receive at no charge a 6th HC uniform with the other five, rather than a trade paperback. Oh, and everyone who couldn't get on board in time can now get one without hitting up Ron or me. (I imagine that some subscriber will not complain that this isn't as "collectible" as an ultra-limited subscriber's premium: well, Ron and I live close enough to SF that we've offered to drive down and autograph all subscriber copies. Still, some people would complain if they were being hanged with a new rope.)

You owe NSB an apology--to lie is to deceive, and there is no deceit here. Their goal continues to be to put out the best product that they can. They are far from perfect, but they are good people who are trying to correct their failings toward their authors and customers.

Scott

Date: 13 November, 2010 11:53PM
Scott Connors Wrote:
> > And the reason why TII hasn't shipped is because
> NSB is negotiating with the CAS Estate to expand
> it and to print enough copies to satisfy the
> demand. Oh--and it will now be hardcover, so
> subscribers will now receive at no charge a 6th HC
> uniform with the other five, rather than a trade
> paperback. Oh, and everyone who couldn't get on
> board in time can now get one without hitting up
> Ron or me.

Good to hear!

Posted by: cw67q (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2010 03:51AM
That is good news Scott, I think printing a larger print run for open sale makes good sense here.

- chris

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2010 04:04AM
What Geoffrey said! :D

Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2010 08:23AM
Scott Connors wrote:

Quote:
Still, some people would complain if they were being hanged with a new rope.

Remember, "never attribute to malice that which can be equally attributed to error." ;-)

In all seriousness, though, that's very good news about the bonus volume, and I, for one, am happy to apologize to all concerned if I have misattributed malice to Night Shade Books, in this instance. Thanks for your efforts, and for the update.

Date: 14 November, 2010 10:50AM
It appears that you have never heard the adage, "Perdito Street Station will be bigger and better than originally planned. Trust me," etc. Oh, and how about, "CAS5 is set in stone," etc. 2007. 2008. 2009. January 2010. March, September, November. Oh, and how about, "Tales of I&I is complete and will ship with CAS5," etc. Lies, or just a catalogue of incompetent cock-ups? Which of those would actually be better? Oh, and some people WOULD definitely complain if they were being hanged with a new rope, especially the innocent. ("Stop complaining, arsehole, we don't care if you did it or not. Look at this lovely new rope.") Oh, and when can we expect this splendid matching volume? Will this, like its predecessors, march repeatedly into the distance until finally meeting the fate of PSS? Oh, I forgot, you're not prepared to discuss it in an open forum.
I owe NSB what? Don't make me laugh. What arrogant pomposity. You owe me, and hundreds of other customers, and have done for five and a half years. Oh, and how about those surplus copies you intend squirreling away for the retirement fund? Is the taxman aware of this private arrangement?
YOU owe ME an apology, Scotty old boy, or do you intend to fulfill NSB's earlier threat to their customers ("Anybody who complains will go straight to the bottom of the delivery tray. We mean it")?
If you don't like what I say then the remedy is in your own hands: post me what you owe me PDQ. When I get what's mine you'll never hear from me again. That of course includes never spending another cent with NSB regardless of whatever promises and inducements they may think up. Tell me, whatever happened to the good old American adage of service with a smile? Have a nice day, now.

Date: 14 November, 2010 02:17PM
Assholebanipal:

Goetz von Berlichingen!

Yr Obt Servt,
S.

Date: 14 November, 2010 02:22PM
Absquatch Wrote:
> Scott Connors wrote:
>
> Still, some people would complain if they were
> being hanged with a new rope.
>
> Remember, "never attribute to malice that which
> can be equally attributed to error." ;-)
>
> In all seriousness, though, that's very good news
> about the bonus volume, and I, for one, am happy
> to apologize to all concerned if I have
> misattributed malice to Night Shade Books, in this
> instance. Thanks for your efforts, and for the
> update.

You are very welcome. I hope that you enjoy the books.

Scott

Posted by: The English Assassin (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2010 08:08PM
Scott Connors Wrote:
> Oh, and everyone who couldn't get on
> board in time can now get one without hitting up
> Ron or me. (I imagine that some subscriber will
> not complain that this isn't as "collectible" as
> an ultra-limited subscriber's premium: well, Ron
> and I live close enough to SF that we've offered
> to drive down and autograph all subscriber copies.
> Still, some people would complain if they were
> being hanged with a new rope.)

That's great news, Scott. Can't wait! :)

Posted by: Dunwichsouth (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2010 08:35AM
I have personally purchased hundreds of books from small presses, and been left hanging by dozens of deadlines...

It is not the small presses fault if I choose to get upset and mad that they missed their deadline again...
They will always miss them, never make them, not come close to them, be years behind if not decades, and once in a while hit it right on the nose and come out on right on time.

After years and years of dealing with small presses, if I put any expectations on them after my own personal experience, I am a fool (this is only referring to me). Or to quote myself from Alt.Horror.Cthulhu"

"> but the lot of small presses is financially precarious.

Hence' tis why we should celebrate each new edition that does get
published, instead of bemoaning the twenty that didn't. Each new
volume is a rare and fleeting moment time."

Thanks and love

Posted by: Eldritch Frog (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2010 09:49AM
Very interesting that this bonus is becoming a hardcover with matching artwork! Hard to believe anyone would complain about that!

What will be hilarious, is when people start complaining when Nightshade reprints the CAS volumes like they did with William Hope Hodgeson. Why anyone would complain that something is available to more people for the same price is beyond me. It is downright selfish.

Date: 15 November, 2010 10:13AM
I remember that whole conversation... And LOVED the response that Night Shade gave when the collectors complained that the value of their "Stock" would depreciate. If I can paraphrase, Night Shade believed "Their books were actually meant to be read, and not just collected by people that could afford them."

There was quite a small uproar when they reprinted Vol.1 before vol.5 was even printed! Personally I thought that was very very very very very cool, and well deserved of a fantastic author... But I can imagine the anger of the person that bought the extra copies to EBay the lowly masses with...

Eldritch Frog Wrote:
>
> What will be hilarious, is when people start
> complaining when Nightshade reprints the CAS
> volumes like they did with William Hope Hodgeson.
> Why anyone would complain that something is
> available to more people for the same price is
> beyond me. It is downright selfish.

Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2010 10:34AM
Dunwichsouth Wrote:
> Night Shade believed "Their books were actually
> meant to be read

Really? The typography would suggest otherwise, but I suppose we must take them at their word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15 Nov 10 | 10:35AM by Jojo Lapin X.

Date: 15 November, 2010 12:15PM
I have no problem with it, except in one of the books where one word is printed on top of another word.

Date: 15 November, 2010 12:39PM
Martinus Wrote:
> I have no problem with it, except in one of the
> books where one word is printed on top of another
> word.

I am not sure how that is even possible, given current word-processing technology. It does show some effort.

But as I have pointed out before, there is an even more basic problem with the Hodgson books: They are very likely poisonous, due to the silvery stuff that comes off of the covers, and will kill you if you handle them carelessly.

