Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345678AllNext
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: The Last Hieroglyph has arrived!
Posted by: MorganPlus8 (IP Logged)
Date: 3 March, 2011 01:13PM
Some call me Tim Wrote:
> ...I was hoping that maybe someone
> might have an idea. Any would be appreciated!
>
> If anyone has a second copy they'd be willing to
> sell, I'd pay more than retail for it. But not
> that much more!

Did you manage to get anywhere with this?

I am in the same boat. I'd be fine to pay $100 for 'The End of the Story' but the prices I've managed yet to find. Same with Vol 3 and 4 of the Hodgson set.

I am continuing to hunt. I'll post back if I find anything useful.

Cheers,
Andrew

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 5 March, 2011 03:17PM
Patience, guys. THE END OF THE STORY will be reprinted sometime in the near future.

As for THE DOOR TO SATURN, I have a few copies left that are signed by Ron and me. Email me if interested. (I also have copies of THE LAST HIEROGLYPH signed by both editors and Dick Lupoff, who wrote the intro.)

BTW, LOCUS has a very nice review of THE LAST HIEROGLYPH in the Feb issue, by Dick.

Scott

Posted by: Some call me Tim (IP Logged)
Date: 14 April, 2011 11:58PM
Aw, crap. I missed the notice Scott posted and just payed $60 for a second printing of THE END OF THE STORY. Oh, well, I guess it's only $20 above retail. And I did only pay $20 for each of the subsequent volumes via Night Shades yearly sale... $140 for the set is not terrible, I guess, even if one isn't a first.

Found it on eBay last week. In the weeks since I posted my initial query it was the only copy to be listed and the seller graciously took an offer of double the initial asking price to close the auction and sell it to me directly.

Cheers,
~Tim

Posted by: BeneathTheEarth (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2011 11:29PM
Scott Connors Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Patience, guys. THE END OF THE STORY will be
> reprinted sometime in the near future.
>
> As for THE DOOR TO SATURN, I have a few copies
> left that are signed by Ron and me. Email me if
> interested. (I also have copies of THE LAST
> HIEROGLYPH signed by both editors and Dick Lupoff,
> who wrote the intro.)
>
> BTW, LOCUS has a very nice review of THE LAST
> HIEROGLYPH in the Feb issue, by Dick.
>
> Scott

Any word on when this reprint may be available? The first volume is the only one that I am missing and I am waiting to own a copy of it before I read the other volumes.

Posted by: Avoosl Wuthoqquan (IP Logged)
Date: 16 June, 2011 01:17PM
Pace Scott, as much as I would like to believe that this reprint is indeed around the corner (I hate the idea that the copy I own is basically irreplaceable), my advice to you would be to start reading.

Night Shade Books have a ghastly track record when it comes to deadlines. A lengthy, amusing and instructive tale of woe may be perused here: [nightshadebooks.com]

Date: 16 June, 2011 08:43PM
eek.

Well, one would think that a reprint should not take as long as they already have all the materials and all the work is completed. Just tell the book manufacturer to print up some more copies? Of course I am sure it is not that simple and I have no knowledge of the business. I hope that the demand is there. I would hate if my set was doomed to never be completed.

Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2011 03:03PM
How I LOVE LOVE LOVE these Night Shade Books editions of CAS! I have two more stories to complete with this book I am writing with Jeffrey Thomas, and then I begin work with Maryanne K. Snyder on an entire book inspir'd by the poetry & prose of CAS. I ache to begin work on this book. I've penned one wee vignette thus far, & then I try'd to come up with an idea for a CASian sf tale set on some strange planet--but the interplanetary thing eludes me and doesn't really excite me as an artist. But the preparation for the writing of this book (we already have a couple publishers who have express'd interest in it) is wonderful, diving into those NSB editions and the three gorgeous editions of poetry from Hippocampus. The trick of writing such a book, for me, is to write fiction that sounds as if it is inspir'd by CAS and not HPL. I am not certain that I can pull it off but I sure as hell is gonna try.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Date: 18 August, 2011 02:27AM
I'd still like an ETA on the reprint if you are out there Mr. Connors. Any word yet?

Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 10 October, 2011 01:14AM
I have a new video interview, by S. T. Joshi, with Scott Connors on my MrWilum channel at YouTube. Scott and S. T. dropped by this evening, and Scott has lots of news of forthcoming CAS projects.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Date: 12 October, 2011 05:24PM
BeneathTheEarth Wrote:
> I'd still like an ETA on the reprint if you are
> out there Mr. Connors. Any word yet?

I regret to report that the current economic situation makes it unlikely that there will be any reprints until late 2012 or early 2013.

Scott

Posted by: Avoosl Wuthoqquan (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2011 10:04AM
Sheesh, if I had known this in advance, I would have ordered six copies way back in '05. I'd be sitting on $3,000 now!

It's sad that this series ended up becoming so hard to complete unless you were with it from the start. CAS deserves a bigger audience and affordable editions of his work go a long way towards that, no doubt. But alas, a few years after its publication The End of the Story has already become a rare and costly tome of almost legendary status. Fitting perhaps, but also disappointing.

I don't suppose republication as an e-book would be an option?

(I know that for the full CAS experience only vellum will do, of course, but beggars can't be choosers...)

Posted by: K_A_Opperman (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2011 01:20PM
I, too, wish we could see some more affordable (paperbacks), more easily acquired CAS tomes--I could never afford all those hardcover tomes, even if I could get my hands on them! If a complete paperback series of CAS went to print, I could at last own all of his stories...and so could many others to whom he was previously inaccessible. Smith deserves for his work to be more readily accessible! The man himself would never come near being able to afford the very books in which his work occurs! Is not there some horrible CASian irony there? Something must be done about this....

The silent majority has spoken!

(Although I appreciate fine collector's editions--but not when they're the only option! I know of no other way to collect all of Smith.)

Posted by: Radovarl (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2011 01:48PM
Avoosl Wuthoqquan Wrote:
> Sheesh, if I had known this in advance, I would
> have ordered six copies way back in '05. I'd be
> sitting on $3,000 now!

If I had known, I'd've held onto the two extra copies I had (and sold), and sell them now.

Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 13 October, 2011 02:28PM
If I had known, I would not have taken mine into the bathtub with me!

Date: 13 October, 2011 05:42PM
Avoosl Wuthoqquan Wrote:
> Sheesh, if I had known this in advance, I would
> have ordered six copies way back in '05. I'd be
> sitting on $3,000 now!
>
> It's sad that this series ended up becoming so
> hard to complete unless you were with it from the
> start. CAS deserves a bigger audience and
> affordable editions of his work go a long way
> towards that, no doubt. But alas, a few years
> after its publication The End of the Story has
> already become a rare and costly tome of almost
> legendary status. Fitting perhaps, but also
> disappointing.
>
> I don't suppose republication as an e-book would
> be an option?
>
> (I know that for the full CAS experience only
> vellum will do, of course, but beggars can't be
> choosers...)

Well, I had a bunch of copies, but mostly gave them away to various friends and VIPs that I was trying to win over to advocacy of CAS. I really wish that I had a few copies left over.

I expect that there will eventually be ebook versions available from Night Shade, but there are a lot of irons in the fire. And the books will eventually be reprinted once the economy improves.

Goto Page: Previous12345678AllNext
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page