Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 1234AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 4
Where Would CAS Publish His Poetry Today?
Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 5 August, 2010 09:35PM
The "weird poetry" thread got me to thinking: If CAS were alive today, where would he publish his poetry (if anywhere)? I am thinking here of magazines or journals, and not of book publishers. Does anyone here have any thoughts? I am at a loss, myself!

Re: Where Would CAS Publish His Poetry Today?
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 6 August, 2010 08:46AM
Absquatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The "weird poetry" thread got me to thinking: If
> CAS were alive today, where would he publish his
> poetry (if anywhere)? I am thinking here of
> magazines or journals, and not of book publishers.
> Does anyone here have any thoughts? I am at a
> loss, myself!

Same as before - The Auburn Journal newspaper - unfortunately, or by desktop (though someone else would have to do it for him - I cannot imagine Clark sitting at a computer - it would frighten him beyond imagining. == assuming of course, that he had arrived at this point with the same background, and childhood ethos which is subsumed in the question - otherwise, were he 18 years old right now - hmmm
he might have been swallowed up by Dungeons and Dragons, who knows what an authentic genius who is truly sui generis might do in today's world - surely there are some - but the question is important - how will they reveal themselves?

Date: 6 August, 2010 12:25PM
I had more in mind whether there are any literary magazines or journals in existence that might host CAS's poetry, but I suspect that any genuine poet today would have to self-publish. If anyone knows of any such periodicals, however, it would be most interesting.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 6 August, 2010 12:31PM
A Facebook page for his stories, and Haiku poems on Twitter? :)

Anyone can become famous today.

I don't believe a CAS would have been possible today. He was an outgrowth of his particular Age. Talent today expresses completely differently, through other resources and tools.

Date: 7 August, 2010 02:26AM
Absquatch Wrote:

> I still wonder whether literary journals or
> magazines exist that might publish someone such as
> CAS, today--that is, a real poet--along the lines
> of the literary journals that once published the
> work of CAS and Sterling.

The poster ArkhamMaid had her poetry published in a magazine called "The Willows".

Date: 7 August, 2010 03:09AM
Absquatch Wrote:

> I also believe that their are still poets who
> choose to express themselves through poetry, and
> not by "other resources and tools" (Aside: What
> might these be? Song lyrics?).

The communication mediums people use, and consume, change over time. Books were more central in CAS's time. Is there basis today, without multiple distractions (such as popular music, TV, movies, Internet) for the long patience in building up the literary language and solid profoundity and depth CAS had?

I am sure there may be good poets living today. But in general, I believe exceptional talent of today expresses through other mediums. CAS, Lovecraft, Howard, etc, were Gods of their era. The expressive Gods of today are more to be found within music and movie magics.

Posted by: The English Assassin (IP Logged)
Date: 7 August, 2010 08:42AM
Unless I'm very much mistaken, effectively CAS wrote short storied for the money, which I doubt would be viable today. So surely today CAS would be forced into using the novel form (although, sadly, I accept that the novel is far from being in its zenith as an artistic medium), which is potentially poetic and would probably cut him some slack in getting poems published in whatever journals that poems are published in today. I'm not sure how many people make a living out of poetry alone today, but not many I bet. I suppose most poets make a living from lecturing on creative writing degrees, so maybe a 21st century CAS could do this. I can't see him being the greatest screen writer (too greater emphasis on plot, I think) in the world and while film can be highly artistic it is a collaborative medium and, without being an expert on CAS, I don't feel that this would be a natural direction for him. Maybe a video artist? But then would CAS have any time for conceptual art? Probably not... Music, maybe? But if music was his thing then why not have explored it in the 30s? Maybe today he's have more opportunity, I suppose. Out of interest, what were CAS' musical tastes? One things for sure, judging from CAS' pictorial artistic attempts, it's unlikely that he would have made a famous painter! :)

Date: 7 August, 2010 09:03AM
I have written elsewhere on Clark's musical tastes, but for a refresher - the Sully's were the resident Culture Vultures of Auburn, and had taken Clark to the Symphony in Sacramento - also, Auburn itself was very active with several choirs of some skill, a local orchestra, and performances of major musicals in the local auditorium - Clark was "taken" to a number of these - he preferred the classics - "the music of the spheres" if you please - remember the line from his poem where speaks a "a dumb ditty called Sweet Adeline" - The Happy Hour did not have a "Juke" box, and if it had, anyone playing it would have found it very unpleasant; he deliberately limited his exposure to "pop" music, and of course, had no radio. I played Chopin and Bach for him on my piano, and sang Schubert Lieder at the Count's. All of which he admired greatly.

Date: 7 August, 2010 09:43AM
Quote:
Is there basis today, without multiple distractions (such as popular music, TV, movies, Internet) for the long patience in building up the literary language and solid profoundity and depth CAS had?

This is an interesting question, because CAS was in fact unusually precocious, and he developed his poetic gifts very quickly. I have read that one common denominator in cases of precocious genius is that, as children, the geniuses in question were exposed primarily to adult company, and had comparatively little exposure to their peers in age (siblings excepted). This pattern certainly fits CAS's early life.

So, it seems that not only are pop culture and technological diversions a distraction that would interfere with literary genius, but, in our overly-social climate, so is socialization by child peers, rather than primarily by adults.

