Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 1234AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 4
Any Writer's out their if so...
Posted by: rutledge_442 (IP Logged)
Date: 2 November, 2006 06:59AM
I am looking for mythos type writers.
If their is any one who has created their sort of Pantheon or gods, or if anyone out their is writing in the "Lovecraftian vein" then please tell me!

I have some stories but they havent been edited yet...cant get around to it.

i have a few of my stories posted on "Litt.com (or org)" but the server might have taken them down.

Re: Any Writer's out their if so...
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 2 November, 2006 08:09AM
Dear Rutledge - please don't be offended, but I've been part of the Grammar police too long -- "their" is the possessive -
"there" is the locative. Many people who write really well have these little problems and need someone to proof their texts. I do this for several writers, including one or two subscribers to this site - it's easy to happen even to careful spellers if they write rapidly in the heat of inspiration -- I would love to see what you doing.

Date: 2 November, 2006 09:52AM
i dont really care about my grammar on internet forums lol

could i e-mail you some of my work? i dont have much so far..

Posted by: shadowcat (IP Logged)
Date: 2 November, 2006 10:43PM
Hey there, Rutledge_442:
I run a sword and sorcery writing Yahoogroup that includes published and unpublished writers: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/swordandsorcerywriting/.
While there is an emphasis on sword and sorcery, anything in the 'cosmic horror' vein is acceptable.

Date: 3 November, 2006 05:08PM
Of course you can write to me - I would be honored to see your work -
Drf

Date: 4 November, 2006 09:40PM
i will join sword and sorcery writing group and calonlan i will eventually e-mail you my work all of this should happen before thanksgiving

Date: 7 November, 2006 05:57PM
colnlan,
I have tried e-mailing some of my work but it did not work, much to my despair.
Do you have any other e-mail addresses that I can use to get ahold of you?

Date: 8 November, 2006 02:30PM
rutledge: write to remraf3@sbcglobal.net

Date: 9 November, 2006 05:45PM
thank ye kindly sir

Posted by: David Kartas (IP Logged)
Date: 1 May, 2007 06:48AM
Havent seen this page when the discusion was on.
I write such things,allbeit in Czech.My stories include "Abvom the devourer" ,"The Most wisest Hideousnes" and "The City of the Asteroid",the later heavily influenced by CAS of witch I am a great fan (unfortunately I live in the Czech republic,so heres the only place where I can get his stories).As a writer, I am also influenced by HPL,Jorge Luis Borges,Jan Weiss (Czech author) and Robert W. Chambers and his King in Yellow.Finished 3 books (one monumentous,over 420 pages long!) called "Tales of God" (has my first works as well as first drafts and my surrealistic stories (yes,im a "weird fiction" writer and surrealist at the same time) and the founding stories of my own mythos) ,"Tales of Blue Light" (of witch I am most found ,has my stories relating to the 9 King,especialy the Blue King,Red King and Green King and the Yellow King (other name for the King in Yellow!) and "Tales of Earth",other stories.Am curently working on "The Tournament of the Gods",a detailed look on a subject from one of my first stories.I also ocasionaly write in english.Heres is the story "The Valley of the King",from my last Book.(Please excuse misspleings,often produced by an absolutely unreliable keyboard and by my own desire to let the ideas pass through without checking the grammar)

(PS:One finqal request-does anyone know where to find CASs short story "The Dome in the Ice"-meaning online?)

