Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234All
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: When was it significantly different?
Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 22 August, 2021 08:55PM
Sawfish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Did either of you think that you'd be marginalized
> within the traditional doctrines of your church;
> as it "evolved" from beneath you?
>

Do you mean if we were afraid we would be expelled from the church? No, we have kept a low profile. I have never been an active churchgoer. (I drop in alone from time to time, to feel the symbolic space of the high ceiling, the peaceful atmosphere, the focused spiritual dedication of the shrine. And I enjoy visiting very old churches, for cultural and historic reasons.) My mother, after she left the Catholic church, has not been active either. She seems to have struggled much more than I with her belief in God. I have been more at peace with my belief in Divine order, and the Cosmic "wheel", with every single event falling in place naturally. I never felt I needed a church to support my faith, or to feel secure, or to explain things. The outdoors, Nature, is my church.

> This is largely how I feel philosophically--what
> mystifies me. I essentially moved nowhere for the
> last 30 or so years philosophically; and now I'm
> way out there; on an island. This is essentially
> an 80s centrism.
>
> I'm not sure I've ever found a historical account
> of any preceding era where something like this has
> happened in so short a time. It is like a
> multi-generational evolution within the space of
> about 10-15 years.

Not quite sure I follow your experience here. Are you relating it to the changes in society?

Posted by: Sawfish (IP Logged)
Date: 22 August, 2021 10:23PM
Knygatin Wrote:
> Sawfish Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > Did either of you think that you'd be
> marginalized
> > within the traditional doctrines of your
> church;
> > as it "evolved" from beneath you?
> >
>
> Do you mean if we were afraid we would be expelled
> from the church? No, we have kept a low profile. I
> have never been an active churchgoer. (I drop in
> alone from time to time, to feel the symbolic
> space of the high ceiling, the peaceful
> atmosphere, the focused spiritual dedication of
> the shrine. And I enjoy visiting very old
> churches, for cultural and historic reasons.) My
> mother, after she left the Catholic church, has
> not been active either. She seems to have
> struggled much more than I with her belief in God.
> I have been more at peace with my belief in Divine
> order, and the Cosmic "wheel", with every single
> event falling in place naturally. I never felt I
> needed a church to support my faith, or to feel
> secure, or to explain things. The outdoors,
> Nature, is my church.
>
>
> > This is largely how I feel
> philosophically--what
> > mystifies me. I essentially moved nowhere for
> the
> > last 30 or so years philosophically; and now
> I'm
> > way out there; on an island. This is
> essentially
> > an 80s centrism.
> >
> > I'm not sure I've ever found a historical
> account
> > of any preceding era where something like this
> has
> > happened in so short a time. It is like a
> > multi-generational evolution within the space
> of
> > about 10-15 years.
>
> Not quite sure I follow your experience here. Are
> you relating it to the changes in society?

Starting in 2012; gay marriage; legalization and commercialization of cannabis; introduction of the concept of self-identifcation as having priority over traditionally accepted definitions of gender/race/reality; bands of seemingly post-apocalyptic survivors labeled "homeless" who are in reality simply a segment of society unwilling to live by established norms (laws/customs) sympathized with by social leadership; decriminalization of hard drugs like heroin/meth; spontaneous unlawful removal by mobs of statues with no legal sanctions or criticism; official tolerance for property crimes.

etc.

--Sawfish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The food at the new restaurant is awful, but at least the portions are large."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by: Dale Nelson (IP Logged)
Date: 23 August, 2021 10:18AM
Sawfish asked Knygatin and me: "Did either of you think that you'd be marginalized within the traditional doctrines of your church, as it "evolved" from beneath you?"

Circumstances differ as between the United States and Sweden, the latter having or having had a "state church" while the U. S. never did -- as I don't suppose I need to tell you, Sawfish.

I grew up with devout Evangelicals as parents, and one of the features of that subculture is that it has little or no trouble with people moving around among various denominations.