Posted by: Tantalus (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2010 02:00AM
Dunwichsouth Wrote:
> There was quite a small uproar when they reprinted
> Vol.1 before vol.5 was even printed! Personally I
> thought that was very very very very very cool,
> and well deserved of a fantastic author... But I
> can imagine the anger of the person that bought
> the extra copies to EBay the lowly masses with...

I didn't know they had reprinted Vol. 1 already. Personally I think that's great news.

The worst thing that can happen is for the writings of CAS to be locked into expensive limited edition sets. I would like to see this scholarly accurate set made into a quality, but affordable, paperback edition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16 Nov 10 | 02:07AM by Tantalus.

Date: 16 November, 2010 04:58AM
I hope so as well. There may be a "best of" selection issued as a trade paperback to test the waters.

Scott

Date: 16 November, 2010 03:17PM
Oh, Assholebanipal is it? At last you hoist your true colours, Connors old fruit. Personally I don't care how many people buy how many reprints or how much they're worth: I just want mine. Insulting your paying customers on the web, eh, sonny? I think the Office of Consumer Protection might be interested in that. Keep digging that hole, sonny - when it's deep enough it might serve a useful purpose.

Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2010 10:22AM
My copy arrived yesterday. Thanks, Scott, Ron, Martin, and everyone else involved. Looking forward to the bonus volume. Have contents and delivery date been confirmed?

Date: 17 November, 2010 12:40PM
Hello again, Connors old fruit
Haven't read my Goethe for a long time, but your reference to Gotz von Berlichingen finally brought to mind his witty and amusing riposte to the Bishop of Bamburg: "Er aber, sags ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken," or, colloquially, "You can lick my arse." Is this what you meant to convey while simultaneously attempting to evoke an aura of erudition? Shame on you if it was, thou sterquilinous knave. Hast thou forgot that NSB is on probation with the SFWA, and dost thou think that such a coded message is a proper response to a paying customer who wants to know where his book is? It's a shame to waste space on this forum trading insults when we should be discussing the merits or otherwise of NSB, but any war you care to start I will gladly finish. Don't know if you've caught my posting on Genreville. Next stop, SFWA. Oh, and you spelt Gotz wrong.

Date: 17 November, 2010 02:04PM
asshurbanipal Wrote:
Oh, and you spelt Gotz wrong.

"Oe" is how the "ö" of German is usually rendered in English. There is a vast difference in pronunciation between "ö" and "o".

Date: 17 November, 2010 04:31PM
Martin is correct, and this has been standard for so long that you very rarely see Johann Wolfgang von Goethe rendered as Johann Wolfgang von Göthe anymore, even in Germany, though the pronunciation of the oe is the same as an umlauted o. I have never heard anyone pronounce it GOATH or GOA-thee, but as either GEH-tuh or GAIR-tuh

Jim

Posted by: PaulK (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2010 05:07PM
And my copy turned up in England today.

Date: 17 November, 2010 07:21PM
Amazon has shipped my copy, and it is expected to arrive on Friday. :)

Date: 17 November, 2010 10:56PM
asshurbanipal Wrote:
> Hello again, Connors old fruit
> Haven't read my Goethe for a long time, but your
> reference to Gotz von Berlichingen finally brought
> to mind his witty and amusing riposte to the
> Bishop of Bamburg: "Er aber, sags ihm, er kann
> mich im Arsche lecken," or, colloquially, "You can
> lick my arse." Is this what you meant to convey
> while simultaneously attempting to evoke an aura
> of erudition? Shame on you if it was, thou
> sterquilinous knave. Hast thou forgot that NSB is
> on probation with the SFWA, and dost thou think
> that such a coded message is a proper response to
> a paying customer who wants to know where his book
> is? It's a shame to waste space on this forum
> trading insults when we should be discussing the
> merits or otherwise of NSB, but any war you care
> to start I will gladly finish. Don't know if
> you've caught my posting on Genreville. Next stop,
> SFWA. Oh, and you spelt Gotz wrong.

Chillax, man. Scott's post really doesn't deserve your itense reaction to it and him personally. I'm sure you have every right to be peeved at NSB, but Scott has already told us that the situation is much better than expected, so what's your problem? My only problem is I see no hint of Scott's news on NSB's site... they definitely need to improve their PR skills if they son't wish to alienate every potential reader.

Date: 18 November, 2010 02:06AM
The English Assassin Wrote:
> asshurbanipal Wrote: Nothing of any importance.
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >[snippage]
>
>
> Chillax, man. Scott's post really doesn't deserve
> your itense reaction to it and him personally. I'm
> sure you have every right to be peeved at NSB, but
> Scott has already told us that the situation is
> much better than expected, so what's your problem?
> My only problem is I see no hint of Scott's news
> on NSB's site... they definitely need to improve
> their PR skills if they son't wish to alienate
> every potential reader.

The reason why nothing about the 6th volume has shown up on NSB's website is that permission is still pending. There are matters that I cannot discuss on an open forum because they involve confidences from the principals in this matter. The good news is that Ron and I will only have to work on the new material.

I appreciate your post, but don't waste your time giving attention to an insignificant troll. He's peeved because he chooses to be, and he enjoys making a fool out of himself. I'm not even bothering to read any of his posts. After all, what has Assholebanipal accomplished outside of spewing bile and venom? He is not worth my time, or that of any other reader of this site. He should buy a tube of Preparation H and use it to disappear.

Best wishes,
Scott

Date: 18 November, 2010 11:13AM
Hello Scrote Connors
And goodbye
Hello English Assassin
You're right. I'm letting this strongoloid get under my skin. Where's my chill pill? Guess I'll leave it to the SFWA. And what the hell is Preparation H? Is it any good for PR? Actually, trolls aren't all that bad. They're quite fun in Shetland folklore, although Shetlanders do call persistent drizzle trolly wadder (troll weather). Has a lovely sound to it. I'm already chilled. Merry Christmas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18 Nov 10 | 11:15AM by asshurbanipal.

Date: 18 November, 2010 01:41PM
Hello jimrockhill 2001
You are, of course, right about the umlaut, but I didn't have one, and you can't make an umlaut without breaking eggs.

Posted by: DBG (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2010 04:22AM
Mine arrived safely yesterday here in Sydney Australia.

It has been a bit of a wait but thank you for getting the completed collection out.

Date: 19 November, 2010 05:59AM
We have received it here at headquarters. I confidently predict that certain people in the wacky world of Robert E Howard fandom will have a fit when they read Richard Lupoff's introduction.

Date: 19 November, 2010 06:05AM
asshurbanipal Wrote:
> Hello jimrockhill 2001
> You are, of course, right about the umlaut, but I
> didn't have one, and you can't make an umlaut
> without breaking eggs.

ALT + 0246 = ö

Date: 19 November, 2010 06:15AM
I have no doubt about that whatsoever, and by this time one would think they could just let the matter rest. There is a point at which these continual leaps to Howard's defense cease doing Howard any good and merely suggest to the world that this is an author who must always be treated with kid gloves, a notion Howard himself would most likely have found ridiculous.

Date: 19 November, 2010 07:20AM
Hello jimrockhill2001
Many thanks for the umlaut tip. You're right about Two-Gun Bob - he would have preferred boxing gloves. Merry Christmas when we get there.

Date: 19 November, 2010 08:30PM
I just received my copy from amazon. I live in Pueblo, Colorado.