As for literary journals, I know that many of the most "prestigious", which are affiliated with colleges or universities, receive such a large number of poems for potential publication that MFA students, or even upper-class English majors, act as "gatekeepers" and do the bulk of the first readings. CAS today would be lucky even to have his work read by an actual editor before rejection, let alone to have his poems accepted. A perusal of the Poet's Market shows that even journals that I would consider to be relatively non-descript routinely receive between 5,000 and 10,000 submissions, annually, of which they'll accept maybe one or two percent. Gresham's Law is more alive than ever, in the field of contemporary poetry.

Date: 7 August, 2010 12:15PM
Absquatch Wrote:

> So, it seems that not only are pop culture and
> technological diversions a distraction that would
> interfere with literary genius, but, in our
> overly-social climate, so is socialization by
> child peers, rather than primarily by adults.

Also, the Industrial Age, that was developing during 1800s and 1900s, is now fully realized, giving materialism to everybody. Even poor people sit at home watching TV, etc. So very few manage to avoid being tainted by the "overly-social climate".

Posted by: The English Assassin (IP Logged)
Date: 7 August, 2010 03:38PM
calonlan Wrote:
> The
> Happy Hour did not have a "Juke" box, and if it
> had, anyone playing it would have found it very
> unpleasant; he deliberately limited his exposure
> to "pop" music, and of course, had no radio.

That's what I would have expected. The more I read and find out about CAS, the more I love him.

Date: 8 August, 2010 02:54AM
Knygatin Wrote:

> poor people
> sit at home and watch TV. Very few manage
> to avoid being tainted by the "overly-social
> climate".

Materialism, and democracy ad absurdum, has given the uneducated and vulgar the dominant voice. The intellectual cultural elite and aristocracy has been removed from educating authority, and instead we are force-fed by the garbage "reality shows" of the masses.

Date: 8 August, 2010 08:33AM
Quote:
Materialism, and democracy ad absurdum, has given the uneducated and vulgar the dominant voice. The intellectual cultural elite and aristocracy has been removed from educating authority

Indeed, and, from what I have seen of it, this state obtains in modern/post-modern "poetry", as well. After all, why shouldn't poetry mirror the Zeitgeist? That's why I was curious to learn whether there any literary magazines or journals that publish genuine poetry, today, and where CAS's poems might have found welcome.

Date: 8 August, 2010 08:11PM
Knygatin Wrote:
> Absquatch Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > So, it seems that not only are pop culture and
> > technological diversions a distraction that
> would
> > interfere with literary genius, but, in our
> > overly-social climate, so is socialization by
> > child peers, rather than primarily by adults.
>
> Also, the Industrial Age, that was developing
> during 1800s and 1900s, is now fully realized,
> giving materialism to everybody. Even poor people
> sit at home watching TV, etc. So very few manage
> to avoid being tainted by the "overly-social
> climate".

Collateral comment to this thread: My eldest daughter teaches in Oklahoma - MA in English lit -
Using the Doman-Delacato Early reading kit (originally from the "Institute for Human Achievement" in Philadelphia - mid 60's - we began teaching her to read at age 6 months; by the third grade, she read at 11th grade level and would rather read than eat - of course the home ethos encouraged reading and the fine arts also - She began her career teaching HS English - during that time, a colleage in the biology department lost her job for teaching that men and women have an equal number of ribs - and, of course, in rural OK, everbuddy know that men have one less, count of God tuk one to make Eve, and it's in the Bahbull - (sorry) - she herself got into trouble teaching a unit on Renaissance Art, because some students ratted her out to their parents that she was teaching "Catholicism" - heresy among the primitive Baptists (well-named group) - She is now teaching "special ed." only - the other day I asked her why, and she replied that it is too discouraging because none of the kids care, and the frustration of trying lift them out their "comfort level" of lethargic ignorance had just become too great - and the Special Ed kids are always comparatively happy, thankful, and easy to work with. - It breaks my heart - at least her own kids are inheritors of the legacy -

Posted by: J. F. Uccello (IP Logged)
Date: 9 August, 2010 08:14AM
It seems to me that CAS was a freak (in the good sense) even in his own time, as were HPL and REH. These men were loner isolationists in the world of America at that time. In our filth-ridden and TV-asleep modern era, they would have been crushed at an even earlier age. Sorry to expound this bleak view, but originally seeing the title of this post made me feel a pang of absurdity. Poetry was turning into an autobiographical modernist joke at the time of CAS. He was a complete anomaly, even though there was still a vestigial remnant or traditional awareness and appreciation of the kind of Symbolist and exquisitely ancient verse he created.

My sense is that there is not a single popular venue out there that would even look at the work of CAS, let alone publish it.

Recently, in deep reading of CAS's poetry, I have the feeling that we are lucky that it has survived to reach us. We are in the deep minority, lovers of ancient and Symbolist conception. CAS was the last of a movement that was seeing its explosive heyday in 1890's Europe. When I read CAS aloud, I feel as if I am connecting with a distant ancestry and past that has no relation to this modern world and the kind of words it values.

Please excuse my rampant pessimism...

[www.viatoriumpress.blogspot.com] Dedicated to the Weird.

Goto Page: 1234AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page