Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Looking for Emperor of Dreams (Gollancz)
Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 8 April, 2004 09:41PM
Hope it's ok to use this forum for this reason... if not, feel free to delete!

Having stated elsewhere that I'm beginning a rereading of CAS, I badly want a copy of EMPEROR OF DREAMS from Gollancz. I can't find a copy here in the US!

Anybody here have a copy to sell or know where I might find one?

thanks,
Roger

Re: Looking for Emperor of Dreams (Gollancz)
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 9 April, 2004 12:38AM
I ordered mine from Amazon.com.uk. Price wasn't too bad, and postage was quite reasonable. Incidentally, part of the price they quote is Value Added Tax, which they knock off for US orders. Failing that, keep an eye on eBay.
However, I'd recommend investing in A RENDEZVOUS IN AVEROIGNE instead. The Gollancz book is poorly bound on cheap paper, while the Arkham House book will be read by mutant cockroaches several millenia from now, after we destroy ourselves in a thermonuclear frenzy. The Wildside DOUBLE SHADOW also contains some excellent stories. EMPEROR OF DREAMS' selection is so eclectic as to be positively non-selective: it's almost as if they put all of CAS' stories into a hat and drew them at random (why else include "The Kiss of Zoraida?") Best, Scott

Date: 9 April, 2004 05:29PM
Hmm, I'm easily talked out of spending money, so perhaps I'll wait on this until I find a cheap copy. Having read a few CAS stories lately, I daresay I am a fan afterall, meaning I'll be obsessive about trying to get everything of his in some format.

As mentioned elsewhere I already have the Necronomicon editions of Tales of the Zothique and The Book of Hyperborea so I should read those before I get too anxious about picking up more CAS. I wish Necro had done more volumes of CAS... perhaps their editions could have been the Definitive Clark Ashton Smith?

Roger

Date: 9 April, 2004 07:00PM
Unfortunately, the Necro Press editions did not do anything to advance the tranquility of the field, and that contributed to the stresses which have lead to their current dormant state. However, something similar to what you mention is underway, we just can't talk about it just yet. Best, Scott

Date: 10 April, 2004 09:30AM
Scott Connors Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unfortunately, the Necro Press editions did not do
> anything to advance the tranquility of the field,
> and that contributed to the stresses which have
> lead to their current dormant state. However,
> something similar to what you mention is underway,
> we just can't talk about it just yet. Best, Scott

What trouble could the Necro editions have caused? Or if you told me would you have to kill me?

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2004 01:48PM
Quote:
What trouble could the Necro editions have caused?

I was wondering the same thing. Although, in general, I'm no fan of small or collectors' edition presses, I was glad to see the Necronomicon Press editions of Zothique and Hyperborea when they appeared. They were a welcome alternative to the Pocket Book "Timescape" volumes of the early '80's, which were the first CAS editions I ever owned. I was rather annoyed to learn later (It may have been here, as a matter of fact) that, despite suggestions to the contrary, the stories in the Timescape editions consisted of nothing other than reprints of the corrupt Arkham House texts. As for the Penguin query, I certainly think that it's well past time for CAS's tales to receive the Penguin annotated edition/corrected text treatment. One can hope, at any rate.

Date: 10 April, 2004 05:31PM
Kevin asks, "What trouble could the Necro editions have caused? Or if you told me would you have to kill me?"

Scott replies, "Bullet, blade or noose?"

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2004 05:42PM
Quote:
Kevin asks, "What trouble could the Necro editions have caused? Or if you told me would you have to kill me?"
Scott replies, "Bullet, blade or noose?"

Roger was the one who asked that. Sorry to disappoint you! ;-)

Date: 13 April, 2004 01:16AM
Oh dear, now I am depressed. :-(

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page