Date: 20 November, 2010 03:47AM
It arrived in Göteborg, Sweden yesterday. :)

Date: 20 November, 2010 02:09PM
Jojo Lapin X Wrote:
> We have received it here at headquarters. I
> confidently predict that certain people in the
> wacky world of Robert E Howard fandom will have a
> fit when they read Richard Lupoff's introduction.

You should have seen the original version!

Scott

Date: 23 November, 2010 10:49AM
Just wanted to let the world know that Amazon just delivered my copy of "The Last Hieroglyph" (Because I know the world, and the universe at large, really cares) here in Maryland! I was thoroughly enjoying reading the new Lovecraft expanded Bio, but will put it aside to jump into some long (LONG!) awaited, and never read CAS. I could have read the online versions, but CAS deserves to be read in hardback - To read him any other way (for me) would have been a disservice.

Date: 23 November, 2010 12:12PM
Trust me, Dunwichsouth, you have NEVER read this "Mother of Toads"... ;)

Date: 23 November, 2010 03:21PM
Martinus Wrote:
> Trust me, Dunwichsouth, you have NEVER read this
> "Mother of Toads"... ;)

Not necessarily true. Our version is very close to that used in the Unexpurgated CAS that Steve Behrends edited (we differ in the choice of a few words in the portions that were not cut by Smith to ensure sale to WT). Although this Necronomicon Press series is out of print, Scott Allie used this version in The Dark Horse Book of Witchcraft.

Scott

Date: 23 November, 2010 04:17PM
CAS5 has arrived in deepest Surrey, and, as expected, is simply great. I've never found fault with Night Shade Books' products, just their absured production schedules. So I'll say it again - great. Super. Many thanks. And it contains two of my favourite Smith stories - The Last Hieroglyph & The Treader of the Dust. Now that the tooth is out please would the dentist accept my apologies. And can we have some anaesthetic for Tales of India & Irony?

Date: 23 November, 2010 06:42PM
asshurbanipal Wrote:
> CAS5 has arrived in deepest Surrey, and, as
> expected, is simply great. I've never found fault
> with Night Shade Books' products, just their
> absured production schedules. So I'll say it again
> - great. Super. Many thanks. And it contains two
> of my favourite Smith stories - The Last
> Hieroglyph & The Treader of the Dust. Now that the
> tooth is out please would the dentist accept my
> apologies. And can we have some anaesthetic for
> Tales of India & Irony?

Those are two of my favorite Smith stories as well, so I commend you upon your good taste. I'm happy that you like the book. I hope that Ron and I can get the 6th book turned in by Christmas.

I think that this volume should be the best so far as typos are concerned (at least for the story texts). Martin Anderrson lent us his sharp eye as a proofreader, and I think that we managed to catch all but a handful of obvious mistakes.

Scott

Date: 23 November, 2010 07:46PM
I am almost completely ignorant of Tales of India & Irony. Please enlighten. :)

Date: 24 November, 2010 03:21AM
Just read the rest of this thread and your questions will be answered.

Scott

Date: 24 November, 2010 10:29AM
Scott, I've already read the entire thread. What I do not know is:

What are the contents of Tales of India & Ivory? Some sort of CAS tales, I assume. But which ones? How are these tales distinct from those published in volumes 1-5? Will it be a slender little volume, or will its page count approximate the page counts of the previous 5 volumes?

Thanks!

Date: 24 November, 2010 11:34AM
Quoting another thread:

Quote:
Tales of India and Irony contents:
Introduction by Scott Connors and Ron Hilger
The Animated Sword (unpublished)
The Malay Crise
The Ghost of Mohammed Din
The Mahout
The Rajah and the Tiger
Something New
The Flirt
The Perfect Woman
A Platonic Entanglement
The Expert Lover
The Parrot
A Copy of Burns
Checkmate
"O Amor Atque Realitas! Clark Ashton Smith's First Adult Fiction" by Donald Sidney-Fryer

Date: 24 November, 2010 03:35PM
Geoffrey Wrote:
> Scott, I've already read the entire thread. What I
> do not know is:
>
> What are the contents of Tales of India & Ivory?
> Some sort of CAS tales, I assume. But which ones?
> How are these tales distinct from those published
> in volumes 1-5? Will it be a slender little
> volume, or will its page count approximate the
> page counts of the previous 5 volumes?
>
> Thanks!

It will be slimmer than the others. TII was originally to be issued as a "bonus" trade paperback given free to people who subscribed (advance ordered) the CAS set from Night Shade Books. (We set these stories apart because they are mostly non-fantastic or juvenalia, and are thus of lesser interest.) So many people have expressed an interest that we're expanding it to include "The Infernal Star," Smith's uncompleted WT serial; "The Dead Will Cuckold You," a play in blank verse set in Zothique; and two stories that CAS gave to E. Hoffmann Price, who rewrote them and published them under his name in SPICY MYSTERY STORIES (but he gave CAS 60% of the proceeds, and CAS asserted authorship, so we're including them). We also hope to include Don Fryer's biographical essay "The Sorcerer Departs." It will also be a hardcover uniform with (but not part of) the Collected Fantasies. Subscribers will still receive it without charge, and Ron and I are willing to drive to SF to sign their copies as well.

Hope that this helps. We're waiting for the Smith Estate to get back from the holidays for the approval.

Scott

Date: 24 November, 2010 04:36PM
Martinus and Scott, thank you very much. :)

Date: 24 November, 2010 04:37PM
Hi Scott
Many thanks. Peace and love.

Posted by: MarciKiser (IP Logged)
Date: 25 November, 2010 11:32AM
It's a shame you can't include the slim volume of CAS essays from 'Planets and Dimensions'. While some of it is culled from letter columns long since gone, missives like 'Fantasy and Human Experience' and 'Horror, Fantasy, and Science' give us terrific insight into the man's thoughts on story, craft, and why he wrote what he did the way he did.

Date: 25 November, 2010 12:43PM
Also, all his letters, please.

Date: 25 November, 2010 02:48PM
MarciKiser Wrote:
> It's a shame you can't include the slim volume of
> CAS essays from 'Planets and Dimensions'. While
> some of it is culled from letter columns long
> since gone, missives like 'Fantasy and Human
> Experience' and 'Horror, Fantasy, and Science'
> give us terrific insight into the man's thoughts
> on story, craft, and why he wrote what he did the
> way he did.

:) We're working on this. Will discuss once things are finalized.

Scott

Date: 25 November, 2010 02:53PM
Jojo Lapin X Wrote:
> Also, all his letters, please.

Most of CAS' letters are replies to people asking about copies of his books or the availability of carvings. There's a lot of repetition. Besides the Arkham SELECTED LETTERS, which contains the absolute cream of his letters, Joshi and Schultz have published the correspondence with George Sterling, and are preparing the correspondences with Lovecraft and Samuel Loveman. I think that Schultz has also prepared the letters to and from R. H. Barlow as well.

Scott

Posted by: cathexis (IP Logged)
Date: 25 November, 2010 05:24PM
Got my copy of CAS5 on tuesday. My selfish indulgence was to have it
sent overnight-delivery from an order placed on monday - the advertised
first day of sales on Amazon.com.