The Valley of the King

By David Kartaš

In Yathoia,Amanenk and Suiday,within Amalga-Manaation,none would ever show a passer-by the road that lead to The Valley of the King.For every month on the same night,unearthly screaming coverred all the land of Amalga-Manaation,that lied on the nearly sunken continent of Yothoi,that was kept above the waters by the tireless chanting of the never-resting priests in the countles monasteries at the ever crumbling shores, and reports have been gathered that this ever-echoing catatonic onomatopoeia was heard in such distant places as the Living city of Aiwaidan the Magnificent,Hormuzd's City and the twin Cities of Caledonia and Nefrit.
Two hundred thousand years ago great King Yban of Ayko-I,(witchs ruins now lie below the waters of the Grey Sea,and serve as homes for those faceles water mamals that have been said to have inhabited Yothoi in times before it rose from the ocean (as evidenced by the findings of their great,hideous monoliths in the central places of the continent,bearing their horrific script with its blasphemous hyeroglyphs,and inhuman characters with sugestions of such unearthly terrors beyond all and every creatures living mind, that their reading itself was baned by every sane king in all Yothoi and all the lands close to Yothoi) and who are reported to be the reason for the sinking of the continent through the insane fraze of impending doom,silabelled as "Yaghnai", "Yadith," "Nagara'i", and "Qa-a Adomam", (witch one night,unrememborable years ago an old sailor has thought to have overheard from within the depths and was so fascinated therewith that he emidiately went to his priest and had it recorded), although this remains unproven,for conversation with theese creatures is absolete,for they poses no voice,and comunicating with them through their scripture was proven imposible,exept by one man,who sixty thousand years ago,has said to have, in secrecy ,deciphered their script,after years of staring at their horific stone-carven head statues,fished out by unknowing fishers at Yothois shores and who claimed such blasphemies as that theese creatures were in descent from the things of horrible Ib,that escaped the slaughter witch had ended that city and spread though secret,unknown channels bellow the earths surfice and had traveled to far away lands,bearing with them the images of acursed Bokrug and teaching blasphemous men around great water reservoirs the secret chants to the Great-Water Lizard and the ancient secrets of Ib's foundation.One night,this man went to his king,bearing a ruber-like papyrus,bearing their re-writen messages,and is said to have translated to the Monarch its content,upon witch the King is reported to have gone insane and ran franticly into the sea,screaming:
"King,Ayun,bear this blaspheming child of Tir back into sweet Ralliah".A thousand men had raced into the sea to save their beloved despot,but he has disapeared so quickly, that every help has been too late,as Omankar III. sunk beneath the ways,laughing horibly.One young boy, who was the closest to the King before he vanished,has later reported that the King was not alone in the watres and that something had draged him into the sea by the leg.
However in those days but a few ship-men knew of the things that sometimes come from acursed Ralliah,or from its sister cities below the world and so the young man was dismised.They said that the shock of losing their great, generous king has caused him to lose his mind.
Whatever had truly been,none knoweth now,but what was was that the man who read his parchment to the king was brought before the stone circle and horribly sacrificed to lord Rankar,the guardian god of Yothoi,stil holding his acursed tome.When on the next night the priests came to cover the body of the deceased with tainted earth o stop the spreading of the horrible smell that would soon rise from the Temple of revenge,the holliest of Yothois temple (as his body could not be removed until his soul would be forever imprisoned in the stones) they found the skinless,eyles and organless corpse,however they found not the parchment,even when they look in all places,and that night the corpses features had,through some ironic turn of fate,obtained,acording to the laws decomposition,a faint change of expresion witch somehow closely resembled a smile.) had raised a militairy power of such greatnes,as Yothoi has never witnessed before.The King of Yathoia,Amanenk and Suiday,as well as the Kings of Fahazreda,Yü,Mokkai and Soth,all within Yothoi,and now below the oceans,all joined thi campaign as well as the soldiers of the King of the stone giants,who inhabited the South of Yothoi and who lived in their cities then as twenty thousand years before,when almost all their land had sunk.Yet they were in no need of air and so could live undisturbed,fighting of feeble atacks of the sea mamals,who wished to take their lands as their own.
And so this army marched for the goal witch the king foresaw, the obliteration of the nameles menace thas has for so long tormented all the living things on Yothoi.And so they marched and every day at night they blew the angoth-horn,from the horns of the water-bizon, witch clang so greatly,that it was heard even by departing ships on nearby islands.For a month and a day they marched,and for forty one days clang the reverberations of the angoth-horn,yet on the forty second night,not a sound had come and the next day the screamings had come once more,this time however people in Yathoia,Amanenk and Suiday,as well as in Fahazreda,Yü,Mokkai and Soth and the dimensionless capital of the Stone Giants,people had fancied that amongst the multilocular throng of shrieking voices they could distinguish the voices of their ruling kings.
After forty one further days did the only survivors,the stone giants,return.Once mighty and proud wariors,they had now draged their soul-less bodies along the woods back into their lands,and once there,speaking of what they saw in secrecy to the council of elders,who had comed to reign in place of the absent king,and on that day it was decided that they stone giants shall live in the water no more,from the reason only the vetearans of that indescribable war knew, yet witch not even torture could bring to reveal (for the new King thought that they had left the old to die and wished to learn the "true" secret of his perdition) .They only thing they ever said was right before they died on the rack,a small note saying:
"The King took the Mystery from Hyades and hid it in the valley.And on the door behind witch it lies he wrote his message and invitation."
Yet before they went,they brought from Yothoi's seaports curious stones with strange markings,reportedly ordered from the horrible stone villiages of Leng,and took them down into the deep.
Thus ended the expedition of King Yban,into the land witch the surviving stone giants have come to name The Valley of the King.

