Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234All
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Zothique in D20
Posted by: George Hager (IP Logged)
Date: 7 October, 2002 08:41PM
I just sent Boyd the final version. Changes since the first version:

* More details about each god.
* Improved statistical adjustments for necromancers and cannibals.
* Monster list replaced with a detailed explanation of Zothique-style monster selection.
* 5 monsters: Cyntrom Dragon, Ghorii, Crawling Members, Lamia, Vampire Beast
* various rewrites for clarity.

Until it appears here under "miscellaneous", it will be at the link in the previous post.

Posted by: George Hager (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2002 03:58PM
Version 1.2 is online now. Thanks Boyd!

New stuff:

1) 5 new monsters (actually old D&D conversions) from Scott Greene.

2) New illustrations for each deity.

3) Yuckla, the minor god of laughter forgotten in the previous edition.

4) Minor tweaks to the old text.

5) Astrology chart

6) Extensive denials of any intellectual property claims on CAS material, in order to satisfy Arkham House's concern that I was encouraging others to steal their trademark and copyright property.

Posted by: CLShea (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2004 03:33AM
What a pity I did not read this thread (the original post, at least) when it was posted. When Dungeons & Dragons 3E was first published, I created a mini-campaign for it set in Averoigne to break myself and other players into the D20 system. I set Averoigne in the Pyrenees and found it fascinating to use as a campaign setting. I had run a campaign for 2E set on either side of the Pass of Roncesvalles, but placing Averoigne SE of there was definitely "eerie." The players were familiar enough with the actual towns of the region, so Averoigne drifted over the mental play-map like a ghost. ("A spectre is haunting the Pyrenees, the spectre of Averoigne.")

I consider Zothique to be a very interesting setting, but whether there is sufficient material to generate an entire "game world," I can't say. Considering how well Averoigne did, though, I would guess that Zothique would do well for a single campaign or two. Unfortunately, Zothique is so "exotic" that it is not as readily adaptable as Averoigne, which can effectively utilize any real world Medieval European setting as a framework.

--Christian Leopold Shea

Goto Page: Previous1234All
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page