I am very happy to recieve it and it appears to be just as expected.
I thank Mr. Conners and Night-Shade Books for their many efforts to
bring this volume to fruition. I am aware that there have been or will
be many criticisms of both the text as well as the principles involved
in publishing it. Me, I will be busy reading and much of that material
will be new to me. I have deliberately *not* read some of the stories
previously so that I might get into the entire corpus rather than chasing
stories willy-nilly over the last couple years - as some here have done
before the five volumes now out were available. I hope they are satisfied
with Night-Shade products. I know I am.

Thx.!

Cathexis

Date: 26 November, 2010 07:42PM
asshurbanipal Wrote:
> Hi Scott
> Many thanks. Peace and love.

Same to you. Merry Christmas.

Scott

Posted by: Eldritch Frog (IP Logged)
Date: 29 November, 2010 11:18AM
Got volume 5 as well! Thanks to Scott and the Nightshade Crew!

Date: 1 December, 2010 11:06PM
Jojo Lapin X Wrote:
> We have received it here at headquarters. I
> confidently predict that certain people in the
> wacky world of Robert E Howard fandom will have a
> fit when they read Richard Lupoff's introduction.

It's a little late for me to mention this, but I am a member of the "wacky world of Robert E. Howard." I've contributed two articles about him to critical anthologies, am a member of the Robert E. Howard United Press Association, and have been asked to serve on the editorial board of The Dark Man. I'm on several REH forums, and the only one where Dick's introduction was discussed was on the REH Forum at Conan.com. Somebody picked up your comment. When Dick's remarks were printed there, the response was "... That's it? That's what we're supposed to have a fit about? This is just shoddy researching and opinionating [sic], not MVO-level mythologizing. The way the ED folk were talking you'd think they were talking about 'Superman on a Psychotic Bender'." (He refers to a hostile NY Times review of SKULL-FACE AND OTHERS, showing that the 'Gray Lady' was full of crap at least as far back as the 1940s.)
Experts and scholars like Don Herron, Mark Finn, Rusty Burke, and others have found that the only way to combat the widespread misinformation out there about REH is to confront it aggressively and put out the facts as opposed to the legend, THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE not withstanding. Lovecraftians had to do the same thing for many years. CAS lived long enough to have escaped much of the pernicious mythology surrounding his comrades. I'm sorry if you think that this is "wacky."

BTW, ED readers might find my essay for Darrell Schweitzer's ROBERT E. HOWARD READER of interest. It is "WEIRD TALES and the Great Depression," and it examines the finances of the "Unique Magazine" in the early to mid-1930s, using editor Farnsworth Wright's letters to CAS and Derleth to determine just how far behind in paying its writers WT fell after the 1933 bank holiday. It's published by Borgo Press (and has a truly wretched cover!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 1 Dec 10 | 11:08PM by Scott Connors.

Date: 2 December, 2010 12:50AM
This is good to know, Scott, but I was not referring to Howard scholars like Herron, Burke, Finn, Louinet, Coffman, et al.; and I doubt Jojo was doing so. I recall others like the gentleman who threatened James Van Hise that he would hunt him down and beat him the next time he was in Texas over some slight he believed Van Hise had committed to either Howard's memory or the Howard community; or those who took exception to some of the scripting in a recent Howard comic adaptation and, again, were threatening to find the artist in question and slap some sense into him; or the response in some quarters to one line in Arnie Fenner's introduction to AND THEIR MEMORY WAS A BITTER TREE; etc., etc. Scholars keeping the record straight is one thing, but some of the arrested adolescents who flock around them, beating their breasts and carrying on as if they must seek bloody vengeance over every deviation from the accepted "script" is another.

Date: 2 December, 2010 12:22PM
Scott Connors Wrote:
> I'm on several REH forums, and the only one
> where Dick's introduction was discussed was on the
> REH Forum at Conan.com. Somebody picked up your
> comment. When Dick's remarks were printed there,
> the response was "... That's it? That's what we're
> supposed to have a fit about? This is just shoddy
> researching and opinionating , not MVO-level
> mythologizing. The way the ED folk were talking
> you'd think they were talking about 'Superman on a
> Psychotic Bender'." (He refers to a hostile NY
> Times review of SKULL-FACE AND OTHERS, showing
> that the 'Gray Lady' was full of crap at least as
> far back as the 1940s.)

But then there was the _other_ thread (in the same forum) on Lupoff on REH, where (among other things) one poster said that he would buy the latest CAS volume second-hand in order not to put money in Night Shade's pocket, because of Lupoff's description of Howard. And that's just plain silly, as Jojo and Jim conclude (if I'm reading you right, guys).

> Experts and scholars like Don Herron, Mark
> Finn, Rusty Burke, and others have found that the
> only way to combat the widespread misinformation
> out there about REH is to confront it aggressively
> and put out the facts as opposed to the legend,
> THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE not withstanding.
> Lovecraftians had to do the same thing for many
> years. CAS lived long enough to have escaped much
> of the pernicious mythology surrounding his
> comrades. I'm sorry if you think that this is
> "wacky."

Nah, that's the intelligent, grown-up part of REH fandom. And there seem to be more of those people around today, thank Crom.

> BTW, ED readers might find my essay for Darrell
> Schweitzer's ROBERT E. HOWARD READER of interest.
> It is "WEIRD TALES and the Great Depression," and
> it examines the finances of the "Unique Magazine"
> in the early to mid-1930s, using editor Farnsworth
> Wright's letters to CAS and Derleth to determine
> just how far behind in paying its writers WT fell
> after the 1933 bank holiday. It's published by
> Borgo Press (and has a truly wretched cover!)

Yes, awful cover for a nice book!

Posted by: australianreaderdotcom (IP Logged)
Date: 2 December, 2010 03:05PM
Personally, such reactions of affront have disinclined me towards serious work on Howard (and others) in the past. That and the collector mentality, since what is needed for Howard and others are, precisely, affordable and accessible editions with authoratative texts, with a de-emphasising of the invidiousness of the collector mentality.

I am sure I am not the only one, here and elsewhere, who would love to see CAS et al. enjoyed by a far wider readership.

Blog: The Cruellest Month -- [the-cruellest-month.blogspot.com.au]

Date: 3 December, 2010 03:21PM
australianreaderdotcom Wrote:
> Personally, such reactions of affront have
> disinclined me towards serious work on Howard (and
> others) in the past. That and the collector
> mentality, since what is needed for Howard and
> others are, precisely, affordable and accessible
> editions with authoratative texts, with a
> de-emphasising of the invidiousness of the
> collector mentality.
>
> I am sure I am not the only one, here and
> elsewhere, who would love to see CAS et al.
> enjoyed by a far wider readership.

Rusty Burke and Patrice Louinet have edited several authoritative volumes of Howard's work (including all of the Conan stories, plus Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn, Kull, and the horror stories) for Del Rey Books that are exactly what you have asked for (well, they're trade paperbacks, but that just makes them more accessible). THE DARK MAN is a scholarly journal devoted to REH that eschews the fanboy venom. There are fools, idiots and morons running loose in Howard fandom, but we've got those in Lovecraft fandom as well. If CAS is mercifully (relatively) free of their ilk, that's due, I fear, to his relative obscurity as compared to his compadres; once he becomes better known, I expect the flame-breathing trolls will spring up like dragon's teeth.