Four milion years in the meantime past,in the land of waking and dreaming alike.Forgoten Hyperborea rose and fell,True Mu had been and sunk and the new Mu had taken its place and stil Yothoi rose above the waters,yet every year less and less remained of this proud continent,who in lenght far out-numbered the Empiere of Hangey and the Dynasty that followed,the land to whom the Everlasting Empiere fell as a tributary,and witch even the High Priests of Sarnath did come to bless,before that horrible night, a thousandth in succession.

Then on the eve of William the illegitimate,the last ship left the last port of Yothoi,witch already began to fill up with water.
As they sailed of,the last 800 souls who fought their way aboard the ship,they met many vesels to whom theirs was a giant.As they heard the frenzy of the sailors of the smaller ships,they sighed,remembering the tales of Yothoi in its prime,when a ship such as theirs would be but a rowboat compared to those of the merchant ports.Then they met Him.He sailed on the seas,silent and malevolent,on a small boat made of a tree.He looked to them and upon his face they saw who he was.And when he spoke,he read aloud a parchement that he held in his left hand.And when the first words were uttered,they realised that what he held was the text of that forgotten blasphemer,who had murdered King Omankar.And they runed around and tried not to hear and when they found they could not they sat around and wept for their own sanity.But then one rose and began to fight and more and more begant to do so as the document was read,until all had shared the coming blooshed.Mother killed son,brother killed brother,man killed woman.Soon,the waters around the ship turned violet with the liquid of war,to the lenght that some had jumped from board to drink its esence,when he could no longer find an open neckt o feast on.And as even the insane prefer the shorter way to their utmost desired goal,there jumped not one but a dozen and then two and three,until at lenght the ship became barren.When he who had read alloud saw this,he hid away the question of Hastur and turned his ship toward Albion,the place of his exile.

Yet on board there remained one alive who had come to know the message.And when he woke to full counsciousnes,he turned the wheel and made course into the home he had so vulgarly deserted.When at last the ship had reached where the port once once,there peared aloft the trees witch stood within the Valley.He laid the ankor (for the ship was made to be manned even by a single man) and set about to walk amongst theese places,as no man has ever done afore,and walking toward the great circular temple in the sky,had read the message on the gate and knowing now the answer,spoke aloud,walked within and became one with the Mystery of the Hyades.

The son of the Nameless Emperor,who himself was born son of Y'ackei,smiled,laughing how their war was ended with what it began,making the loss of their empiere a humorous joke.About this he rejoiced as he entered the Williams castel and sat behind the veil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 1 May 07 | 06:51AM by David Kartas.

Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 1 May, 2007 02:58PM
If some one can provide some kind editorial services to David, I will move this to the more appropriate tributes section.

Thanks,
B

Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2011 06:34PM
I am now working as a full-time writer of Lovecraftian weird fiction and would like to encourage more writers to experiment with this sub-genre. There is so much yet to be express'd. My one suggestion is that you "stay with Lovecraft" rather than try to incorporate aspects of the Mythos added by Derleth and so many others. Lovecraft as Muse is amazing, and by carefully studying his texts you will find so many hints that will trigger your own imagination and start you off on writing fiction that, although inspir'd by HPL, is decidedly your own. My one plea is that new writers to the Mythos be serious in their approach to writing Lovecraftian horror. Cute stories about Cthulhu are trivial and tiresome. Try to be as original as you can be, and write the best prose of which you are capable. This is homage to a Master, and as such should be worthy as tribute.

