Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Kicking Against the Prick
Posted by: treycelement (IP Logged)
Date: 20 June, 2011 05:29AM
I'm kicking myself for taking so long to notice TWO things in "The Black Abbot of Puthuum." First, that Hoaraph is a palindrome of pharaoh. Second, that Zobal had never studied probability theory:

Quote:
Clark Ashton Smith, "The Black Abbot of Puthuum"
When Rubalsa had finished her dressing, the two began to look about them for such objects as might serve in the proposed sortilege. Cushara would have tossed one of the gold coins, stamped with Hoaraph's image, which had rolled from Simban's torn moneybag. But Zobal shook his head at the suggestion, having espied certain items which he thought even more exquisitely appropriate than the coin. These objects were the talons of the incubus, whose corpse had now dwindled in size and was horribly decayed, with a hideous wrinkling of the whole head and an actual shortening of the members. In this process, the claws of hands and feet had all dropped away and were lying loose on the pavement. Removing his helmet, Zobal stooped down and placed with it the five hellish-looking talons of the right hand, among which that of the index finger was the longest.
He shook the helmet vigorously, as one shakes a dicebox, and there was a sharp clattering from the claws. Then, he held the helmet out to Cushara, saying: "He who draws the forefinger talon shall take the girl."

He gave away a BIG advantage there: 60% of the time Cushara will win. I think.

Re: Kicking Against the Prick
Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 20 June, 2011 12:37PM
Well, not a palindrome, exactly. More like the word "pharaoh" spelled backwards, sort of.

Date: 22 June, 2011 05:11AM
Jojo Lapin X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, not a palindrome, exactly. More like the
> word "pharaoh" spelled backwards, sort of.

Depends how you parse the "ph." Is it two separate letters or an atomic digraph? (And how angels CAN dance on the head of pin?)

Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 22 June, 2011 05:36AM
Definition of palindrome, with examples.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22 Jun 11 | 05:37AM by Absquatch.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 22 June, 2011 06:18PM
I was a bit surprised by the direction of this post - I thought for sure someone was going to post something about Edmund Spenser - opening line of the "Faerie Queene" - "A gentle knight was pricking on the plain..."

Date: 25 June, 2011 04:50AM
Absquatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Definition of palindrome, with examples.

Ach, mea curpa. Palindrome is WRONG. I shoulda said reversal. Or something.

Another kick for the prick...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page