Should I mention that both Ron and I have substantial CAS collections? : )

Scott

Scott

Posted by: australianreaderdotcom (IP Logged)
Date: 3 December, 2010 03:33PM
Dear Scott,

I've just had a look, following your note, and shall be availing myself of the Del Rey volumes, and I am aware of your work with the CAS volumes. Thank you.

I have yet to peruse a copy of The Dark Man, and hope to do so shortly.

I would like your feedback on something I'm working on re: CAS; do you have my Gmail address, or my old yahoo one from when we were corresponding?

Blog: The Cruellest Month -- [the-cruellest-month.blogspot.com.au]

Posted by: jelio (IP Logged)
Date: 24 December, 2010 12:58PM
Regarding the fiction of CAS if i wanted to have all of his fiction,

I would have to buy the 5 fantasies volumes
and the Tales of India and Irony

Then i would still have to get The Black Diamonds from hippocampus press
plus the The Sword Of Zagan And Other Writings from hippocampus press

Are there other fiction writings by him that are not included here?

I know he has a book of letters and also lots of poetry.

JELIO

Date: 24 December, 2010 02:40PM
jelio Wrote:
>
> Are there other fiction writings by him that are
> not included here?
>

The prose poems.

Date: 15 January, 2011 05:47PM
Hold on, what's this I see? :)

Posted by: Ken K. (IP Logged)
Date: 15 January, 2011 09:20PM
Wonderful news. I hope the book will have a better, less generic title when it is actually released. The Infernal Star and Other Lacunae? Okay, that's terrible, but you get the idea.

Date: 16 January, 2011 07:35AM
Night Shade now has a page for the volume of miscellany: [nightshadebooks.com]

Date: 16 January, 2011 08:05AM
Very much looking forward to this!

Jim

Posted by: cathexis (IP Logged)
Date: 16 January, 2011 08:25AM
WTG, Scott!

Hope to come out soon,

Cathexis

Posted by: Noivilbo (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2011 03:35AM
I've finally read the 5th CAS volume. I give great thanks to the editors of the series. Every volume is absolutely remarkable, a true treasure.

Noivilbo

Posted by: Some call me Tim (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2011 10:33PM
Hey everyone... I'm new here and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who put these great volumes together and also ask a question while I'm here.

I was able to buy the CAS volume 2-5 from Night Shade not all that long ago, but unfortunately volume one seems to be out of print. I emailed them to inquire as to a possible second printing as some point but didn't receive a response.

My question is, does anyone know a place where I can still get a copy of volume one without it costing me $100? I'd really like to finish (at the beginning?) reading this series, it is superbly well done, but I don't have an arm and a leg extra to pay for a copy either.

Any advice is appreciated! Happy reading :)

Date: 24 January, 2011 07:47AM
I had no idea it was worth sooooo much! However I have to wonder if anybody actually manages to sell them at these prices... Anyway, I'd suggest using bookfinder.com - if they can't find it cheap then... well... you're in trouble!

Date: 24 January, 2011 12:54PM
Yeah, they don't. People have unrealistically high expectations for books that happen to have recently gone out of print. This $100+ price tag might be realistic if it were a limited edition of some kind or the book won multiple awards (look at the prices for Night Shades hardcover of The Windup Girl for example) but this is just unrealistic.

Bookfinder, AddAll, and other places I have checked... though thanks for the tip. But these search engines do not always catch everything. They don't index some specialty genre stores (like Camelot Books) so I was hoping that maybe someone might have an idea. Any would be appreciated!

If anyone has a second copy they'd be willing to sell, I'd pay more than retail for it. But not that much more!

Thanks again!
Best,
~t

Posted by: MorganPlus8 (IP Logged)
Date: 3 March, 2011 01:13PM
Some call me Tim Wrote:
> ...I was hoping that maybe someone
> might have an idea. Any would be appreciated!
>
> If anyone has a second copy they'd be willing to
> sell, I'd pay more than retail for it. But not
> that much more!

Did you manage to get anywhere with this?

I am in the same boat. I'd be fine to pay $100 for 'The End of the Story' but the prices I've managed yet to find. Same with Vol 3 and 4 of the Hodgson set.

I am continuing to hunt. I'll post back if I find anything useful.

Cheers,
Andrew

Date: 5 March, 2011 03:17PM
Patience, guys. THE END OF THE STORY will be reprinted sometime in the near future.

As for THE DOOR TO SATURN, I have a few copies left that are signed by Ron and me. Email me if interested. (I also have copies of THE LAST HIEROGLYPH signed by both editors and Dick Lupoff, who wrote the intro.)

BTW, LOCUS has a very nice review of THE LAST HIEROGLYPH in the Feb issue, by Dick.

Scott

Date: 14 April, 2011 11:58PM
Aw, crap. I missed the notice Scott posted and just payed $60 for a second printing of THE END OF THE STORY. Oh, well, I guess it's only $20 above retail. And I did only pay $20 for each of the subsequent volumes via Night Shades yearly sale... $140 for the set is not terrible, I guess, even if one isn't a first.

Found it on eBay last week. In the weeks since I posted my initial query it was the only copy to be listed and the seller graciously took an offer of double the initial asking price to close the auction and sell it to me directly.

Cheers,
~Tim

Posted by: BeneathTheEarth (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2011 11:29PM
Scott Connors Wrote:
> Patience, guys. THE END OF THE STORY will be
> reprinted sometime in the near future.
>
> As for THE DOOR TO SATURN, I have a few copies
> left that are signed by Ron and me. Email me if
> interested. (I also have copies of THE LAST
> HIEROGLYPH signed by both editors and Dick Lupoff,
> who wrote the intro.)
>
> BTW, LOCUS has a very nice review of THE LAST
> HIEROGLYPH in the Feb issue, by Dick.
>
> Scott

Any word on when this reprint may be available? The first volume is the only one that I am missing and I am waiting to own a copy of it before I read the other volumes.

Posted by: Avoosl Wuthoqquan (IP Logged)
Date: 16 June, 2011 01:17PM
Pace Scott, as much as I would like to believe that this reprint is indeed around the corner (I hate the idea that the copy I own is basically irreplaceable), my advice to you would be to start reading.

Night Shade Books have a ghastly track record when it comes to deadlines. A lengthy, amusing and instructive tale of woe may be perused here: [nightshadebooks.com]

Date: 16 June, 2011 08:43PM
eek.

Well, one would think that a reprint should not take as long as they already have all the materials and all the work is completed. Just tell the book manufacturer to print up some more copies? Of course I am sure it is not that simple and I have no knowledge of the business. I hope that the demand is there. I would hate if my set was doomed to never be completed.

Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2011 03:03PM
How I LOVE LOVE LOVE these Night Shade Books editions of CAS! I have two more stories to complete with this book I am writing with Jeffrey Thomas, and then I begin work with Maryanne K. Snyder on an entire book inspir'd by the poetry & prose of CAS. I ache to begin work on this book. I've penned one wee vignette thus far, & then I try'd to come up with an idea for a CASian sf tale set on some strange planet--but the interplanetary thing eludes me and doesn't really excite me as an artist. But the preparation for the writing of this book (we already have a couple publishers who have express'd interest in it) is wonderful, diving into those NSB editions and the three gorgeous editions of poetry from Hippocampus. The trick of writing such a book, for me, is to write fiction that sounds as if it is inspir'd by CAS and not HPL. I am not certain that I can pull it off but I sure as hell is gonna try.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Date: 18 August, 2011 02:27AM
I'd still like an ETA on the reprint if you are out there Mr. Connors. Any word yet?

Date: 10 October, 2011 01:14AM
I have a new video interview, by S. T. Joshi, with Scott Connors on my MrWilum channel at YouTube. Scott and S. T. dropped by this evening, and Scott has lots of news of forthcoming CAS projects.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Date: 12 October, 2011 05:24PM
BeneathTheEarth Wrote:
> I'd still like an ETA on the reprint if you are
> out there Mr. Connors. Any word yet?

I regret to report that the current economic situation makes it unlikely that there will be any reprints until late 2012 or early 2013.

Scott

Posted by: Avoosl Wuthoqquan (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2011 10:04AM
Sheesh, if I had known this in advance, I would have ordered six copies way back in '05. I'd be sitting on $3,000 now!

It's sad that this series ended up becoming so hard to complete unless you were with it from the start. CAS deserves a bigger audience and affordable editions of his work go a long way towards that, no doubt. But alas, a few years after its publication The End of the Story has already become a rare and costly tome of almost legendary status. Fitting perhaps, but also disappointing.

I don't suppose republication as an e-book would be an option?

(I know that for the full CAS experience only vellum will do, of course, but beggars can't be choosers...)

Posted by: K_A_Opperman (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2011 01:20PM
I, too, wish we could see some more affordable (paperbacks), more easily acquired CAS tomes--I could never afford all those hardcover tomes, even if I could get my hands on them! If a complete paperback series of CAS went to print, I could at last own all of his stories...and so could many others to whom he was previously inaccessible. Smith deserves for his work to be more readily accessible! The man himself would never come near being able to afford the very books in which his work occurs! Is not there some horrible CASian irony there? Something must be done about this....

The silent majority has spoken!

(Although I appreciate fine collector's editions--but not when they're the only option! I know of no other way to collect all of Smith.)

Posted by: Radovarl (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2011 01:48PM
Avoosl Wuthoqquan Wrote:
> Sheesh, if I had known this in advance, I would
> have ordered six copies way back in '05. I'd be
> sitting on $3,000 now!

If I had known, I'd've held onto the two extra copies I had (and sold), and sell them now.

Date: 13 October, 2011 02:28PM
If I had known, I would not have taken mine into the bathtub with me!

Date: 13 October, 2011 05:42PM
Avoosl Wuthoqquan Wrote:
> Sheesh, if I had known this in advance, I would
> have ordered six copies way back in '05. I'd be
> sitting on $3,000 now!
>
> It's sad that this series ended up becoming so
> hard to complete unless you were with it from the
> start. CAS deserves a bigger audience and
> affordable editions of his work go a long way
> towards that, no doubt. But alas, a few years
> after its publication The End of the Story has
> already become a rare and costly tome of almost
> legendary status. Fitting perhaps, but also
> disappointing.
>
> I don't suppose republication as an e-book would
> be an option?
>
> (I know that for the full CAS experience only
> vellum will do, of course, but beggars can't be
> choosers...)

Well, I had a bunch of copies, but mostly gave them away to various friends and VIPs that I was trying to win over to advocacy of CAS. I really wish that I had a few copies left over.

I expect that there will eventually be ebook versions available from Night Shade, but there are a lot of irons in the fire. And the books will eventually be reprinted once the economy improves.

Date: 13 October, 2011 06:07PM
Here's hoping Night Shade rehabilitates itself to the SFWA's satisfaction; that can't be helping matters.

Date: 13 October, 2011 08:50PM
Radovarl Wrote:
> Here's hoping Night Shade rehabilitates itself to
> the SFWA's satisfaction; that can't be helping
> matters.

From [www.sfwa.org]

Report to members regarding Night Shade Books Probationary period

Dear Members,

Last year, the SFWA board of directors voted to place Night Shade Books on probation for a period of one year. Night Shade Books responded by agreeing to work with SFWA to address the issues that our members had with their business. During the past year, Night Shade Books has been cooperative and open with their communication to SFWA and the Board appreciates their efforts.

After a review of Night Shade Books and after requesting information from our members about the publisher’s activities during the period of probation, based on the information currently available, the board believes that Night Shade Books has met the following conditions for it to remain on the qualifying list after its probation period:

a. That it examined its catalogue to ensure it is no longer offering fiction in formats for which it has no rights, and makes whole those authors whose rights it has violated;

b. That it instituted procedures and hired sufficient staff to ensure accurate record keeping for contracts and payments, both for previously published and future authors;

c. That there are no instances of contractual violations on the part of Night Shade Books against authors signed to publishing deals after the start of the probationary period.

The remaining benchmark that the SFWA board of directors set for Night Shade Books requires more data to assess. The board asked that Night Shade Books fulfills its contractual and financial obligations to the authors it has already published, including full and accurate accounting of royalties per contract, with payment of any royalties outstanding.

The reports from our members indicate that Night Shade made great strides toward meeting that goal during the past year. However, through no fault of Night Shade Books, the initial probationary period ended before the publishing industry’s July royalty statements are due. This made it difficult to determine without doubt if Night Shade Books has met their commitments. The Board of Directors of SFWA discussed this with Night Shade and decided to grant the publisher an extension on their probationary period to give them time to send the July royalty statements.

The extension shall be until the statements have been sent to authors or for three months (October 8, 2011), whichever comes sooner. Until that time, Night Shade remains on probation.

After the term of probation for Night Shade is lifted, fiction contracted during that term will be viewed as acceptable for qualification for SFWA membership. As with the initial probationary period, no fiction contracted and paid for (by initial advance payment) before the term of probation will be affected by Night Shade’s probationary status.

During the probationary extension, and depending on member participation, SFWA will remain in contact with those members who have outstanding Night Shade contracts. If you have any questions, new information, or concerns, please contact me at vp@sfwa.org.

Through this entire process, Night Shade Books has been open and communicative with SFWA, responding swiftly to any concerns that were brought to their attention. We look forward to their continued cooperation and hope to see them restored to full qualifying status in the future.

Sincerely yours,

Mary Robinette Kowal
Vice President, Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America

"""""

I hope that this satisfies your concerns.

As for myself, I have had nothing but good experiences with NSB.

Scott

Date: 14 October, 2011 07:14AM
Yes, I read that on the SFWA website a month or so ago. I'm glad to hear you've never had any problems with them as a contributor, and it looks like they are on the right track. I guess we'll know soon, since the Oct. 8 date has just passed.. I myself (as a customer only) had a couple of terrible experiences with them (unprofessionally rude, curt replies to two polite queries), and haven't purchased anything from them since the first couple CAS volumes. But for the sake of the writers, editors, etc., for whom the SFWA approval potentially has fairly important implications, I do wish them the best.