(Roman Catholic polemicists sometimes try to score a debating point about the Reformation, when they say that, once people turned from the papacy as the final arbiter of truth, Protestants went off in countless directions so that there are 22,000 different Protestant churches -- or whatever the number is that they cite. This is misleading because there's very little doctrinal difference between many of these administratively distinct bodies. If, for example, someone starts as a Free Methodist, moves to a new town and joins the Wesleyan church there, moves again and joins the Church of the Nazarene there, moves yet again and joins the Evangelical Free church there -- it'll be totally OK with everyone. No such person will have to renounce any doctrinal errors presumed to pervade the previous denomination, but will be received by a very simple profession of faith and a testimony of some kind of conversion experience. But for present purposes I'd say there are just a few truly distinct varieties of non-Roman Catholic, non-Eastern Orthodox Christianity known to me in the U. S. There are the mainline denominations such as the Methodists, ELCA Lutherans, the Congregationalists, etc. -- most or all of which are in fellowship with one another. This variety is where, I suppose, most of the U. S. presidents have come from, by the way. Then there are the doctrinally conservative bodies. There are the conservative Lutherans, with their catholic understanding of the sacraments. There are the Pentecostals. There are the more Calvinistic and the more Arminian evangelicals. And these would account for most of the non-RC, non-Orthodox U. S. Christians.)

From my own reading I became convinced that these churches in which I grew up were right about some things and in error about others, and after a period of exploration became an adult convert to the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. It hasn't changed its doctrine and polity* in the better part of 200 years, I believe, i.e. someone from an early LCMS root-church who time-traveled to our time and visited one of our churches would not be nonplused by what he heard from the pulpit. Conversely, someone coming from an Episcopal church of 1840 to the typical Episcopal church today would be astonished and horrified by what the woman in liturgical vestments was saying from the pulpit. An obvious impostor! A great many Episcopalians of conservative convictions have left that denomination, which has suffered a hemorrhage of membership since the 1960s or so. These people who leave ECUSA become Roman Catholics, Orthodox, conservative Lutherans, etc. or join refugee Episcopal bodies such as ACNA, the Anglican Church in, or of, North America, the Reformed Episcopal Church, etc.

There's quite a menu of church bodies in the United States from which someone can choose. That isn't the case, as far as I know, in Sweden.

*That Lutheran visitor from the past would encounter one surprise in today's LCMS, namely that adult women members of the congregation as well as men may vote on church business, e.g. whether to buy a new water heater or get the old one fixed again, etc. Churches may send women delegates to synodical conventions to represent the local congregation. There there may be votes on various matters that are generally not, I would say, of doctrinal emphasis. The LCMS is pledged to the Bible and to the Book of Concord, which is a collection of early Lutheran confessions of faith, and this core isn't up for debate. But seeing women having this degree of participation would be surprising to our visitor, as for that matter would be so many women wearing dresses that expose the knees, or -- pants!!

Date: 23 August, 2021 10:27AM
Knygatin Wrote:

> Back to sane reality. Vilhelm Moberg was a Swedish
> author who wrote a series of famous novels about
> the emigrants who settled in USA. Late in life he
> said that Sweden is not a democracy, but a
> democratorship (dictatorship pretending to be a
> democracy).

Guess what? I checked my shelves this morning and found I have a copy of Moberg's Unto a Good Land! I knew I had had one once and even used to use a passage from it as a model for descriptive writing when I taught freshman composition, but I wasn't sure the book was still around. I've never read it. I see there's an earlier book, The Emigrants, that I perhaps should read first.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 23 August, 2021 11:18AM
Dale Nelson Wrote:
>
> Guess what? I checked my shelves this morning and
> found I have a copy of Moberg's Unto a Good Land!
> I knew I had had one once and even used to use a
> passage from it as a model for descriptive writing
> when I taught freshman composition, but I wasn't
> sure the book was still around. I've never read
> it. I see there's an earlier book, The Emigrants,
> that I perhaps should read first.

The Emigrants comes first in The Emigrants (novels series).
Also, Jan Troell made a very very fine series of films based on these books, starring Max von Sydow and Liv Ullman among others.

Date: 23 August, 2021 12:46PM
> The Emigrants comes first in The Emigrants (novels
> series).
> Also, Jan Troell made a very very fine series of
> films based on these books, starring Max von Sydow
> and Liv Ullman among others.

Thanks, Knygatin. I'll likely look into both book and films.

Date: 23 August, 2021 05:41PM
Sawfish Wrote:

> When was it any different?

Until recently even most leftwing people understood that there are two sexes, period (aside from rare conditions -- hermaphroditism). There's no difference between your sex and your gender.

The radical severing of "gender" from sex has laid upon our culture a pseudo-scientific bogus thing that is widely understood as explaining phenomena.

Right. Like aether and phlogiston.

Goto Page: Previous1234All
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page