Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Where Would CAS Publish His Poetry Today?
Posted by: Eldritch Frog (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2010 09:24PM
Hippocampus Press of course!

Posted by: Absquatch (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2010 06:33AM
Again, *sighs*, I was thinking of literary magazines, and not book publishers. By the near-complete lack of suggestions for the former, though, I am assuming that there must not be any, which answers my question!

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2010 12:56PM
Nothing to do but to start your own!

Date: 13 August, 2010 03:57PM
Quote:
Nothing to do but to start your own!

I wish it were that easy! Also, I have the feeling that, given the state of poetry, today, filling each issue with quality material would be all but impossible.

Posted by: Noivilbo (IP Logged)
Date: 24 August, 2010 06:14AM
There are many venues CAS would probably be publishing his poetry in if he were writing today. Which writers today don't use the internet? Surely, if he were still alive, the old sorcerer would be using the "internets." Just look at Ralan.com for weird poetry markets, or duotrope.com for a more comprehensive list. Weird Tales, Space and Time & Star*Line come immediately to mind, but there are scores of others. There are also publications which accept only formal poetry, some no matter the genre providing the verse is good. --Noivilbo Tsal

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 24 August, 2010 10:46AM
There is a bit of a problem in the context of some of this thread - "quality material"? "good" work"? Most publications from the past have an abundance of the mediocre - other than the plainly banal - a publisher should be open to letting stuff in that he himself may not "get" - I would be very reluctant, based on history, to only publish stuff my own judgment ruled worthy - Vast amounts of great work received very adverse reactions on its first appearance, but time has often ruled against that which was the prevailing mode, and lifted up that which was condemned - Were I to do a magazine today, I would print damn near anything that was submitted and let the readers decide - few indeed will be great, some will be worth at least one read, and the majority will be garbage - so what?
It was ever thus!
The seventeenth century considered Shakespeare "rude and rustic" - but who does their plays today?

Date: 24 August, 2010 12:45PM
To address Calonlan's point, my reference to quality material was mildly facetious, but only mildly so. My personal opinion of most modern poetry that I have read, including contemporary work, is very low. Little of it rises even to the level of being called poetry, in my opinion.*

What's interesting is that, from what I can tell, most "reputable" literary magazines and journals take exactly the opposite of Calonlan's approach. Poetry magazine, for instance, receives over 90,000 submissions per year. It would obviously be impossible to publish all of that. In consequence, and to maintain its "elite" reputation, Poetry magazine accepts around 300-350 poems for publication per year.

Of course, that is at the "top" of the market. Even journals with a far lesser reputation than Poetry's accept five percent or fewer of the poems submitted to them annually. Under these circumstances, and as I mentioned in a previous post, MFA students, or even upper-year English majors, act as "gatekeepers" and do the bulk of the first readings of submissions. As I also mentioned, CAS today would be lucky even to have his work read by an actual editor before rejection, let alone to have his poems accepted. Literary journals' extreme selectivity is not only fact of contemporary life; it is likely more extreme now than it has ever been in the past. One of the many detrimental side-effects of an exploding population, I suppose....

I urge those who are interested in this subject to read David Alpaugh's excellent article "The New Math of Poetry" in the Chronicle of Higher Education. This article was a real eye-opener, for me. It helped to explain why those who do not follow the proper "po-biz" career track (MFA degree; networking/brown-nosing; teaching post; early publications facilitated by aforementioned brown-nosing; list of poetry prizes won in cover letter) can pretty well forget about ever having their poetry published in any selective journal, today.

Not that any of that necessarily matters, of course, but I just wondered whether there might be a decent journal somewhere that would consider publishing CAS--ideally, this would not be self-publication on the Web, or in a journal within the "weird literature/SF" ghetto. As one commentator suggested, one of the few "formalist" journals might be the best bet.

* Please, no flames for this statement of mine. I'd prefer that this thread not be derailed into an argument over the merits and demerits of modern poetry. As I have mentioned, I am sure that there are plenty of "unpublished, inglorious Miltons" in the modern era, too. I just question whether that will ever be able to publish in today's climate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24 Aug 10 | 12:49PM by Absquatch.

Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2010 04:40AM
A Smith active today would, of course, not write the kind of poetry the Smith we know did.

Date: 25 August, 2010 08:35AM
Quote:
A Smith active today would, of course, not write the kind of poetry the Smith we know did.

Perhaps not, but he wouldn't write like Williams, Eliot, Pound, Moore, Rich, or Benjamin Peret, either.

Posted by: Eldritch Frog (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2010 10:35AM
Besides Donald Sidney-Fryer's excellent "Atlantis Fragments", are there any other great poets in the last 30 years I should be aware of? If so, please name the books I should look up and try!

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2010 02:12PM
I think some of the poets have already been mentioned, but maybe in another thread: Richard L. Tierney, Leigh Blackmore Ann K. Schwader, Franklyn Searight, and Fred Phillips (OK, Fred's first collection hasn't been published yet -- it'll be out from Hippocampus Press in December -- but IMO his poetry is great.)

Posted by: Gill Avila (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2010 02:23PM
I wonder if CAS would be able to publish anywhere today. Look at the phony "poetry" in Asimov's. They're just paragraphs arbitrarily chopped up into separate lines. Not a single rhyme; how can you memorize something that has no rhythms? His prose poems were better than the "free verse" crap that's ubiquitous today. I hate kvetching.

Date: 25 August, 2010 07:59PM
Saw this weird pic on Google Earth. Could it be the location of CAS's Mhu Thulan in ancient Hyperborea?

At 70* North, 40* West in Greenland, there is a massive, marbled prism submerged in the snow, and a censored block as well.

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Date: 27 August, 2010 08:23PM
(We need an HPL thread.)// This is definitely Lumley/Lovecraft country. The spawn of Shudde-Mell from lost G'Harne.

[www.boingboing.net]

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 28 August, 2010 04:27PM
Gill Avila Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Saw this weird pic on Google Earth. Could it be
> the location of CAS's Mhu Thulan in ancient
> Hyperborea?
>
> At 70* North, 40* West in Greenland, there is a
> massive, marbled prism submerged in the snow, and
> a censored block as well.
>
> [www.huffingtonpost.com]
> rth-pictures-the_n_690836.html#s130126

the marbled block is no doubt an alien craft - the censored section is probably a picture of Ms Huffington in the nude -

Goto Page: Previous1234AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page