Posted by: Douglas A. Anderson (IP Logged)
Date: 14 October, 2011 12:28PM
Scott Connors wrote:

> As for myself, I have had nothing but good experiences with NSB.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with Night Shade Books. They "hired"
me to fix volume 5 of their Hodgson series and supply six stories that they
didn't have (which held up publication for years). I did all the work and
they stiffed me on the payment. So while they are nice to Scott, that isn't
their behavior to everyone.

Doug A.

Date: 14 October, 2011 01:36PM
Can't say I'm too surprised. I guess you're not a SFWA member, but you still might be able to get NSB to pay you by threatening to mention this to Scalzi (or whoever is now President). I'd imagine they're highly motivated to redeem themselves, so they can start getting submissions, other than crap zombie lifestyle novels, from SF writers again. (For those not in the know, while NSB is on probation, nothing they publish qualifies an author for new membership status or for awards, though this would retroactively go away if they "pass").

Date: 16 October, 2011 04:31AM
The need for cheap paperback editions of Clark Ashton Smith's stories was met by Panther Books (GB) in the 1970s. They printed (and reprinted more than once)the volumes issued by Neville Spearman (GB) which were themselves reprints of the Arkham House titles. The Panther books were priced at 35 pence (then about 70 cents or so - I forget the exchange rate) and should now be a few dollars each - less if scruffy. Panther printed as many copies of the books as they could sell, so there is no rarity value attached to them. Good hunting.

Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 16 October, 2011 11:28AM
asshurbanipal Wrote:
> The need for cheap paperback editions of Clark
> Ashton Smith's stories was met by Panther Books
> (GB) in the 1970s. They printed (and reprinted
> more than once)the volumes issued by Neville
> Spearman (GB) which were themselves reprints of
> the Arkham House titles. The Panther books were
> priced at 35 pence (then about 70 cents or so - I
> forget the exchange rate) and should now be a few
> dollars each - less if scruffy. Panther printed as
> many copies of the books as they could sell, so
> there is no rarity value attached to them. Good
> hunting.

Looking at the Abebooks site, they begin (with Out of Space and Time, vol. 2; listed as vg with slight rubbing) at $7.34, but they quickly move into the $20 and over range.

Rather bizarrely, the last two items on the list are Other Dimensions vol. 1, described as: "has signs of wear, but remains fully functioning and easily readable", going for $136.34, and Other Dimensions II, listed as "good" and going for an astounding $433.33!

Even at Amazon, they show up beginning at a dollar or two, but then almost immediately jump to the $25 and over range, quickly going to $75 and over after that....

Date: 16 October, 2011 01:15PM
I have had perforce to go the cheaper route to collect Smith, but I do not think it is possible to collect all of his stories in this way.

I own "The Emperor of Dreams," Fantasy Masterworks (bought at about $20, though I've seen it cheaper since), "A Rendezvous in Averoigne," (at about $5 (!), and in v. good condition), "The Maker of Gargoyles," (5), and "Return of the Sorcerer," (10), which is a new paperback, very easily acquired, and a fine way to get introduced to Smith. I got mine--wait for it--in a Borders store! Best day of my life! So rest assured, Smith has an occasional and tenuous presence in mainstream bookstores.

I haven't done the count yet, accounting for overlap and all that, but I think I own about the top 3rd of Smith's best. It's getting increasingly difficult to acquire volumes whose cost versus new content is worth the purchase. Damn, I wish I had all of his stories.... But in reality, that is not possible for me--a diehard Smith fan! If ever a full paperback set of his work becomes available...that will be a great day--for Smith, and for countless of his monetarily challenged fans. Luckily, I am young--I might live to see this happen...maybe....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16 Oct 11 | 01:17PM by K_A_Opperman.

Posted by: OConnor,CD (IP Logged)
Date: 16 October, 2011 04:24PM
K_A_Opperman Wrote:
> I have had perforce to go the cheaper route to
> collect Smith, but I do not think it is possible
> to collect all of his stories in this way.
>
> I own "The Emperor of Dreams," Fantasy Masterworks
> (bought at about $20, though I've seen it cheaper
> since), "A Rendezvous in Averoigne," (at about $5
> (!), and in v. good condition), "The Maker of
> Gargoyles," (5), and "Return of the Sorcerer,"
> (10), which is a new paperback, very easily
> acquired, and a fine way to get introduced to
> Smith. I got mine--wait for it--in a Borders
> store! Best day of my life! So rest assured, Smith
> has an occasional and tenuous presence in
> mainstream bookstores.
>
> I haven't done the count yet, accounting for
> overlap and all that, but I think I own about the
> top 3rd of Smith's best. It's getting increasingly
> difficult to acquire volumes whose cost versus new
> content is worth the purchase. Damn, I wish I had
> all of his stories.... But in reality, that is not
> possible for me--a diehard Smith fan! If ever a
> full paperback set of his work becomes
> available...that will be a great day--for Smith,
> and for countless of his monetarily challenged
> fans. Luckily, I am young--I might live to see
> this happen...maybe....

I believe you will. If I may make a suggestion, please check eBay. You'd be surprised at the plethora of CAS stuff they have. Also check biblio.com. I just have one volume of CAS tales entitled "A Vintage of Atlantis". One day I too hope to own every single CAS tale. Ever since reading the "Vintage Of Atlantis" collection I've been hooked. And yes it is troublesome to the eyes to read CAS online. I prefer a book.

Date: 16 October, 2011 08:10PM
Quote:
OConner, CD
I believe you will. If I may make a suggestion, please check eBay. You'd be surprised at the plethora of CAS stuff they have. Also check biblio.com. I just have one volume of CAS tales entitled "A Vintage of Atlantis". One day I too hope to own every single CAS tale. Ever since reading the "Vintage Of Atlantis" collection I've been hooked. And yes it is troublesome to the eyes to read CAS online. I prefer a book.

Any of the volumes I mentioned--excepting "The Maker of Gargoyles"--are must haves for a beginning collector who doesn't want to spend a lot of money. I have seen The Emperor of Dreams, a very generous selection, for as low as $4 on Amazon! And "Return of the Sorcerer," about 20 stories, all good ones, is easily had just about anywhere! Get those 2, and you'll have plenty of Smith to get you by for awhile!

Date: 17 October, 2011 10:11AM
$433! Strewth! And I gave mine away. I still have two copies of Genius Loci in Panther - a bit scruffy. Any offers?

Date: 17 October, 2011 10:29AM
S. T. is continuing his efforts to get CAS published by Penguin Classics.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Date: 17 October, 2011 01:02PM
wilum pugmire Wrote:
> S. T. is continuing his efforts to get CAS
> published by Penguin Classics.

That would be a dream come true!

Date: 18 October, 2011 01:27AM
I have just returned from S. T.'s Penguin Classics gig at our University Bookstore, where he had a signing to coincide with the Deluxe Edition of Penguin's THE CALL OF CTHULHU AND OTHER WEIRD STORIES. Sunand mention'd that, first thing tomorrow morning, he is sending two CAS books to his Penguin editor, the books being THE LAST OBLIVION (Hippocampus Press 2002) and some mass market pb edition of Smith's finest tales (the title of which I've forgotten). He is determined to get a Smith volume from Penguin; his doubts come from Penguin's reluctance to publish books that won't sell, and they seem very uncertain about Smith's saleability. Here's wishing him mass luck with this project!