There is a growing market, or so it seems, for Mythos fiction. Next month we will have NEW CTHULHU--THE RECENT WEIRD from Prime Books and THE BOOK OF CTHULHU from Night Shade Books. I regret that the name "Cthulhu" is now THE marketing tool for such tomes, but that seems to be the case; indeed, Titan, the company that is reprinting S. T.'s BLACK WINGS anthology, has retitled the book BLACK WINGS OF CTHULHU. Books such as Ellen Datlow's LOVECRAFT UNBOUND and S. T.'s BLACK WINGS (now an on-going series of anthologies) seem to hint of interest from professional editors, where once most such volumes were poorly edited by amateurs who had a very poor sense of that which constitutes good writing.

Being a Mythos writer means, mostly, being a small press writer with books that see a very slim print-run. You won't get rich, but if you are sincere in your efforts, you will be richly rewarded emotionally and aesthetically.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12 Aug 11 | 06:36PM by wilum pugmire.

Posted by: K_A_Opperman (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2011 02:37AM
I also write what could be called "Lovecraftian" fiction--but never with direct mention of any of his gods, or texts, etc.

Actually, my fiction and story ideas had Lovecraftian leanings before I even knew who he was, or had read anything by him. When someone in a college writing class of mine told me my story reminded them of Lovecraft--whom I still thought of as 'some strange cult leader,' or the like--I knew I had to seek him out! And so I did--and I couldn't get enough. My life was never the same again.

I'm pretty sure I would be writing Lovecraftian stories whether or not Lovecraft had ever existed. But since he did it all first, every other writer with similar leanings must forever live in his shadow. But still, there's no denying that the man was the best at what he did. There will only ever be one Lovecraft--which is true of all great writers.

Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2011 10:36AM
K_A_Opperman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also write what could be called "Lovecraftian"
> fiction--but never with direct mention of any of
> his gods, or texts, etc.
>

Have you read Ellen Datlow's LOVECRAFT UNBOUND? Many people seem to have disliked the book because they found the fiction wasn't what they thought of as "Lovecraftian," and Ellen specifically banned any story that would use the cliches of Cthulhu Mythos fiction. The book is extraordinarily good because of the excellent writing, and it is fascinating to see the way that HPL has influenc'd modern weird artists. I thought that this might be the way of the future for we who write the stuff professionally, but all of a sudden the name "Cthulhu" is taking over. Next month will feature two new anthologies, NEW CTHULHU--THE RECENT WEIRD from Prime Books and THE BOOK OF CTHULHU from Night Shade Books. The name of Lovecraft's monster is nigh so potent that Titan Books, who will be reprinting S. T. Joshi's BLACK WINGS, has changed the title to BLACK WINGS OF CTHULHU!!! I thought perhaps, with new commercial editors taking an interest in bringing out Lovecraft-themed books, that we were getting completely away from the Cthulhu thing, but now I ain't so certain. However, it is an excellent time, if one writes exclusively for the small press, to be a Lovecraftian author, for the small press is humming with eldritch lore.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Posted by: K_A_Opperman (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2011 12:49PM
I haven't read Datlow's anthology, but it has been on my Lovecraftian radar for some time. I've read reviews and and synopsi (is that a word?), and the volume appears quite interesting.

Lovecraft-wise, I've had my hands full with "Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos." It may sound like heresy, but I was a little bored by the volume. But then again, I'm only two thirds through. Aside from the core canon, I've also read the revisions--the primary one's, anyway; the secondary revisions I found to be frightfully boring, for the most part.

A more fascinating read was "The New Lovecraft Circle," edited by Price. So far, it is my favorite Lovecraftian volume not by the Old Gent himself. But perhaps Datlow's tome will challenge this...

Goto Page: 1234AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page