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Date: 18 October, 2011 02:14AM
Very good news indeed! If that book gets the green light, it will be a major victory for Smith and fans. And if they print one Smith book, who knows what might happen...?

I don't see any reason the book couldn't be profitable. Smith's fanbase is growing every day, and the Penguin label might have the effect of making skeptics feel like it's 'okay' to read Smith now. If they give the book a really good cover, so much the better--covers are very important. As always, it'll be all about presentation--make it look pretty enough, and someone will buy it. And the accessibility of a Penguin paperback...sales, sales, sales. Get that thing in B&N, give it some good press, give it a really cool cover, and I can't see why it wouldn't float--even if it is CAS.

I just hope the selection doesn't overlap too much with other Smith collections (if Penguin gives the go-ahead)--especially "Return of the Sorcerer," (Prime books, 2009) which is a relatively new mass market pback that saw some shelf time in Borders (and elsewhere) a couple years back. An ideal volume would contain 20-30 stories, with a selection including some of Smith's stories that don't see the light as often as some others--such as "A Vintage from Atlantis," "The Mandrakes," "The Demon of the Flower," "Vulthoom," etc.

Do keep us informed, Mr. Pugmire!

Date: 18 October, 2011 05:10AM
Most of Lovecraft's fiction has been published in Penguin Modern Classics and presumably sales went well. If they relate sales of Lovecraft to the potential sales of Smith then they should realise that they're on to a winner. As for covers, I never did get over the shock of seeing a nude female ghost on the cover of The Tomb (Panther). What would Howard have thought?

Date: 19 October, 2011 01:05AM
He would simply have torn the cover off and dropped it in the same wastebasket where he put the Brundage covers torn off from his copies of Weird Tales!

Date: 19 October, 2011 03:09AM
Ken K. Wrote:
> He would simply have torn the cover off and
> dropped it in the same wastebasket where he put
> the Brundage covers torn off from his copies of
> Weird Tales!

Did he really do that? I read somewhere that that is a myth and that HPL's collection of Weird Tales is in very good shape.

Date: 19 October, 2011 05:30AM
Martinus Wrote:
> Ken K. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > He would simply have torn the cover off and
> > dropped it in the same wastebasket where he put
> > the Brundage covers torn off from his copies of
> > Weird Tales!
>
> Did he really do that? I read somewhere that that
> is a myth and that HPL's collection of Weird Tales
> is in very good shape.

According to Joshi in I Am Providence, this is a myth. All of HPL's copies are intact and filed in the library at Brown, along with the additional issues donated by Barlow to fill in the gaps in the collection. Evidently there are a lot of misconceptions about HPL's level of prudishness.

Date: 19 October, 2011 10:38AM
Radovarl Wrote:
> According to Joshi in I Am Providence, this is a
> myth. All of HPL's copies are intact and filed in
> the library at Brown, along with the additional
> issues donated by Barlow to fill in the gaps in
> the collection. Evidently there are a lot of
> misconceptions about HPL's level of prudishness.

Yes, it's a myth. HPL himself addresses the subject of the Brundage covers in one of his letters, feeling they were silly, but also essentially stating that anyone who would be truly offended by such was a ridiculously prudish person; that the nude had a very prominent proper place in art (something to the effect that there was nothing wrong or salacious about a healthy human body save to perverts and Victorian holdovers), and the only thing wrong with these covers is that a) they were not particularly good examples of art; b) they had little or nothing to do with the contents... both of which, sadly, still remain the case with the bulk of cover art for genre works....

Date: 20 October, 2011 05:09AM
Hi jdworth
My point exactly. A nude on the cover may (or may not) improve sales, but to the best of my recollection there are no nudes in Lovecraft's fiction. Faces went missing occasionally, but never clothes.

Date: 20 October, 2011 07:37PM
asshurbanipal Wrote:
> Hi jdworth
> My point exactly. A nude on the cover may (or may
> not) improve sales, but to the best of my
> recollection there are no nudes in Lovecraft's
> fiction. Faces went missing occasionally, but
> never clothes.

Yeah, but as I recall HPL never had a WT cover while he was living. So whichever stories (which I've undoubtedly not read unless perhaps they were Conan or CAS efforts) the covers were for weren't relevant to his work... In any case, I kinda like Brundage's nudes :).

Date: 20 October, 2011 10:48PM
Radovarl Wrote:
> >
> Yeah, but as I recall HPL never had a WT cover
> while he was living. So whichever stories (which
> I've undoubtedly not read unless perhaps they were
> Conan or CAS efforts) the covers were for weren't
> relevant to his work... In any case, I kinda like
> Brundage's nudes :).

Well, there were those nude, orgiastic rites, of course, and the ghouls were nude....

As for HPL and WT covers... I'm going entirely on memory here, but as I recall, he did at least get one cover... but it was for the Canadian or British release of that particular issue, not the American printing.....

On Brundage's nudes (and WT covers in general)... for what they are, some of them are quite good; certainly they have a kitschy attraction to them; and, on a somewhat facetious note... given that her models were her daughters (at least according to the sources I've seen), de Camp's phrase "the shapely Misses Brundage" was not terribly far off....

Date: 21 October, 2011 02:57AM
jdworth Wrote:
> On Brundage's nudes (and WT covers in general)...
> for what they are, some of them are quite good;
> certainly they have a kitschy attraction to them;
> and, on a somewhat facetious note... given that
> her models were her daughters (at least according
> to the sources I've seen), de Camp's phrase "the
> shapely Misses Brundage" was not terribly far
> off....

That seems to be another myth -- according to Wikipedia, at least, Brundage didn't have any daughters...

Date: 21 October, 2011 06:18AM
jdworth Wrote:
> As for HPL and WT covers... I'm going entirely on
> memory here, but as I recall, he did at least get
> one cover... but it was for the Canadian or
> British release of that particular issue, not the
> American printing.....

It was a Canadian release of a WT issue; I recalled once you mentioned it (I just finished the Joshi HPL bio). I don't remember for which story.

Date: 21 October, 2011 10:43AM
Thanks, Martin; I hadn't looked at more modern sources, but I had my suspicions it was probably such, hence my caution... pity; it was such a good piece of fluff!

Radovarl... Thanks for the update.

Date: 22 October, 2011 03:55AM
jdworth Wrote:
> Thanks, Martin; I hadn't looked at more modern
> sources, but I had my suspicions it was probably
> such, hence my caution... pity; it was such a good
> piece of fluff!
>

It certainly was.

Date: 22 October, 2011 07:25PM
Thanks for clarifying the matter of HPL's prudishness in regards to Brundage's covers. Picturing him defacing a mint copy of Weird Tales makes for such a great story I'm not surprised it stuck with me. Oh well--the unadorned truth is better.

I also seem to recall Henry Kuttner complaining about those same covers, though not out of any disapproval of the unclad female form. His point was that such pictures were available on many pulp magazines; every time Weird Tales did so, it robbed their readership of truly weird and horrific cover paintings.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page